SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

ZEX Nitrous Kit Help

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-02 | 08:40 PM
EvoTuned
Driver

Default ZEX Nitrous Kit Help

This question really is for anyone but I hope CmputerWiz sees this since he’s done the set up. I finally ordered my ZEX kit. I got the 82015 which is the exact same as the one for imports it just comes with the 125 jet in addition. It’s taken so long because I’ve been trying to find out exactly what I need to have done to the car for everything to work correctly. My car is a 93 SC300 with a manual trans. and about 65K on it. I’ve had my exhaust completely redone with slightly larger piping, Magnaflow turbo mufflers, and just last week I had the rear cat replaced with a high-flow race series one. I’ve got the K&N RU-3580 Cone air filter with an adapter from importtoys. Now as far as the spark plug I’ve seen Denso Iridiums on ebay for around $69. Would these be the best or would BOSCH - Platinum 2997cc work just as well? Also I would like to go with the 125 jet and use a piggy back fuel pump but a ZEX tech said he thought it would run to lean. I have plans for more, but what’s stated above is all that I’ve done this far. What in addition do I need to safely run the 75? And if possible what could I do to run the 125? If I need to go with direct port it will be professionally installed, otherwise, I’ll do the dry set up myself. Your help is greatly appreciated!

Last edited by EvoTuned; 02-10-02 at 09:02 PM.
Old 02-10-02 | 09:07 PM
SC400onDubz
Driver

Default I would not use platinum

Just from my experience, dont use platinum or iridium.

Use plain autolight resistor series with nitrous. The others will cause misses after 1 or 2 uses of nitrous for some reason...
Then the 70 set of plugs are wasted..

Trust me you wont need the 2 hp from the plugs with that kit..

BTW, you need to change your plugs at least 1 time a month when using Nitrous.. Check them every bottle or two to see what your engine is doing...
I am serious, learning how to read a plug is a must if you dont want your engine to go boom!

The spark plugs will let you know if you are detonating...
running lean or rich..

THanks
Scott
Old 02-11-02 | 09:27 AM
mjames08
Pole Position

Default Re: ZEX Nitrous Kit Help

Originally posted by EvoTuned
If I need to go with direct port it will be professionally installed, otherwise, I’ll do the dry set up myself. Your help is greatly appreciated!
Don't run a dry setup!! That's just asking for trouble..
Old 02-11-02 | 09:17 PM
EvoTuned
Driver

Thanks for the tips! Any price estimate for the direct port 'wet' set up? This is the first I've looked into it.
Old 02-12-02 | 09:39 AM
mjames08
Pole Position

Thanks for the tips! Any price estimate for the direct port 'wet' set up? This is the first I've looked into it.

I don't have any experience with direct port systems. When I installed a kit, the fuel and nitrous were shot through a fogger nozzle into the intake tube, about 6" after the air filter. A kit like that would run you $650 - $800. Direct port seems to be much more expensive, but alot more fun and cool looking
Old 02-12-02 | 05:51 PM
CmputerWiz
Lexus Test Driver

If you retard the timing 4deg extra over factory settings, you can safely run the 75hp shot. That's the max that they quote you.

Personally I was running 125hp shot with only 2deg of retard, but I wouldn't reccomend this....you're starting to play in hot water then. The 75 shot is what Zex says is safe. It's a pretty simple install, I put it in the plastic part of the intake JUST before it connects to the throttlebody, so it was as close as possible. And make sure you point the opening of the nozzle in towards the engine...heh

As for plugs, I was running platinums, and also I tried iridium. The best ones I've found so far? Regular ol copper plugs. They detonated less, caused less misfires, and, well, they're $3 each. Clint (sc300tt) told me that's all he uses, and he's pushing upwards of 800hp....so you know they're good plugs. My car is running much better now that I've gone with them. I believe they are Denso 3334 coppers, I'll hafta check. Maybe NGK 3334. I'll look tomorrow.

Now, IF you are going to run the 125 shot... I would reccomend you do at least 4deg of retard, preferably 6. Also upgrading to the supra turbo (late 87-91) fuel pump will be cheaper than the Zex fuel pump, and better suited to the car. Again, I don't really reccomend this setup....I'd say 100 is the max you can safely do, and ZEX says the safest is 75. It's your car.... Just becasue I run it like that, doesnt make it ok....I'm also running high boost on factory compression.

If you've got any other questions, feel free to ask!

SR
Old 02-12-02 | 08:34 PM
EvoTuned
Driver

oops, posted twice. please skip to next post

Last edited by EvoTuned; 02-12-02 at 08:42 PM.
Old 02-12-02 | 08:39 PM
EvoTuned
Driver

Hey thanks for all the tips. Before I read this I ordered the ZEX plugs. The tech said they’d work well with the kit. There were around $5 a piece. I’ve decided keep it a little safer and go with the 100 shot with either a piggy back fuel pump or the one from the 87-91 Supra turbo. Steven, is this where you have the jets? That’s probably where I’ll put mine also. I don't mean the fogger of course, just the jets. I know there’s probably going to be a lot of questions for the intake so I’ll just go ahead and tell it’s a prototype InJen intake made just for that SC400. It can be seen briefly in the fast and furious. No, I haven’t had any luck with trying to purchase one. Maybe a group buy would persuade them! I’m sure I will have more questions when the ZEX kit arrives next week. Thanks again for taking the time to help me out.
Attached Thumbnails ZEX Nitrous Kit Help-lexusintake.jpg  

Last edited by EvoTuned; 02-12-02 at 08:44 PM.
Old 02-13-02 | 05:21 AM
CmputerWiz
Lexus Test Driver

I know that article! It was from, Import Tuner I believe. That same guy had 20's custom made by Arelli.....he's got too much $$!

Ya, thats basically the same location that I had mine, but I put it on the back so if I wanted to go back to stock I could, without anyone being able to see the hole from the jet.

SR
Old 02-13-02 | 01:14 PM
mjames08
Pole Position

That’s probably where I’ll put mine also. I don't mean the fogger of course, just the jets. them!

That looks like a wet system, right? I wish these guys had an application for us: Venom Performance Computer Controlled Nitrous System

Last edited by mjames08; 02-13-02 at 01:16 PM.
Old 02-13-02 | 05:29 PM
CmputerWiz
Lexus Test Driver

Venom does have one....use the Toyota Supra system. I looked at them, and then deicded the $1200 wasnt worth spending on it :/

SR
Old 02-13-02 | 06:31 PM
EvoTuned
Driver

I also looked at the Venom kit and it’s around $1,200 plus shipping. I think there’s better things you can spend the money on. You’re right Steven, that’s the article and I thought the same thing… this guy has to much $$$! I can’t even guess how much he’s put into it. That nitrous setup is a 2-stage NX kit with 50 in the first and 100 in the second! I’m finishing up what needs to be done to install the Zex kit and I was wondering about the black rubber intake arm. Is it necessarily important to have it replaced? If so I’ll have an aluminum one fabricated or get the Weapon R. Also with the S-AFC do you have to reset your car’s computer every month? btw Putting the jets in the back is a great idea so you don’t see the hole. Thanks again!