SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

K & N cone filter

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-02, 11:46 AM
sclextasy
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default K & N cone filter

i was looking on ebay and found this http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/aw-cg...201562&r=0&t=0
Do I need to purchase a separate MAF adapter for this or can I use the billet aluminum one that they supply??
Thanks Jay
Old 02-10-02, 01:22 PM
maajr
Driver School Candidate

Lightbulb

You definitely need a new one. Look at your existing setup and you'll see that it's square not round. They give you a universal adapter so that guy on e-bay is just saying what everyone wants to hear. Just pay the few extra dollars for a custom fit.

I ordered the filter/adapter combo through a tuner shop and got the same adapter. It was $75 bucks. He ordered the right one for an extra $25. The UPS sticker on the box had the company Top Speed located in TX. I also saw the right adapter through lexussc400.com for about $50. I'd recommend not even getting that one you saw. It's not like you can exchange it, right?

I just put it in this week and love it. You hear and notice the difference. Good Luck.
Old 02-10-02, 05:56 PM
anthracitetarga
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

do a search on here under MAF. I bought an adaptor from ImportToys.com and then got a K&N cone filter (part #: RU-3580). I would recommed this setup.

PS: Importtoys.com was great to work with and i highly recommend them.

Derek

BTW: This post would be longer but just do a search and u will find a TON of posts concerning this subject. (mine should be near the beginning)
Old 02-10-02, 06:23 PM
BLK13X
Mortgage Slave

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

Hi sclextasy,

After a while of testing, Peter Scott of LSOC has summed up that the stock Toyota air filter provides the best overall performance of all filters, and he also tested a K&N filter alongside it, so you might want to think twice about buying that air filter, you might jsut be better off buying a replacement Lexus SC400 air filter element.
Old 02-14-02, 11:12 PM
Taka
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

JoRuLE, so stock lexus air filter provides better performance?
Do you have link for those comparison?

I'm planning to try out K&N cone filter. but if stock air filter is better, I might wanna just replace it. anyone knows price for stock air filter?
Old 02-15-02, 01:53 AM
lex400sc
Lexus Fanatic

My first question is who is Peter Scott and what are his qualifications? Second, does he have data for these tests he conducted or were they measured perceptually? I find it hard to believe the OEM filter cartridge is better than the K&N wet sponge replacement cartridge, let alone a K&N wet conical hi-flow filter with much more surface area. The only arguement here is that maybe the performance gain on an aftermarket filter is so small that it is unnoticeable. Whoever Peter Scott is, Startrade AU says something quite different on their site:

"There is no easy way of extracting extra hp from the V8 engine besides a "free-flow" air filter. Later model Lexus SC400 V8 engine has VVTi (variable valve timing) and 280 hp."
Old 02-15-02, 05:04 AM
Keith13b
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm a little curious about that as well. In Peters site, he never makes a mention of oiling his K&N. The K&N allegedly filters better than stock due to the oil. I don't know....Did he just not oil the thing? He also forgets to mention how you have to clean the damn thing every few months and re-oil it. I have seen cars (mine included) that have put many, many miles w/ a K&N. I have torn the block down with no abnormal wear (not talking about my SC here BTW).

To each his own I say.
Old 02-15-02, 05:11 AM
'S'Low Rider
Driver

Wink Who is Pete Scott!!!

Rumour has it, that Pete Scott is in fact 'BFI Man'... the Super Hero of 'Windy City'.......

He saves citizens money by fighting the fight against 'The Advertisers' who claim everything but tie you up in 'red tape' and 'small print' if you ever question them.....

Then again he could just be a mad Australian.....

Take a look here and make your own mind up over his test results.

http://www.users.bigpond.com/pgscott/

PS
He posts here as UZZ32.....
Old 02-15-02, 05:17 AM
Keith13b
Racer

Its a great site, and I trust the mans integrity, knowledge, and interest. Just not sure if he's oiling his K&N!!!!!

I'm gonna do the BFI (everyone knows what that means, right? - cute name) but use a properly oiled K&N panel filter. Replacing the factory filter twice a year gets costly. The K&N is basically a lifetime filter that you clean instead of replace. Just don't over oil it. Peter makes it sound like the thing (K&N) never cloggs and just lets the dirt pass thru. Thats true for all those ricer filters, but the K&N is different - you'll see after you have to clean the damn thing all the time.
Old 02-15-02, 05:47 AM
ChrisK
Lead Lap

Also,

If I remember correctly the test Pete did is with a custom intake pipe. His test concluded that removing the resonator will take away power instead of improving it. Then he says that the stock pipe is better and one thing that needs to be modified is the stock air box to get more air in. He never did a test with the stock pipe, the MAF adapter and the cone filter. By his explanation we are doing the same, keeping the stock pipe (better) and modifying the stock air box (in this case completely removing it) to get more air.

