SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Clear side bumper lights!

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-02, 02:45 PM
CmputerWiz
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Clear side bumper lights!

Piece of 2' by 2' clear acrylic, $3.85. Home Depot.
Attached Thumbnails Clear side bumper lights!-mvc-846s.jpg  
Old 02-09-02, 02:45 PM
CmputerWiz
Lexus Test Driver

One tube quick grab glue, $3.89 - Eckered
Attached Thumbnails Clear side bumper lights!-mvc-844s.jpg  

Last edited by CmputerWiz; 02-09-02 at 02:48 PM.
Old 02-09-02, 02:47 PM
CmputerWiz
Lexus Test Driver

Paying less that $8 for what costs $100 elsewhere (or $300 imported) ? Priceless.

For some, there's MasterCard. For everyone else, there's "Do it yourself."

SR
Attached Thumbnails Clear side bumper lights!-mvc-840s.jpg  

Last edited by CmputerWiz; 02-09-02 at 03:48 PM.
Old 02-09-02, 02:54 PM
JohnnySC
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Wiz, how about you make me a set and I will send you $25?
Old 02-09-02, 02:58 PM
CmputerWiz
Lexus Test Driver

Well I had to break the yellow lens off of my factory sidemarker lamps, and then glue the new ones onto that. You just want the pre-cut clear plastic pieces?

SR
Old 02-11-02, 08:04 PM
lexcoupe
Lexus Test Driver

Default how?

hey Whiz how did you get to your lenses out? where are their screws? if you could post pics of how i need to get them out. Cuase i got some gs/is lenses and i could use some help on how to get them out, i dont feel like struggling for a long time to get them in, if you could do this soon id appreciate it a lot. Thanks man

Kevin
Old 02-11-02, 08:07 PM
rboorgu
Rookie

Hey

I'm in too. I'll pay 25 bucks for a set of those lenses and the intructions on how to do the mod.

Raj
Old 02-12-02, 05:25 AM
CmputerWiz
Lexus Test Driver

To get the lenses off the car.

1a) Take off the inner plastic wheel well liner, so you can get to the back of the fender.

OR

1b) if you have a lift, put the car in the air. Under the front fender theres a plastic liner, take out all the screws and remove it. You'll see the back of the fender now.

2) There are two 8mm nuts on the back of the light. Remove those, and the light will pop right out. Then just unplug the bulb, and you're done removing them.

As for making lenses... I'm currently trying out different types of plastic lens material. These first ones look good and all, but the plastic isn't very tough, and I'm afraid if I hit one with something it'd break too easily. I'm looking for some better acrylic.

Also we have a few manufacturing companies down here that do injection molding, and I'l toying with that idea. The only issue there is I would have to get a large quantity made....the lowest so far is 500 pieces. Ouch.

SR
Old 02-12-02, 08:59 AM
007lexus
Driver

Originally posted by CmputerWiz
To get the lenses off the car.

1a) Take off the inner plastic wheel well liner, so you can get to the back of the fender.

OR

1b) if you have a lift, put the car in the air. Under the front fender theres a plastic liner, take out all the screws and remove it. You'll see the back of the fender now.

2) There are two 8mm nuts on the back of the light. Remove those, and the light will pop right out. Then just unplug the bulb, and you're done removing them.

As for making lenses... I'm currently trying out different types of plastic lens material. These first ones look good and all, but the plastic isn't very tough, and I'm afraid if I hit one with something it'd break too easily. I'm looking for some better acrylic.

Also we have a few manufacturing companies down here that do injection molding, and I'l toying with that idea. The only issue there is I would have to get a large quantity made....the lowest so far is 500 pieces. Ouch.

SR
500 pieces that would be 250 sc owners. I think it can be done. Put the word out on the net and see what happens.
Old 02-12-02, 10:40 AM
Overclocker
G35x - RWD/AWD goodness

Looks good Steve!

As for material, wasn't there a clear marker thread a few weeks ago and one guy was cutting down the clear markers from the Maxima? How about you use an OEM's marker and cut it to size?

Overclocker

Last edited by Overclocker; 02-12-02 at 10:42 AM.
Old 02-12-02, 12:07 PM
Ali SC4
Pole Position

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Actually I was the one that was discussing cutting down the clear lens of a Maxima, however I had already made mine out of the same plastic that Wiz used and the end result was pretty good. Plus its a pain to get them out again. They have been on the car for more than two months now and I havnt had any problems with them as far as leaking or cracking. But for people who have not done it yet and want to, I would recommend finding clear sutomotive lens, Im sure a trip to the nearest scrap yard would get you enough material to work with pretty cheap.
Old 02-12-02, 01:16 PM
YuuDawg
Driver

i had a guy laser cut thicker plastic with the pattern, and it cost me about $16 for both, I got a heat gun to remove the original ones... that might be a better solution, instead of trying to grind down those flimsy light things, cause i tried that approach before too
Old 02-12-02, 01:39 PM
CmputerWiz
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by YuuDawg
i had a guy laser cut thicker plastic with the pattern, and it cost me about $16 for both, I got a heat gun to remove the original ones... that might be a better solution, instead of trying to grind down those flimsy light things, cause i tried that approach before too
Where in the world did you get this done?! (lasercutting)

I tried for about 10mins with a heat gun, no luck. The plastic felt like it was going to melt, and the durn glue was still solid...lol So I just broke the stuff off.

SR
Old 02-14-02, 01:22 PM
The Ikon
Lexus Champion

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
Thumbs up

Nice job Wiz....
Old 02-14-02, 02:59 PM
SDSC300
Lead Lap

the plastic is weaker .. but not that bad... I am also looking for other plastics that are stronger and a little thicker.
Attached Thumbnails Clear side bumper lights!-sdsc3.jpg  

Quick Reply: Clear side bumper lights!