SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

purchasing a sc3/4

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-02 | 05:17 PM
mbaha
Driver School Candidate

Default purchasing a sc3/4

hello everyone.

I'm looking to buy an SC3 or 4, and i've never owned one before. I want to get some opinions from you experts, i've already looked at too many specs. Any answers would be appreciated. I plan on buying a '92-'95 sc3 or 4 and plan to keep all the stock components.

1) Is there a great difference in power between the 225hp and 250hp sc's(auto)? I noticed on paper there isn't much difference in gas consumption, and i wonder how much performance is at stake.

2) What year (92-95) would you recommend & why. Besides the obvious, that newer is better.

Anything else you'd like to add, like things to look out for with certain models/years.

thanks.
Old 02-07-02 | 05:29 PM
anthracitetarga
Lexus Champion

If u want performance, go w/ a 92 SC300 5spd. This is faster than bothe the SC3 auto and SC4. (when all r stock). It is also the easiest to upgrade when u want real h.p (Supra engine swap, etc.). IMO, both cars are indestructable. The sc3's have the 2JZ-GE engine in them (which is also found in the 93-98 Supra NA) and have been know to last beyond 300,000 miles. I have 110,xxx miles on mine and it still drives like it was new. The only diff. b/t 92 and 93-95 is lil stuff like pass. airbag, DRLs, and i think taillights in 95., etc.) I personally would get a 1992 SC300 5spd. and enjoy it. No matter which SC u buy, u WILL NOT be disappointed and welcome to CL.

The only things to look out for is to check the power steering pump as this has been know to leak and after a while it will ruin ur alternator. Also, a few people have had trouble w/ their dash lighting (in the needles) going out, but i have not experienced that yet.
Old 02-07-02 | 05:52 PM
skininja
Rookie

IMHO, the 400 has a greater panche factor. People say when they see it, "wow, it's not just a 300 .... it's a 400!" It has the performance to back it up ... 6.8 0-60 .... I swear the manual has a 7.3 time. A Motortrend review of the 93 SC300 Auto has a 7.8 time.

Don't forget the SC 400 won the 1992 Motortrend Import car of the year. They couldn't say enough about how it destroyed every other car out there at the time, in terms of styling, performance, interior design, etc.

A January 1992 Motortrend Review of the 300 (Comparing it to the 400):

"The SC 300 has enough thrust to feel completely at ease on the road or in the city .... off-the-line perfomance is nearly equal to that of the V-8; the 300 only takes about one third of a second longer to reach 30mph .... In all, I like the SC 300 about 14 percent less than the SC 400. Funny, that's about how much less it costs."

Either model, you get a car that is a classic - it looks as new and classy today as it did in 92.
Old 02-08-02 | 08:28 AM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic
CL Folding 1M

Don't listen to him

I've raced two SC400s myself and busted *** on them. I'm a 5-speed.

For cheap mods like under $3000, the SC400 can be made faster; There are several on this board running around making 235rwhp without nitrous; and a bottle on top wouldn't hurt either as both engines are VERY strong.

For big HP numbers though, the SC300 is cheaper and faster. A Stage 1.5 Toyomoto kit will cost you around $6000 and you can make about 450rwhp on pump gas, and over 550rwhp on race gas. Or around $4000 if you source everything yourself. Labor for the install costs money too unless you also want to install it yourself.

But either way, both are great cars. Don't just buy these cars for the image. I personally don't give a flyin **** if some materialistic nobody downs my car because its not a 400; or because its not a BRAND NEW one either. Buy this car for you not anyone else.
Old 02-08-02 | 09:05 AM
Red93sc400
Pole Position

I will try to answer your questions and in so doing keep AWAY from the My SC is faster than your SC is line of conversation which I find only mildly informative and frankly boring....

The car is easy to insure. You can now buy the early editions (1992 -1994) for about 10K which is 1/4 of their original selling price "back then".

The cars seem to not rust and the paint jobs are done very well. They are clearcoated with the exception of the black (i hear).

The interior is very nice. It is a chore to get into the back seats for large sized males but once there, they are comfortable.

