SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Experience with NOS, anyone???

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-02, 06:25 PM
Lexgendboi
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Experience with NOS, anyone???

Does anyone here have had experienced with Nos on your car? I am thinking of putting 100/150 shot in, but still worry about engine get screw up over time. Also, what system should i install? and does it required drilling of the intake manifold? any permanent mod to the car?? I hear NOS should be use when the car is in high RPM range. If so...what range is suitable?? Please tell me everything about nos from it's effect to the engine to installation and how to use it.....I am looking for a way to go fast.... Unfortunately there aren't any blower kit available for our car up to date....
Old 02-08-02, 05:56 AM
1stLexus
Rookie

Default Re: Experience with NOS, anyone???

Originally posted by Lexgendboi
Does anyone here have had experienced with Nos on your car? I am thinking of putting 100/150 shot in, but still worry about engine get screw up over time. Also, what system should i install? and does it required drilling of the intake manifold? any permanent mod to the car?? I hear NOS should be use when the car is in high RPM range. If so...what range is suitable?? Please tell me everything about nos from it's effect to the engine to installation and how to use it.....I am looking for a way to go fast.... Unfortunately there aren't any blower kit available for our car up to date....
Which system is up to you. If you stay at 100, a dry system would be easier to install (one less line to plumb), but you have to rely on the cars injectors to supply your additional fuel. Any big company should be fine, NOS, Nitrous Works, Nitrous Express, and I even like what I read on the Zex kit, but no experience with it.

All will require putting a nozzle in your intake track. Usually can be put on the back side of your rubber air intake hose before TB. Not hard to do.

You should not use nitrous at low rpm's, It puts too much stress on your engine. When you press the on button you are adding 100hp right then! No gradual build-up of power. I would probably wait until 3k to have it start. This can be accomblished with a window switch (available from msd among others) used to turn something on/off at a given rpm i.e.3k and on/off at another rpm i.e.6200. So when you use the throttle swicth gas is floored system is armed, but it will not activate until you are in your rpm window, then after you over rev it no more nitrous.

Nitrous like anyother power adder artificially increases the amount of oxygen in the combustion chamber. So with the increase in air you essentialy have a higher c.r. so detonation can rear its ugly head. If you keep the amount small you can probably get away with your stock car, but a upgraded fuel pump, or even a add a inline pump is almost required. Run a range or two colder plug (helps fight off detontation), and most importantly don't get greedy. You know a 100hp shot took 1.5 secs off my quarter time, so 200 should be worth 3 secs. etc.... Next thing you know you get detonation, blown something up and are kicking yourself for pushing the limit.

Try looking at the websites for NOS et. al.
Old 02-08-02, 08:32 AM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just get a wet kit and end it. Its not that hard to install; and its safer.

With a wet kit on the 400, I assume that a 125hp shot would be good; and a 150hp definitely possible.

Nos the company has a new direct port system available that is basically a sleeve that goes around your injector and mixes nitrous/fuel/fog in directly with the injector spray into the cylinder. Its about $700-$800; but offers the ease of a wet kit setup; and the high-shot/good-mix of a direct port setup. You could definitely run a 150 shot with that.

A wetshot shouldn't require any of that drilling; I believe it mounts near the throttle body. nitrous shouldn't be engaged under 2500rpms or when launching (unless you have a pure drag car with a drivetrain that can handle it; and enough safeguards to back it up)
You also want to stay away from redline; if you get fuel cut; then you'll have an extremely lean condition and you'll pop your motor. There are products that allow a type of window switch where you can engage the nitrous at a certain rpm; and where it will auto disengage at a certain rpm...

A lot of the information you seek can be found on the various nitrous websites. Do a search on yahoo or something for:
Nitrous Oxide Systems
Nitrous Express
ZEX nitrous
Eldlebrock Nitrous

etc

Last edited by Bean; 02-08-02 at 08:37 AM.
Old 02-08-02, 09:10 AM
mjames08
Pole Position

I was running a 75 shot of nitrous on my 2000 dodge neon. I had it setup with an MSD ignition and RPM window switch. There was one switch in the cockpit you flipped on to activate the system. All you had to do was floor it and concentrate on driving between the lines The nitrous kicked in a 3000rpm and turned off at 5800rpm. It was awesome, and I couldn't blow my engine by going below a safe RPM or hitting the rev limiter. Keep in mind if you are going to be running nitrous, GET A BOTTLE WARMER. It is insane how much of a difference it will make!! I would go with a Nitrous Express kit, if they make them in our application.. they have some awesome accessories, like the remote bottle opener. Imagine flipping one switch on your dash to open the bottle, one for the bottle warmer and one for activation.. Definately go with a wet kit, way less chance of hurting anything..
Old 02-08-02, 09:42 AM
Lex Luthor
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah, James, NX does make a kit for the Lexus V8. I've run juice in many cars, I used to fabricate my own hidden systems, have the lines and fittings made, everything. No one ever found one of my systems, not even AutoCrime, hehe. I agree w/ Bean, go straight to a wet system, the 1UZ will handle a 125shot no problem. For a 150shot, you'll want to upgrade the intank pump or add an inline booster pump. Chris 'Smooth8' is running an NOS Mustang kit, i'll get you the PN if you need it, it's dialed in to 150hp, and he uses the NOS inline pump. I'm here to tell you that he sprays at least once a day, and hasn't had any problems, and he's got some miles on his motor. The 1UZ and juice go together like Tuna Fish and Lamb (you prefer spagetti and meatball?), it's very very overbuilt in there. Talk to Todd Matsubura 'DoubleWhoosh' from TM Engineering, his SC4 was running a big hit (I mean upwards of 175hp, very upwards, we'll leave it at that, before I get someone in trouble). Bean, i'm anxious for someone to try NOS's new direct port system, I checked it out and it sounds great. Oh yeah, James, gotta have that warmer. How'd the Neon run on a 75shot? Ever take it to the track?
Old 02-08-02, 10:02 AM
1BomexLex
Lead Lap

i like to think of nos as taking a pill of Ecstacy.

