SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

gas prices and you.... what are you doing about it?

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-08, 06:56 PM
sleeperSC
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

installing a 1jz with t61.... im in college so i dont drive much.
Old 05-01-08, 07:17 PM
Blkexcoupe
Lead Lap

Received 551 Likes on 370 Posts

The gas prices aren't that bad compared to the amount I've spent to maintain my SC. I don't drive my sc that much compared to my old daily driver since it only gets about 16-17mpg. I don't know what else to change to make it better.
Old 05-01-08, 08:23 PM
1JZsoarer
Driver

you guys should not complain about gas prices yet lol over here in canada its getting ridiculous, they are using all sorts of reasons for the cause of the regular increase of gas prices. In exemple, only 5 years ago, gas was at 0,85$/L and it was considered expensive (about 3,825$/gal for regular not premium) and now its up to 1,31$/L or about 5.895$/gal. And what we learn? Petro Canada (one of the major gas supplier in Canada) just released their datas for the first trimester, a net profit of 1,86 billions$
Old 05-01-08, 09:22 PM
Curry
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

To save some gas I stopped driving with my foot to the floor and stopped using the car to go here and there. I use public trans sometimes depending on how far and where im going.
Old 05-01-08, 09:55 PM
hateshino
Driver School Candidate

dont flame me, but i was thinking..

would it be good if the country overall jacks up gas prices to say, 7$/gal so that we would be forced to find alternatives and up efficiency?

i guess ill use Gainesville and explain how i see it in my head... sorry if it sounds dumb

up gas prices to 7-8$ a gallon
improve public trans and intercity trans?
run public trans on diesel AND grease form local sources to use already present resources?
force people to find alternative/more efficient ways to transport?

is this feasible?

i imagine there will be prob a lot of pissed off people, but it'll force the reality on them and maybe provide a segway to change our wasteful habits?
Old 05-01-08, 10:02 PM
TTSC3
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 97RSPSCTT
Guys I don't know how this is possible but my GTE gets about 28 mpg, if I'm light on the gas. Anyone else have a 2jz-gte that gets really good mpg?
How the hell have you pulled that off? I've gone into my AEM and made adjustments to my map, and I still get like 15mpg if I'm REALLY nice to it. If I get on it and have some fun, I can almost watch the needle move, lol. I'm getting shafted!
Old 05-01-08, 10:06 PM
SCoupe
Lexus Test Driver

Rant on...

The gas prices are a self generated problem in that we are the biggest dumb asses on the planet in helping cause the price. We actually are growing food crops as a sustitute for gasoline instead of drilling our own.

A year or so after we started burning corn in our cars we now have skyrocketing food prices and shortages, no ****, who'd ever think such a thing could happen !

In the mean time and perhaps even dumber is the fact that we sitting on top of billions of barrel of freakin oil off our coasts, on our lands and especially in ANWR. Freakin communist China is drilling horizontal wells off the coast of Florida using Cuba as home base. In California oil blobs are washed onto our shores not because of ship wrecks but because of natural seepage of the wealth off our coasts.

And the much of the population led by media has been brain washed into believing anthropogenic global warming and the co2 hoax as well.

So just who the hell are you planning to vote for? None of them plan new oil drilling or refineries. Rant out....
Old 05-01-08, 10:36 PM
BLK13X
Mortgage Slave

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by hateshino
dont flame me, but i was thinking..

would it be good if the country overall jacks up gas prices to say, 7$/gal so that we would be forced to find alternatives and up efficiency?

i guess ill use Gainesville and explain how i see it in my head... sorry if it sounds dumb

up gas prices to 7-8$ a gallon
improve public trans and intercity trans?
run public trans on diesel AND grease form local sources to use already present resources?
force people to find alternative/more efficient ways to transport?

is this feasible?

i imagine there will be prob a lot of pissed off people, but it'll force the reality on them and maybe provide a segway to change our wasteful habits?
I'm not going to flame, but what I can see (by doing as described above) will NOT confirm that public transport services will be improved. Lose-lose situation.

They talk alot about improving the public transport here in Sydney but nothing has been done to rectify the situation. Example, a major (what used to be) 2 or 3 lane road here has been narrowed to a 1 lane road (which virtually connects the suburbs to the city).

Has the public transport been improved? Hell no... causing more people to drive because of their inconsistencies and causing even more traffic build up.

