Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Octane Rating

Does anyone here not use 93 octane???
Old 02-06-02, 10:39 AM
Red93sc400
Pole Position

Yes, that is all I use in the SC400, either Sunoco, Aamoco or Mobile. Why do you ask?
Old 02-06-02, 10:43 AM
JohnnySC
Lexus Test Driver

Part of the reason I ask is because I saw this guy at lunch putting 87 octane in his Acura TL and I was like "WTF, I don't even put that ***** in my lawnmower!!" Yep, even the lawnmover gets 93 octane

The other reason I ask is because we finance alot of gas stations and I just got off the phone with a guy who has seen revenues drop $500k in a year and he said it was because gas prices have dropped.
Old 02-06-02, 10:50 AM
Red93sc400
Pole Position

Oh, well. Our owner's manuals tell us to use high octane permium unleaded gasoline. So that is what I use. In my lawn mower, I use regular. It starts easier. High Octane gasolines have a retardant in them that can cause two cycle engines to start hard or not at all. Learned about this from listening to Car Talk on National Public Radio. You know, the Click and Clack brothers. They are Funny.
Old 02-06-02, 10:52 AM
skininja
Rookie

Yeah I use 93 Octane, and try to use Chevron Techron whenever I can .... I would feel guilty even putting 91 in my schweet SC.

Does anyone know why everyone says to stay away from BP? When my parents got a Nissan minivan a few years ago, the saleman said "Don't use BP Gas!"

Would use Sunoco if I could ... I hear they have 94 octane here in Ohio
Old 02-06-02, 10:55 AM
AutoCoutureSC
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
you guys are lucky, in so cali, all that i see now are 91 octane. they used to have 92, but not anymore. does anyone know where i can get 92+ octane?

i hear 76 has 92, but haven't found any. chevron and mobile has 91 also
Old 02-06-02, 11:00 AM
JohnnySC
Lexus Test Driver

BP was bad, but they have since merged with Amoco so the stations have better gas now.
Old 02-06-02, 11:06 AM
Red93sc400
Pole Position

do-luc:
I too use Chevron Techron, the pure stuff in the black long necked bottle. It runs about $6 a bottle at Pepboys. I put in one bottle at the beginning of each month. It was reccomended to me by the head Lexus mechanic at my Lexus dealer. He said it really does work in keeping the injectors clean and removing varnish and other buildup.
Old 02-06-02, 11:41 AM
ChrisK
Lead Lap

Red93sc400,

If I'm not mistaken the $6 dollar Chevron Techron bottle only covers up to 12 gallons of gas. For our cars you would need to get the big bottle, that costs $9.99, that covers up to 20 gallons. Unfortunately, they are not as easy to find.
Old 02-06-02, 11:54 AM
hellasboy
Lexus Test Driver

Talking I ONLY PUT 91 OCTANE IN MY SC!

91 is the highest you're going to find in Colorado and that's because of the altitude. There is 1 place in the Denver metro area that has 93.5 octane which is routinely cheaper than the 91 octane places but I don't think the gas is as 'clean' as the CO stations (Conoco, Texaco, Amoco, etc).
Old 02-06-02, 12:29 PM
Red93sc400
Pole Position

Originally posted by ChrisK
If I'm not mistaken the $6 dollar Chevron Techron bottle only covers up to 12 gallons of gas. For our cars you would need to get the big bottle, that costs $9.99, that covers up to 20 gallons. Unfortunately, they are not as easy to find.
You are right. The way I do it is at 1/4 tank on the fuel gauge I put in the Techron and then put in 6 gallons of fuel. This is about a 10 to 11 gallon payload which is right in step with the prescribed treatment.

One thing I do notice, is sometimes when starting up the car, a hazy white fume plume will emit from the exhaust and hang in the still air when running the Techron. You run into that too? This happens only one or two times. I think that is some sort of impurities burning off that the Techron has loosend up.
Old 02-06-02, 12:46 PM
ChrisK
Lead Lap

Because of winter, and cold weather in Chicago, everytime I start the cold car I have the white fumes coming out of the exhaust. So it is hard to tell if it gets worse with Techron.
Old 02-06-02, 12:50 PM
Red93sc400
Pole Position

Chris:
Are the white fumes the normal cold weather steam condensation effect that most cars have until they warm up? Mine does that until the engine comes up to temp. Pretty much every car does the steam thing around here when the air temps are below freezing.

I am talking rather of a true white smoke that does not dissipate, but rather hangs in the garage..
Old 02-06-02, 12:53 PM
ChrisK
Lead Lap

Are the white fumes the normal cold weather steam condensation effect that most cars have until they warm up?
I believe so.

I am talking rather of a true white smoke that does not dissipate, but rather hangs in the garage..
I never noticed it.
Old 02-06-02, 01:07 PM
Lex Luthor
Lexus Champion

Boy, you guys have it rough. We have up to and including 94 octane here (Sunoco), there's also a small gas station that carries CAM2 not far from here, they have a few varieties, but the 100 octane unleaded is what I used to go there for, everything higher is leaded and is therefore not too bueno for the O2 sensors, as i'm sure you know. Also real close to me is McArthur Airport, there's a guy there we know that sells us 116octane airplane fuel, you have to put it in containers, can't pull your car right up to pump, hehe. I used to us it on my tune port motor (11.25:1 compression on the street) and spike the tank with a gallon or two of it when I went to the track. Man, that 116octane Petrol is great stuff, it's Purple, and it smells sooo sweet when you burn it, my tailpipe used to smell just like cotton candy, that's how we knew if a guy wanted to set up a run with us and was running serious compression, sniff that tailpipe. In the SC I run 93octane, any of the name brands, and I use a 20oz. Techron with 1/4 to 1/2 tank of gas every couple thousand miles. By the way Art, ask your Lexus service manager the real reason they say to use the Techron regularly. It's because they don't change fuel filters, too many problems with stripped fittings, they just order case after case of Techron. I gave the local Lexus dealer the fifth degree on this (they are supposed to be one of the best, but i've discovered they know far less about these cars than some of us do, they weren't even using Dex-Cool on services until recently, they've never seen a 1UZ-FE apart, nor do they even know what it looks like in there, I found myself teaching them, literally the whole service/parts dept was listening to me as I described the reciprocating assembly, I couldn't believe I had to school these guys) I asked them if they get a car in w/ 150K miles w/ the original fuel filter, they won't change it??? I couldn't believe his candor when he said 'no.'

Quick Reply: Octane Rating