wow...first time is really good... you really enjoy it
you want more........ and more....... you have to cut your self off

but even if it is called a "safe" pill........ it could still mess up ur engine up there.....

so nitrous is the same.....ur messing with chemicals can do whatever they want.... and nos will cause damage to the engine eventually even though you dont see the damage or hear the damage....
hey i want alotta nos but i know you cannot guarantee that it wont blow up your engine

its a fake way of getting more fun when you drive....
ecstacy is like getting more fun when you go to a party

eventually you will want more and more

im not saying dont get it ....just be really careful...but if you rebuild your engine for the nos...... then there are less things to worry abou t....

just my two sense
Old 02-08-02, 10:18 AM
Lex Luthor
Lexus Champion

Well, a small hit of juice will not damage your motor, if your timing, air, and fuel are all correct then I will completely assure you you'll be fine, i'll even help you set up the correct jetting if you're local. As far as putting X in your engine, hmmm, might actually slow you up a couple tenths, but I wouldn't know, since I don't put X in my body or car, but I have been known to inhale nitrous into both.
Old 02-08-02, 01:38 PM
mjames08
Pole Position

Originally posted by Lex Luthor
Oh yeah, James, gotta have that warmer. How'd the Neon run on a 75shot? Ever take it to the track?

The neon ran low 14s, with intake, exhaust, header, new pulleys, MSD digital ignition, and 75 shot of nitrous. It was an automatic too I think I am going to run some NOS on my SC400.. but I really want a supercharger... !!
Old 02-08-02, 02:50 PM
Lex Luthor
Lexus Champion

Low 14's with an automatic Neon? Excellent! 'Nuff respect James.
Old 02-09-02, 05:23 PM
mjames08
Pole Position

Low 14's with an automatic Neon? Excellent! 'Nuff respect James.
A friend of mine is in the 12s with a naturally aspirated 95 neon. 2.0 DOHC ..
Old 02-09-02, 06:00 PM
CmputerWiz
Lexus Test Driver

All this talk of nitrous. Why not engage it under 2500rpms? I use mine at all RPMs, and especially on the low end to build boost.

ZEX is an excellent kit for a dry kit. One main box has solenoids and all electronics, and it's mounted in the engine. They ship 55,65,75hp jets, but you can get jets for anything. I ran a 125 shot for a little while too.

Just my 2 cents.

Although, a wet kit would be the best and most preferable way to go!

SR
Old 02-09-02, 11:20 PM
mjames08
Pole Position

Originally posted by CmputerWiz
All this talk of nitrous. Why not engage it under 2500rpms? I use mine at all RPMs, and especially on the low end to build boost.

SR

I don't know the exacts on why you shouldn't run nitrous below 2500RPM, I just know it is a known cause for windowed pistons..
Old 02-10-02, 06:55 AM
CmputerWiz
Lexus Test Driver

It's prolly for a lot of the same reasons you shouldn't run 18psi boost with factory compression. Oh wait a minute...heh

SR
Old 02-10-02, 01:16 PM
Lex Luthor
Lexus Champion

Hehe, Steven, such a character. Can't believe you haven't pulled the pin on the 2JZ yet, talk about durable, as Ethan would put it, that's bad@ss. There are several reasons not to run boost below a certain rpm, 3000rpm is just the floor set by companies that don't want you suing them when your pistons seek daylight. Boy, me and Wiz could tell you lotsa stories on that one. Basically, depending on the compression of the motor 'on muscle' and the size of the hit, effective compression can go as high as 20:1 or more when you hit that button, literally, i've seen the tests. The basic fear is that the reciprocating assembly will not be moving fast enough to take the resulting increase in revolutions and pressure per stroke once you introduce a such an oxygen-dense mixture into the combustion process, and instantly at that. There are certain situations where this is a concern, but generally, if your rpm's are up high enough to launch, then they're up enough to spray. Don't take that as the gospel, it depends, don't want you popping your motor. Of course, you never want to hit that button when idling for instance, and I remember this one guy Steve who had a pretty quick notchback, he hit the button when the car was off, key forward, everything armed. He swore it wouldn't do anything, we knew better. We took a few steps back in the shop and giggled to ourselves as he fired it up and proceeded to blow his exhaust to pieces. Nitrous is actually great for spool-up, as Wiz mentioned he uses it for that purpose, and I used to use a single fogger plumbed into the intake tract on my GN, it was great for spooling the turbo, and my short times improved a good amount. My friend Trevis used to spray his Capri with a mondo 200shot right out of the hole, that car used to pull massive wheelstands (almost vertical) with a C4 and a baby 8" MT slick, on the street brother. James, 12's w/ a DOHC, naturally aspirated? That's just amazing to me, is that thing gutted or what?