SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Octane Rating

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-02, 01:21 PM
moshlub
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally posted by do-luck sc
you guys are lucky, in so cali, all that i see now are 91 octane. they used to have 92, but not anymore. does anyone know where i can get 92+ octane?

i hear 76 has 92, but haven't found any. chevron and mobile has 91 also
California has 91 octane all over the place (if you look carefully, you can see where they put the 91 octane sticker over the 92 octane sticker). Sucks! I heard it was due to higher prices of 92 octane gas, but could be more than that. Probably has to do with the smog regulation effort.

Anyway, if you ask around, there are places that sell up to 102 octane gas. But beware! It is expensive, like $5+ per gallon. The one place where I know they sell 98 and 102 octane does not allow you to fill directly to your fuel tank. You have to put the gas into a container and then in your car off the property.

One of my friends had a 95 Trans Am, and tried the 102 gas. When the gas hit the injectors, he felt an instant surge in power. Unfortunately, when he went back to premium 91 octane, his knock sensor didn't readjust back. :eek: Costed him bundles to get it the sensor replaced.
Old 02-06-02, 01:37 PM
mjames08
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Octane Rating

Originally posted by JohnnySC
Does anyone here not use 93 octane???

They only sell 91 octane around here now, so that's what I use
Old 02-06-02, 03:01 PM
trebien
Driver

Supposedly, ther was a link to be able to search for high octane stations.

I think it was : http://www.racegas.com/Racegas/gt100locals/default.asp

But I can't get it to work right now.

Also, I think you could search at http://www.sunocoinc.com or http://www.sunoco.com for locations.
Old 02-06-02, 03:18 PM
007lexus
Driver

Originally posted by Lex Luthor
Boy, you guys have it rough. We have up to and including 94 octane here (Sunoco), there's also a small gas station that carries CAM2 not far from here, they have a few varieties, but the 100 octane unleaded is what I used to go there for, everything higher is leaded and is therefore not too bueno for the O2 sensors, as i'm sure you know. Also real close to me is McArthur Airport, there's a guy there we know that sells us 116octane airplane fuel, you have to put it in containers, can't pull your car right up to pump, hehe. I used to us it on my tune port motor (11.25:1 compression on the street) and spike the tank with a gallon or two of it when I went to the track. Man, that 116octane Petrol is great stuff, it's Purple, and it smells sooo sweet when you burn it, my tailpipe used to smell just like cotton candy, that's how we knew if a guy wanted to set up a run with us and was running serious compression, sniff that tailpipe. In the SC I run 93octane, any of the name brands, and I use a 20oz. Techron with 1/4 to 1/2 tank of gas every couple thousand miles. By the way Art, ask your Lexus service manager the real reason they say to use the Techron regularly. It's because they don't change fuel filters, too many problems with stripped fittings, they just order case after case of Techron. I gave the local Lexus dealer the fifth degree on this (they are supposed to be one of the best, but i've discovered they know far less about these cars than some of us do, they weren't even using Dex-Cool on services until recently, they've never seen a 1UZ-FE apart, nor do they even know what it looks like in there, I found myself teaching them, literally the whole service/parts dept was listening to me as I described the reciprocating assembly, I couldn't believe I had to school these guys) I asked them if they get a car in w/ 150K miles w/ the original fuel filter, they won't change it??? I couldn't believe his candor when he said 'no.'

hey lex,
I used to use octane booster 103+ in my audi 5cyl. The first time that I put this stuff in there she ran like a champ. Will this hurt our sc400/300? I'm thinking of using it on my SC but not sure it might cause damage.

Is using octane booster regularly recommended/safe? And how much octane rating is safe?

Anyone please respond with your ideas or experiences and also url links is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Old 02-06-02, 04:24 PM
Red93sc400
Pole Position

Lex:
So that's why the say to use Techron eh? I will hold some feet to the fire next time i'm in there. I want to order some coils so I will ask if they have fuel filters. If they do not have them in stock, then that would lend credence to your data. They do not carry coils in my dealer's parts department. He has never had one in either.

Hey, we are lucky with our abilty to get 94 octane Sunoco and Amoco and 93 Mobile here in the east eh Lex? I guess in those states with higher elevations the high test does not burn well and in smog controlled California the higher octane is not available. Live and learn.