So in my eyes it's a lose-lose situation except for the oil companies and government who feed off the taxes raised via. petrol.
Old 05-02-08, 12:29 AM
LexBurry
Driver School Candidate

i agree with 5sp jzz30 if ur driving a sc dont be sad be glad lol any sc breaks necks (noticeable) where ever u go my car is currently parked up and everytime i look at the gas station i was like %$#@ thank god my car is parked up but it will be comming back out in a couple of dayz and that suxxz
if u drive a sc its a privledge not and option
Old 05-02-08, 06:33 AM
Gvr4
Driver

I put a big turbo on my Galant and converted to E-85. The bigger turbo keeps me out of boost. The E-85 is only setting me back about 2.49 a gallon.
Old 05-02-08, 08:14 AM
tcrow31
Pole Position

Rising food cost is only a temporary side effect of using renewable source to create a cleaner burning fuel. Like I stated before that once they perfect the process to use byproducts like and not limited to corn husks and prairie grass food shortages will not be a issue and currently not a out of control issue to begin with in our country. Food prices not out of hand either nor unreasonable, I have yet to say I am not gonna eat today cause I cant afford it. I have however said I am not gonna drive somewhere cause of gas prices. Scientist have already stated that they are only 2yrs from perfecting the process.

Using E85 as a fuel source is very do able. Brazil has been doing it for 30yrs and announced in 2007 that they are totally independent from foreign oil. Brazil has no food shortage or high food prices. They do use their abundance of sugar cain to produce their E85. Using corn in the US is not a practical way to produce E85 i will admit. Once the new process is perfected we will see a dramatic drop in the cost at the pump for E85.

I also suppose that photos over the past 20yrs of the polar ice caps and other ice covered regions disappearing is not enough to convince some that our climate is warming. Eh....everyone is entitled to their own opinions and ideas so whatever...lol

Last edited by tcrow31; 05-02-08 at 08:40 AM.
Old 05-02-08, 11:03 AM
Brendon
Pole Position

Brazil made ethanol work because:

1) They use sugarcane which when converted yields much more energy than corn, what we use. Sugarcane is harder to grow in the US, with the exception of a few regions.
2) Brazil has a much lower population and more importantly population density, about 50 per sq mile vs over 80 per sq mile in the US. That means they can afford to set aside more land towards ethanol production.
3) Brazilians drive much less than Americans. I can't find exact numbers, but I'm guessing its a fraction of the American average, 15,000 miles per year. Also, fewer Brazilians drive or own cars compared to Americans.

The truth is that America shouldn't even need to import oil. We actually produce more oil per year than Saudi Arabia, and any other country in the world. The problem is that we consume so much more than we should be. If the average American halved their consumed of oil driving, our country would practically not even need to import. I would encourage everyone else out there to do the same. It's not hard and they are ways to do it. If you halved your consumption/driving, even on a car that gets 20 MPG, you would be consuming the equivalent to that of a Prius driver, plus you wont have to look so nerdy in the process

Last edited by Brendon; 05-02-08 at 11:08 AM.
Old 05-02-08, 12:32 PM
tcrow31
Pole Position

"Startup Says It Can Make Ethanol for $1 a Gallon, and Without Corn"

http://www.wired.com/cars/energy/news/2008/01/ethanol23

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cellulosic_ethanol

Since its thought that it is not possible to produce enough E85 to sustain the countries needs or could cause adverse effects on food cost and or shortages. Keeping in mind that I am not saying that E85 is "THE" solution but a step in the right direction.

Last edited by tcrow31; 05-02-08 at 12:40 PM.
Old 05-02-08, 01:51 PM
socal300
Driver

Red face !!!!

It took $70.00 dollars to fill up my 95 sc300 5spd.! but i really cant complain its a lexus.
Old 05-02-08, 03:13 PM
tcrow31
Pole Position

Originally Posted by nobleblack
I know I'll get flamed for this but the reason why we don't have that many other options here is because the oil company won't let them in because they will lose money.
It has always been cheaper to produce gasoline than any other alternative fuels in the US. The rest of the world was already paying 3 times as much for gasoline than we were. Also the lack in battery technology never allowed the electric car to take off. Now however it is the opposite. Price to produce gasoline has gone up due the the price per barrel of crude hitting triple digits. Also battery technology has progressed to the point where the electric car is now practicle. Also I am positive that government and big oil company had big influences on holding back other alternatives.

Quick Reply: gas prices and you.... what are you doing about it?