SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

gas prices and you.... what are you doing about it?

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-08 | 07:13 PM
UpInTheLex
Instructor

BTW Gas is 4.99 a gallon here for 91 octane.

It costs me ~$90 to fill my tank.

And we're not talking about just Iraq and Iran. The end of the pipeline is in Iran. We're talking Caspian Sea and Kazakhstan. Kazakhstan and Usbeckistan are where the REAL oil reserves are located. 110 billion barrels.

Last edited by UpInTheLex; 07-08-08 at 07:54 PM.
Old 07-08-08 | 08:00 PM
jefferino
Lead Lap

Kazakhstan! Get Borat to go bring it to us

Gas is high so what...it is what happens with time as things become more expensive. I mean shoot I am sure that our grandparents never thought they would pay $1.25 for a bottle of Coke when they used to pay $0.05. That is a huge jump! It is just that it happened here a lot faster so we noticed it. It sucks, I wish it was still like $1.00 when I was in college in 1999 but hey, it happens and I love cars and love driving and I won't complain. If you are upset and want to do something just go build a crazy civic like the guys on ecomodders.com who get over 70mpg.
Old 07-08-08 | 08:28 PM
hapaboy
Lexus Champion

i yield at red lights after 10pm.
Old 07-08-08 | 08:56 PM
UpInTheLex
Instructor

Originally Posted by jefferino
I mean shoot I am sure that our grandparents never thought they would pay $1.25 for a bottle of Coke when they used to pay $0.05.

But Seriously though you're talking a 40 year or more time span on the grandma tip.
In this case we're talking in 8 years gas going from $0.99/gal to $4.99/gal.
That's like a 500% increase.

Why can't Borat reduce our gas prices... Trade relations? Something... Borat 2012?

Last edited by UpInTheLex; 10-17-21 at 06:00 AM.
Old 07-08-08 | 09:30 PM
SCoupe
Lexus Test Driver
CL Folding 25,000

Default For the record, about Exxon

A barrel of crude contains 42 gallons and at say ~$130, the raw material costs about $3.10 a gallon. For finding the oil, getting it out of the ground, transporting it to a refinery, turning it into gasoline in about 20 differnent special cocktails for various state requirements, and distributing that gasoline, ExxonMobil cleared about 58 cents per gallon in 2007. Of that 58 cents, it paid 43% in taxes (~25 cents per gallon to the US Government). The federal government also collected 18.4 cents of excise tax per gallon.

A state like California collects ~20-32 cents of sales tax (at $4g).

So Exxon/Mobil nets itself 33 cents per gallon while the freakin federal and state government take 87 cents per gallon.

Were is the rage about the government? I'm, satisfied with Exxon/Mobil's effort. They are an American company, owned largely by American shareholders, employing tens of thousands of white and blue collar workers at high wages. We need more companies like this.

What does the government do to contribute to our energy needs? Nothing, it gets in the way. The liberal media and educational system repeats the mantra that its all the greedy oil company's fault. What crap. The government outlaws drilling in oil rich continental shelf off California, Florida, AWNR, North Dakota, forbids oil shale refining. It then conducts congressional investigations into why the price of oil went up.

The government mandates burning food instead of gasoline. The liberal Time magazine reports "...the grain it takes to fill an SUV with ethanol could feed a person for a year. Using land to grow fuel leads to the destruction of forests, wetlands, and grasslands that store enormous amounts of carbon" The government screws up everything it does due to the laws of unintended consequences. And the same people that brought you this want to run your health care.

You should be worried, the planet is fine, its the people that are in trouble.

Last edited by SCoupe; 07-08-08 at 09:35 PM.
Old 07-08-08 | 09:46 PM
persian400
Driver School Candidate

Back to the issue of Gas, Im going to be putting mine on LPG (liquid petroleum Gas), My LX470 was on LPG and no issues at all, works out really cheap, and no Power loss at all (they have new direct injection system, amazing compared to old system) And the Australian government subsidises the install, paying $4000, which means I only need to pay $500 for the conversion. It means the value of my car goes up if i need to sell it, and I still have the Use of Petrol!
Old 07-08-08 | 09:47 PM
SC400DAVE
Lexus Test Driver

Default All Wrong

The entire problem is the devaluation of the USD. If it (USD) was still tied to something of intristic value, say gold and silver as constitutionally mandated we wouldn't be having this conversation. Educate yourselves on what is really wrong and maybe if enough people realized it, we could fix things. As it is most Americans literally have their heads in the sand.
Old 07-08-08 | 09:49 PM
persian400
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by SC400DAVE
The entire problem is the devaluation of the USD. If it (USD) was still tied to something of intristic value, say gold and silver as constitutionally mandated we wouldn't be having this conversation. Educate yourselves on what is really wrong and maybe if enough people realized it, we could fix things. As it is most Americans literally have their heads in the sand.
Not just Americans, but also Australians and many other nations. But I guess its the the governments advantage if people wernt educated on these issues!
Old 07-08-08 | 09:54 PM
LexFather

Okay guys lets keep out the personal comments, broad comments and offensive comments to a person's nation.
Old 07-08-08 | 10:59 PM
Jewcano
No Sir, I Don't Like It
CL Folding 1M

Originally Posted by jefferino
Kazakhstan! Get Borat to go bring it to us

Gas is high so what...it is what happens with time as things become more expensive. I mean shoot I am sure that our grandparents never thought they would pay $1.25 for a bottle of Coke when they used to pay $0.05. That is a huge jump! It is just that it happened here a lot faster so we noticed it. It sucks, I wish it was still like $1.00 when I was in college in 1999 but hey, it happens and I love cars and love driving and I won't complain. If you are upset and want to do something just go build a crazy civic like the guys on ecomodders.com who get over 70mpg.
You're forgetting one major thing. Paychecks aren't getting bigger. People are facing pay cuts and some even let go from companies. Prices can go up for all I care, just as long as my pay follows suit in the proper ratio. But since thats not happening, this is why so many folks are complaining.

