SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Don't post a reply if you don't have a clue

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-02, 01:36 PM
Lex Luthor
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Don't post a reply if you don't have a clue

Guys, i'm not trying to start anything, as a matter of fact i'm trying to watch out for some guys new to CL who come here asking for advice and take the answers they get as gospel. I spend a lot of time on here trying to help anyone who needs it, but I notice that there are a few repeat offenders (I won't mention their names unless I have to, to give the newbies a warning) that will answer a question with completely inaccurate information. I just saw someone respond to a question about a pinging problem by telling him to go dyno the car. You want to have him subject his pinging engine to repeated runs to redline for what purpose? The horsepower, torque, and rpm graphs will tell you nothing to solve this problem in comparison to the more than likely scenario of putting a hole in one of the pistons, you couldn't tell him to check his timing? Sooner or later, this poor advice is going to cause someone to blow his motor. Please, if you don't know, don't answer, leave it to the guys that know what they're doing, we just want to help those that need it. Can I get an amen?
Old 02-06-02, 02:10 PM
SSmith
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Amen, bro. I bite my tongue everytime I visit during the day.
Lex is right, if you don't have ACURATE info, please don't post.
We have enough problems with these car : power steering, alternator, displays, .... for people to make things worse. Bottom line, if you don't know the correct answer, don't post. I may be new and probably will get bashed for this, but if this keeps one person from posting a wrong answer, then so be it. Way to go Lex, took some nuts to post that.

Shane
Old 02-06-02, 02:37 PM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'll drink to that...

I haven't really seen information getting passed around thats both dangerous AND crazy ignorant at the same time.

Usually one or the other
Old 02-06-02, 02:44 PM
trebien
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I whole-heartedly agree.

Unfortunately, this seems to be quite common on boards in general. I understand it is nice to feel important and to give advice, but remember that there is some poor chap at the other end, reading the info and who might just take your advice.

This is a fairly civilized board, so I have not seen much "calling out" of people that screw up like that and end up getting flamed into next week, like on other boards I have seen.

Remember, you get what you pay for, and all the advice on message boards is FREE.
Old 02-07-02, 04:30 AM
Keith13b
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Out of good moral support, I must agree as well. I too, have seen some flakey info passed. Plus, I don't know if anyone else has noticed, but the sheer # of posts is huge. I post a reply, and 8 hours later, its on the 2nd page. Just to find that poeple are posting brain dead one liners which are drifting so far away from the original post.

Anyway. Lets always help each other out, but only give your unsure 2 cents if no one else is replying. I know how frustrating it can be when no one answers your question, but give those who do know, the time to respond first.

Peace,
Keith
Old 02-07-02, 05:49 AM
anthracitetarga
Lexus Champion

I agree (eventhough i haven't seen any dangerous, etc. posts that would cause more trouble to someone elses car), but being a moderator, i will try to keep a lookout for unnecessary posts, etc. and try to keep their # down.

Derek
Old 02-07-02, 06:28 AM
hoops_24
Pole Position

I agree in principle, but if someone posts something, more than likely they believe what they are saying is correct. Maybe they are simply wrong or misinterpreted what was asked. I have seen some posts where the responder clearly misunderstood what the thread starter was asking for.

If people are deliberately giving wrong info, then that is just ignorance and it should be called out.

Peace
Old 02-07-02, 07:56 AM
933005spd
Lead Lap

Default I concur...

Yes, I agree, if a post reply is incorrect then we should, although tactfully, post our version or disagreement.

We are all a product of our environment and some people learn very different approaches to the same problems. Of course some times we are just idiots (including me).

SC-YA
Old 02-07-02, 04:34 PM
CmputerWiz
Lexus Test Driver

I don't have a clue. All I know is that I haven't pulled the pin on my "grenade" engine yet...it's still going.

heh

SR
Old 02-08-02, 12:27 AM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

what?
Old 02-08-02, 05:54 AM
'S'Low Rider
Driver

Post Forums!!!!!!

I like the Club Lexus forums

I like that owners can be part of a great club and be involved by simply posting......

It creates a lively and interesting place to come to......

I dont like or understand everything I read here but my opinion wont be the same as everyones......

Incorrect postings can be helpful and educational by showing members what not to do......

There are some members whose posts are awesome in solving problems and teaching others about their cars. I look forward to their posts all the time.....

The 'gurus' on this part of Club Lexus might like to think about putting together a FAQ document with the correct solutions.....

But I'd hate to see members posts removed (unless they were offensive), the member might not be helpful now but if they leave because they cant post they never get the chance to be helpful...

The 'learning' process is different for everyone, I learnt a lot of things by posting what I thought was the correct solution but then being corrected by others who knew more.....their patience allowed me to become helpful to others.....

Just my humble opinion........
Old 02-08-02, 10:17 AM
1BomexLex
Lead Lap

i agree too...
i know plenty of people that think that just cause soemone said it its going to make that big of a deal
if someone says it will work.....there is no way to guarantee that it will work for you.

everyones engine is different so differnet things have different effects.....

if you want to give your opinion.....just be like......yea ... i think that you should do this....but ask around to make sure its the best thing i should do

get advice from a shop first before you go out and blow your wonderful car to pieces
Old 07-12-04, 05:06 PM
aromack
Driver School Candidate

Default Still no answer though

I totally agree about the bad advice and all, but I still have see noone with an answer to the pinging question. I am talking engine ping under a load like going up a steep hill or hard acceleration. Not the cooling down ticking noise you hear after shutting down the car.
Anyone that knows how to solve the enginge pinging please let me know...

thank you.
Old 07-12-04, 05:53 PM
southernsc
Lexus Champion

this post is 2 years old
ps. and i cannot contribute any usuful info to this thread. sorry

Last edited by southernsc; 07-12-04 at 05:53 PM.
Old 07-13-04, 12:45 AM
TGRich
Lexus Champion

Wow- old school here.

And just for the record, I am 100% willing to help people out for the stuff I know. If I don't know the answer, I'll tell you, "I don't know". So if I can help in anyway for anyone, let me know- the door's open

Quick Reply: Don't post a reply if you don't have a clue