Just my own $.02
Old 02-15-02, 06:08 AM
VQT
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Keith13b,

I bought the K&N filter just for the fact that I don't have to keep buying air filter anymore.
Does any local auto parts store sell the oil and cleaner?
How much does it cost?
How much is too much oil on the filter after you clean the filter?

Originally posted by Keith13b
Its a great site, and I trust the mans integrity, knowledge, and interest. Just not sure if he's oiling his K&N!!!!!

I'm gonna do the BFI (everyone knows what that means, right? - cute name) but use a properly oiled K&N panel filter. Replacing the factory filter twice a year gets costly. The K&N is basically a lifetime filter that you clean instead of replace. Just don't over oil it. Peter makes it sound like the thing (K&N) never cloggs and just lets the dirt pass thru. Thats true for all those ricer filters, but the K&N is different - you'll see after you have to clean the damn thing all the time.
Old 02-15-02, 09:13 AM
Taka
Lexus Test Driver

'S'Low Rider, thanks for the link.

I didn't know much about K&N filter but sounds like it's better.
I dont like repeat the question again but all I need to do is just get adapter and filter and keep original pipe right? Is it necessary to seal with metal sheild?

I alway get 18-22mpg. never got like 26mpg.
Old 02-15-02, 09:17 AM
VQT
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by Taka
'S'Low Rider, thanks for the link.

I didn't know much about K&N filter but sounds like it's better.
I dont like repeat the question again but all I need to do is just get adapter and filter and keep original pipe right? Is it necessary to seal with metal sheild?

I alway get 18-22mpg. never got like 26mpg.
I got mine from cyberauto.com ~$50 and it came with the adapter since the filter is the same size but thinner.
Old 02-15-02, 09:56 AM
'S'Low Rider
Driver

Post Engine &Transmission Section

There are loads of good posts in the Engine &Transmission section that discuss air intakes and filters, have a look, they're very helpful.

But basically Pete's work showed little difference between a K&N panel filter and the stock Lexus filter. If you keep the K&N panel filter clean and oiled you may have some savings long term (a couple of years?). But I'd like to see a long term engine oil analysis of using a K&N, probably not much of an issue if you change the oil on a regular basis.

If you remove the panel filter and air box and replace with a 'cone' filter, then the heat shield is a very good idea. The heat shield will stop hot air from the engine bay being 'sucked' into the engine. Hot air being sucked into the engine is the hp killer.

Or you can cut the front from the air box, keep the stock panel filter and seal the whole area (the BFI ).

Or if you dont want to spend anything and live in a mild/cold temperature zone just remove the top from the stock air box (it just pulls off), this will give an extra zip until the engine bay heats up.....
Old 02-15-02, 10:39 AM
Keith13b
Racer

Originally posted by VQT
Keith13b,

Does any local auto parts store sell the oil and cleaner?
How much does it cost?
How much is too much oil on the filter after you clean the filter?
Just about all stores cary it. It costs ....well, if you buy the cleaner and oil spray, its like 13-16$ for the "Kit". Just the oil is like 9 or 10$- can't remember. These prices are a little old, so they might have gone up. But, for what its worth, I'm still using the same can of oil that I bought back in 1988. A can goes a LONG friggin way.

As far as oiling goes, you want to make it a light pink color. Basically you just lightly dust the filter with the spray (aerosol can) and it will dampen up. If it drips- you just screwed up. I'd clean the filter again and start over. It's not like you are painting it like spray paint. Its like spraying Pam onto the cookie sheet; use very sparingly.

To clean, I just use some really hot water and some palmolive. Fill up the kitchen sink to a sudsy mix and let the filter sit overnight. If I'm bored, I'll agetate it. But in the morning, your sink will look like you just dumped a couple of handful's of dirt into it. Then I just run hot water over the filter to rinse out the soapy water - always to run the water from the engine side out, so you don't push the dirt into the filter. Let dry in the sun (here in FLa, it takes like an hour). Then just 3 quick shots with the oil and you drop in the filter into your car.

There are quicker ways of doing it, but I like to take the time and do it right. Gives me a good excuse to drink beer and not go out.

Quick Reply: K & N cone filter