As for what I'm doing about gas prices. What can I do? I limit my driving as much as I can and don't do toooo much extra driving around.
Old 07-08-08 | 11:18 PM
SCoupe
Lexus Test Driver
CL Folding 25,000

Originally Posted by SC400DAVE
The entire problem is the devaluation of the USD.
I agree there is a corrolation, but it is not the entire freakin problem.

Had the greenback held its January 2001 high against the euro, oil would have traded at about $76 a barrel in May 2008. Accordingly, the decline of the dollar’s value accounted for ~50% of the $97 a barrel increase in the price of oil from May 2003-2008.

The big problem is the government of the world's largest consumer of oil allows no meaningful production, forcing consumers to buy from enemies who use the money to try to kill us and end western civilization as we know it.

Originally Posted by UpInTheLex
BTW...It costs me ~$90 to fill my tank
What's to stop the cost from hitting $200 to fill up the tank of our Lexus? That day is coming unless we do something now and we are not going to "conserve" or "alternative energy" our way out of it.

Allah Akhbar

fwiw: Oil went up in all the major currencies:
Attached Thumbnails gas prices and you.... what are you doing about it?-oilp_oc.gif  

Last edited by SCoupe; 07-08-08 at 11:40 PM.
Old 07-08-08 | 11:55 PM
1985zcar
Lead Lap

I had a 240SX and got my SC...it's not that big of a difference...

My 240SX got 300-330mpt and it was around 60 to fill up

The Lexus gets about the same mpt, but it's like 75 to fill up...

*shrug* Yeah it's a difference, but not big enough for me to complain about. The added power/sound of the 2J is nice...once the 1J is in, I think I'll get better gas mileage as well...so long as I keep it out of boost
Old 07-09-08 | 03:26 AM
sc3lovely
Driver

Best one so far rofl-

Originally Posted by Brendon
I average about 22 MPG on the weekends, and

one hundred billion MPG on the weekdays!

Anyways, in response to what I've started doing in response to gas prices; I've expanded my biking instead of driving. Last weekend I biked out to framingham (25 miles) non-stop to visit my mom and friends, rather than drive. Driving to my hometown and back to college costs roughly $8 in gas and $2.50 in tolls each time. I was so winded when I got there though and I'm disappointed by it. Back in high school, I used to be able to bike 50 miles non-stop and barely break a sweat. Those were the days before I had a car. I guess I'm getting old and weak, but there is a solution:
http://www.cyclone-usa.com/store.php?crn=199

There are kits out there that can convert your bicycles to electric power, and they haul a**. This 500 watt kit from cyclone that I'm looking at can go up to 31 mph on motor power alone. It does cost $400 plus you got to buy a battery; however, with gas prices what they are today, this investment could easily pay itself off. It looks fun too!
Old 07-09-08 | 09:29 AM
UpInTheLex
Instructor

I found this article online...

"Here is something to think about. I recently read about a
guy named Lindsey Williams who wrote a book called 'The
Energy Non-Crisis' in which he talks about how the current
gasoline and oil prices are artificially created by an
international conspiracy designed to keep the United States
buying oil from certain middle-eastern countries,
particularly Saudi Arabia.

He claims that the largest oil field in the world was dis-
covered about twenty years ago just off the northern coast
of Alaska. Enough oil, potentially, to supply all of North
America's energy needs for the next two hundred years.

This discovery was hushed up by the federal government,
according to Williams, in order to keep us buying our oil
from the middle-east. But why?

The theory is that forty years ago Henry Kissinger, acting
as Secretary of State for the United States, worked out
deals with certain oil-producing countries, to buy as much
oil as they could produce and make then wildly rich provided
that they 1) conduct all oil transactions in U.S. dollars,
practically guaranteeing that the dollar will be the accepted
international currency, and 2) that these countries will
spend a portion of the money WE send them to buy U.S. debt.

Of course, in the last forty years the U.S national debt has
gone from $390 billion in 1970 to a ridiculous nine and a
half trillion dollars today.

What does that mean to you and me? It means that if Williams
is right, and the U.S. started producing the majority of its
energy at home, the middle-east would stop financing our
debt (with our own money) causing a collapse of the dollar
and a recession that would make the 1930s look like a tea
party.

But is it true?

Interestingly enough...the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge
(ANWR), where all of this oil supposedly is, first became
a federal protected area in 1960, and in 1980 an expansion
of the refuge included 1.5 million acres of the coastal plain
where Williams claims the discovery was made, requiring
congressional authorization before oil drilling may proceed.

It makes you think about who is really responsible for $4.25 gas."

I'm not an economist...Does this article have any validity?
Old 07-09-08 | 12:05 PM
SCoupe
Lexus Test Driver
CL Folding 25,000

Originally Posted by UpInTheLex
Does this article have any validity?
Maybe if you believe in the Easter Bunny.

Type the following into Google: "Debunk Lindsey Williams". This is particularily good point by point: http://skepchick.org/skepticsguide/i...?topic=11308.0

I'm sure the ex-Baptist preacher has made some serious coin selling his book to a gullible public who wants to believe in conspiracy theories.

Quick Reply: gas prices and you.... what are you doing about it?