SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Those that have used SEMs to redye your interior

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-08, 06:21 PM
tcrow31
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Those that have used SEMs to redye your interior

I am looking for the guys that have used SEMs to redye their interior. Specifically those members that have done it 6mo or more ago. I am just curious about the durability. I have found a lot of threads that show the process and final product but not much on the long term.

I am currently using SEMs Classic Coat for vinyl and leather part# 17093 GMC 848 Black. I have only painted 3 parts. The cup holder lid the shifter and the plastic sleeve under the the shift lever. So far I have noticed that the hard plastic parts do not do so well. The cup holder lid has had a full day to dry but it scratches really easy. Now the leather around the shift lever has done really well and seem very durable as of now.

So for you guys that have already done this if you could post how well the redyed parts are holding up and post pics if you want to.

-Tim
Old 05-06-08, 06:28 PM
dz1pnk
Driver

i had the same problem with some of the hard plastics(center console trim...) i removed them, repainted, and left to dry for a week. havent had a problem since(almost a year)
Old 05-07-08, 10:59 AM
Gunnar
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I used VHT interior dye on my steering column and center console, about 8 months ago, and it's worked great. I bought the SEMs to do the rest of the stuff but haven't actually painted them yet.
Old 05-07-08, 11:03 AM
SC3005SPD1
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I used duplicolor for the dash and other parts you dont really touch while driving. Sems worked great on the seats. Check my sig. But let the paint dry for a couple days before you sit on it. Ima do my passenger seat over with adhesion promotor and maybe clearcoat it too. The rear seats are flawless
Old 05-07-08, 07:56 PM
tcrow31
Pole Position

Thanks guys, my main concern is really the hard plastic like the center console and the oh s#%t handle in the back and all the seat belt bracket stuff. I dont plan to do the seats just want to redye the poopy brown parts. Ive so far just redyed the shifter which after 2 days is holding up real well. The cup holder although scratched really easily luckily it was on the underside so a lil touch up and good to go. I wonder if its because the SEMs dye i got specifically says its for vinyl and leather. Might stop by the store and pick up some that is specifically for the plastic and let it sit out and dry longer.

-Tim