Of course we pay thru the nose for this stuff here in NY and CT and MA. Sunoco 94 is running close to $1.49 per gallon here in CT. We have a 21 cents per gallon state tax on gasoline. That is what drives up the darned cost so much. They got rid of tolls and tax the gas. The state makes more per gallon than the service station does I'll betcha.
Old 02-06-02, 08:09 PM
Nico
Driver School Candidate

Default OZ

Here in Ozzie (Sydney, Australia)

The highest rating octance fuel we have is 98, regular is 91 octance (unleaded), Premium from BP is 95 Octance and Caltex Premium has 96 Octance.

Our Optimax (shell station) cleans the engine while running the car (they say) has 98 Octance RON and the price is 6 cent more then Regular Unleaded (AU$0.75 a litre - AU$0.85 a litre) (91 RON).

You can also put more Octane rating on Optimax, just add an Octane Plus Additive (AU$7.95) which give 6 Octane more, for e.g. Optimax is 98 + 6 = 104 Octane

I always use Optimax and gear changing is more smoother and goes abit harder.
Old 02-06-02, 08:31 PM
abutler696
Lead Lap

Just out of curiousity....everyone post the average premium gas prices per gallon in your town.

$1.25 for 92-93.5 octane in Montgomery, AL
Old 02-06-02, 09:23 PM
moshlub
Intermediate

Average $1.45 per gallon for Chevron 91 Octane Supreme Unleaded -- Sacramento, CA
Old 02-06-02, 09:46 PM
Lex Luthor
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

007, I don't recommend any of the octane boosters, i've seen some testing that shows that the 'octane in a can' is not good for the combustion chambers, whereas the real stuff (octane rating in laymans terms being a resistance to burn) is supposed to actually be good for the motor. Truth is, if you don't need the octane, you won't benefit from it anyway, and i've seen a couple guys dyno a bit less hp, actually. On a stock or mild modded SC, anything above 94 octane is a waste, until you get into advanced timing, forced induction, chemical power adder, high compression, or the like. My Formula used to run about a tenth off with 116 octane on muscle, but it was necessary for N2O runs with 11:1 compression, which many said wouldn't work, but we did it with a small (58cc) combustion chamber, narrowing the quench area, and it ran great, even handled a 150 shot on the street with 94 octane Sunoco and 4deg initial timing. These SC's have much more accurate and responsive knock detection than the domestic stuff, you can actually run 87 octane if you were so inclined, it just won't give you all the timing advance and it'll feel a bit sluggish, but the ECM won't let the motor pre-ignite for long enough to burn a piston or anything like that. Oh, and gas prices here are disgusting, but don't get me started on that.
Old 02-06-02, 10:33 PM
AutoCoutureSC
Lexus Fanatic

i swear, you can't trust anyone with your car. the dealers... grrr
Old 02-06-02, 11:21 PM
lex400sc
Lexus Fanatic

$1.41/gal for 91 Chevron w/ Techron in Dublin, CA

I was always told that super high octane gas (like 110+ ??) didn't make much a difference unless your engine was built for it?
Old 02-07-02, 02:54 AM
MadMaxSC400
Lexus Test Driver

I saw an Audi 6 cyl turbo lose almost 20 hp on the dyno from his baseline using premium to his next run later on using regular.. really doesn't help those things
Old 02-07-02, 08:07 AM
supercoupes
Lead Lap

Default 98 here ...

Here in Switzerland, 95 is standard, 98 (which is what I use) is premium. The downside ... 1 gallon = USD 3.75 :eek:
Old 02-07-02, 08:48 AM
Lex Luthor
Lexus Champion

$3.75/gal, that's rough. Had a friend from Norway that told me he was paying over $4/gal. Ouch. Hehe, that's why motorbikes are so popular in Europe, and the Renault5 turbo is the official terror of London streets, fantastic acceleration and great great miles per gal. Just 'chip it' and go. Max, 20hp? That's huge, bro.

- Jon
Old 02-09-02, 03:08 AM
additude
Intermediate

Default Re: I ONLY PUT 91 OCTANE IN MY SC!

Originally posted by hellasboy
91 is the highest you're going to find in Colorado and that's because of the altitude. There is 1 place in the Denver metro area that has 93.5 octane which is routinely cheaper than the 91 octane places but I don't think the gas is as 'clean' as the CO stations (Conoco, Texaco, Amoco, etc).
You might want to think about that. Most independents buy their gas from the major suppliers. There is no difference. I know Phillips Petroleum sells to a lot of independents.

There are only so many refineries and refineries are expensive.

Quick Reply: Octane Rating