Starting in 1993, the ergonomic options were enhanced slightly over the 1992 edition. You will not be wanting for much in the area of do-dads and gee-haws I assure you. You have keyless entry, two driver memory settings, cruise, auto temp control, traction control, transmission shift control, overdrive, heated seats, phone system (analog it sucks), power memory steering wheel, power passenger seats, electronic dimming rear view mirror, good sound system for the day. All in all the stuff that low end cars do not have today.

The 400 gets an honest 20 - 27 MPG depending on how you drive it. Dunno the figures for the 300.

The 400 engine is solid and smooth. Transmission is like butter in smoothness of shifting. Steering is nice and firm. Ride is firm and with aftermarket shock and springs can become firmer to the point of annoyance if you choose.

The downside of the car is that of aftermarket parts support. There is not too much support for the typical crap that bolts on, in or under the car. To some this is a blessing. To those under 25 years of age, trying to make the car a unique personal statement, well..., it can be a dissapointment.

The car, 400 here, is not a dragster or a jymkana sportscar or a race car. In its day it got no support in those venues. It is a luxury coupe'. It likes the highway. It is heavy and sometimes feels it. It is not nimble. It sways due to the weight. To stop the sway your normal drive is a ride that is very harsh, it can be done however.

The weight to horsepower ratio precludes it from becoming a 1/4 car. The car has more ECUs and cable in it than the Space Shuttle does. Folks here add perhaps 10 to 40 HP in bolt on or even plug in aftermarket do-dads like air filters that do not filter well, spark plugs, enhanced ECU chips etc. The results tend to cost $10 per HP gain or more. There is an aftermarket tourqe converter that allows you to destroy tires upon demand. (This add on was developed by the tire industry )

Oddly, once all these HP improvements are made the owners then add 100 to 200 pounds of speakers, ampliphiers, LCD displays, gameboys or PS2's, body kits, you name it, and even fuzzy dice (ok just kidding about the fuzzy dice). So the result is the weight to HP ratio goes back to stock. He he.

Driving the 400 in Second gear only on city streets is a blast. Trust me.

This all said, (my opinons only) I can tell you that I truely love the car for what it is. A well manered powerful luxury sports coupe that can be a great daily driver. I would not part with mine.

You can find real nice examples that were treated with care and loving and well maintained with records that were used by the original owners as weekend wheels. The original owners of these cars had money and maintained them well. That is what to look for.
Old 02-08-02 | 09:55 AM
Lex Luthor
Lexus Champion

You guys are funny, didn't he say he wanted to keep all the stock components? If that's the case, it's just a comparison of the cost between the two, the mileage, performance, prestige, and insurance cost. Other than that, it's basically the same on both cars. No need to sell him on the beauty of the SC, he already decided to buy one, he just wants to know the pros/cons of SC3 vs SC4 stock for stock. If that's the case, I think the couple grand extra you may pay for an SC4 is worth it if you're going to leave it stock, and the road tests of the day do show a bit of an advantage in performance for the SC4 as compared to an SC3 stick, (SC3 auto will get wasted) though if Bean is nice with a stick he could definitely beat a stock SC4. Now if this was about which has more potential, the choice would clearly be an SC3, hands down. Oh, and we'll get to run one day Bean, lookin' forward to it bro.
Old 02-08-02 | 10:10 AM
Lex Luthor
Lexus Champion

Oh, just had to throw this in, our cars are great, what better deal is there than the SC? The SC4 was $9000 more than the SC3 new, but the difference between the two now is a couple grand. The gentleman that ordered my SC4 had it equipped with every single factory and dealer option they could put on it, it stickered for $60 grand, and I picked it up for about a third of that, looking pretty damn close to the day it was delivered, never having had a part replaced on it except for a speaker. Considering that i've never had a single part fail, i'd say I got an incredible deal. I had considered purchasing a supercharged Black Ford Lighting before I decided on this, the price on that thing was only a couple grand less than the Lex, when I think that I almost bought a pickup for about the same money I thank my lucky stars. Just about every woman gives at least one look when you parlay in the Lex Coupe, unless you're a clown. I've had many people ask me how I can afford it, I answer how can I not? These cars just don't break, they don't even come with an underhood light! First time I popped the hood I thought mine was somehow missing, 'till I realized they're telling you that you won't need one. Bargain of a lifetime. Can't wait to pick up another for a little forced induction.
Old 02-08-02 | 11:52 AM
machinegt
Pole Position

just to let you know, i love my 1998 sc400.

and like Red93sc400 said, its very fun to drive it on 2nd gear,
the car's not nimble as true sports car, but it is still fun
to drive.

i was scared from reading stuff, that getting an SC would
displace me too much from the road, some accused it of having
a "disconnected road feel."

