SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Weird question...

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-02 | 06:22 PM
XTC
Driver

Default Weird question...

On my 95 sc400 i had the remote entry built right into the key. That was awesome. On this new 97 sc4000 i just got, its a plain old key and then a huge annoying remote transmitter. Its terrible. Can Lexus dealership make me the old version. Is it an "old version". Was it an "option". Whats the deal????

Jason XTC
Old 02-08-02 | 11:47 PM
Lex Luthor
Lexus Champion

XTC, Lexus made several changes to the keyless entry system over the life of the SC, i'm sure you'll want to upgrade to an aftermarket security system anyway, to properly protect your investment. The factory system is easy to defeat, i'd have legal culpability if I told you how right now, but lets just say that any skilled 'shopper' can do it, the rolling code system adopted in the last couple years is better, but you'd be best just popping in a Viper 550ESP w/ integrated remote start, or perhaps an Avital. Besides, spares for the transmitter keys are about $250 a pop.
Old 02-09-02 | 01:39 AM
Camshaft
Lead Lap

Lex, what would you recomend for a good auto security system? I checked around and found a Viper 500ESP for $200, but is that installed? I presume that I cannot get the 550esp with the remote start because I have a standard. Judging from what people have said, I won't let Best Buy or Circuit city butcher my honey.
Old 02-09-02 | 08:22 AM
Taka
Lexus Test Driver

Currently I'm also looking for after market keyless entry with/without security system. I dont know anything about system but If I get after market system, can I make two system(stock and aftermarket) work together or is it just like disabling stock security system? I like those 2-way LCD remote system (compustar.org etc..) but I guess I dont need good one.

Lex, do you know any good trustable installer in NY area who has done on lexus, sc400/300? if you do, can you email me info? hysh@microdsi.net . thanks
Old 02-09-02 | 09:57 AM
Lex Luthor
Lexus Champion

Taka, where in NY are you? Movin' On Sounds and Security on rte 110 in Farmingdale does nice work, and they do all the install work for Lexus of Massapequa. I know the manager there, let me know if you plan to go, I can call ahead and make sure you're treated right. If that's too far, i'll find a good place for you soon as I know exactly where you're at. You'll end up disabling the factory alarm system, it's very simple, you only have to ground one wire, despite what the installer might tell you. The factory alarm would conflict with certain systems, especially w/ remote start, and it's very easy to defeat, so I wouldn't depend on it anyway. If you're genuinely interested, I can give you a few pointers on how to add some real security to your whip, but nothing beats parking it right outside your bedroom window and keeping a piece in the night table, as I do. If they want it, believe me brother, they'll get it. My friend's Marlboro Maroon '67 Vette was taken out of his driveway, and he had two cars parked behind it, they took a flatbed and literally crashed into the two cars, hooked it up, and dragged it right down the street. I have a friend that used to be able to torch a T5 out of a Mustang in under 30 seconds, you can never be safe enough. Start by adding a dedicated backup power supply to your alarm, and a couple of 'pain generators' in the interior, these are small, high-db sirens on the inside of the car that sound with the alarm, makes it hard to stay inside and rip things out. There are many good alarm systems out there, depends on what features you like, and you can add remote start to a stick car camshaft, but I won't get into that for legal and safety issues. Oh, and you've heard right, most of the chain stores will hack the car, we'll find you a skilled installer you can depend on.
Attached Thumbnails Weird question...-compressed-amp-rack-cd-ps2.jpg.jpg