But, I can tell you exactly how it feels: it is plush and smooth, but you can definately _feel_ the road, my previous car was a honda accord, and that thing vibrated like a *****, but in my SC, you can actually feel the pattern of the road that you are on, if someone blind folded me and drove me through the regular streets that i drive on, i could name all of them because of the resolution of how the car gives you the "beat pattern" of the pavement on the road.

it does not disconnect you from the road.

the problem with my honda accord was that yah you could feel the road, but all roads felt bumpy, it provided no resolution into the pattern of the road. (i'm not saying the honda accord was supposed to give me a sport's car feedback, i'm just saying that thing vibrated like a *****)
Old 02-08-02 | 12:32 PM
SC300TURBO
Lexus Test Driver

if your gonna stay stock i say get the sc400....if you plan to mod it at all...get the 300...cause the bug will bite.........but stock for stock i reccommend the 400....but i love the people that think...its just a 300.....till im so far ahead of them they cant even remember what kind of car it was,,,lol,,Jeff
Old 02-09-02 | 08:07 PM
mbaha
Driver School Candidate

Default thanks guys

thankyou for the welcome, and the insight. I really didn't have a good specific question for you guys, but i definitely got all right responses. Having test driven a few sc's recently, I somehow feel like i've stumbled upon a huge secret that I must now hide from the common people. Man, some of these cars have done 100k and are flawless machines. I love how they are eye-catching, and rare. Again, thanks for all of the expert opinions. I'm leaning towards a 95-ish 400, but would definitely be content with a 300 if my first choice is not happening. And it is true, that mod-flexibility is not top priority for me. I will keep the thing stock, with the exception of wheels possibly. I'm just weary of things like insurance, city mpg, minor failures, part availabilty.

-matt
Old 02-10-02 | 06:44 AM
Red93sc400
Pole Position

Mbaha:
Well good luck and we all hope you find a nice SC. When you get it we all EXPECT you to be back here with the good news. BTW, one of the guys here who wrecked his over Xmas pickup one up at an auction. It took him a while but he has apparently found a nice one.

Also check in with the use car manager at you local Lexus dealerships. They can call you when a nice specimen comes in.
Old 02-11-02 | 01:01 PM
The Ikon
Lexus Champion

My SC3 is faster than your SC4 ...... ha ha ha ha... My Dad is stronger than your Dad! My girl looks better than yours!Who cares really? :eek: I wonder if BMW owners have this rivalry with the 540 vs 528? Or Benz CLK 430 vs CLK 320?

This is a NO BRAINER... get the SC4... Not everyone wants to chop up a perfectly great luxury car. Don't get me wrong a lil
more power is not a bad thing at all.

Both cars have enough power to make the average consumer happy. The SC3 has the exact look of it's big brother the SC4 at a lower price. The SC4 is faster than any SC3 stock just to clear the air. There is always a professional driver on every forum that can drive his/her car faster than 99% of the people with the same car or the driver's that test the car. If you want to up your year to the 98' SC4 it comes with the 290hp 5 spd auto tranny. Both the GS4 and SC4 share similar 1/4 times and the SC4. Ask MachineGT about the newer SC4 power ...

If you have the time there are many threads comparing the SC4 vs SC3. do a lil search.. It really depends on your flavor... Keep us posted, good luck...

This is a thread of what is really important in owning either coupe... maintenance :eek: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...&postid=204622

Last edited by The Ikon; 02-11-02 at 01:12 PM.
Old 02-16-02 | 01:06 AM
Nico
Driver School Candidate

Default SC400 Convertibles

get the convertible one's
Attached Thumbnails purchasing a sc3/4-convertable-sc-s.jpg