SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)
View Poll Results: Would you want a supercharger for your SC400?
No thanks.
11.43%
Yes, I would like to see one available.
45.71%
Yes, I would consider buying one soon.
28.57%
Yes, I have been waiting to purchase one immediately.
14.29%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Who wants a supercharger for the SC400?

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-02, 11:54 PM
ToyLexmods
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lex,

Yep, we are on the same page with the SC.

Tell me about this twin turbo Alltrac? My 88 Alltrac has 40k miles, tons of mods, mint cond.....living at 8k feet up near Vail, Co....we use that car for the winter monster. It is an absolute blast to drive on snowpacked roads....Blizzaks on all four corners and 15psi on the upgraded Turbonetics turbo....nothing can stop that car. People look at me like I am nuts to drive that thing at 80mph on snowpack....I just run past people on the hwy like they are standing still. What a car....if the AWD IS happens....I will be on the Lexus dealers door step for the first one. haha

Yes, I do remember Dave A. thats goes back a few years...do you know him?
Old 02-21-02, 07:55 AM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If someone paid me $10k I'd get a turbo kit setup and I guarentee it'd make a whole ****load more power than a measley 350hp...

more like 450-500hp

Twin T28s anyone? Those things would spool so fast it'd be sick

the research can be done; i could do it if i had the time...
anyone here any good at making exhaust manifolds and happens to have access to a mandrel bend machine?
Old 02-21-02, 04:09 PM
SC400Turbo
Driver

I just got back to working on my SC400 turbo project again after about 2 months off. The holidays, vacation and daughters
birthday killed my wallet. But i'm back on track now with decent funds to work with.
The last thing i did was buy a welder to do the piping.
Heres a little background : I have a spare 1UZ I'm using to build the turbo system around. I'm trying to make the
initial turbo system(kit) as simple as possible at first. I want to see what kind of power I can get
from using the basic components and line electronics like AFC and AVCR. The single turbo will sit between the fan and the motor.
I'm avoiding making a custom manifold by reversing the stock ones to face forward. Yes it does fit.
The problem im having now is that the right manifold runs into the alternator. Now im trying to find
out if I can relocate the alternator. Maybe you guys can give me some ideas.?

Yes mechtech is a rip-off for 15K. 350hp for 15K? With 15K, an understanding of how a turbo works and
some mechanic skills you can do it yourself.

Bean,
Heres a little trick if dont happen to have access to a mandel bending machine. You need a
welder and a standard pipe bender. Take the pipe you want to bend, weld one side close with a flat
piece of metal, pack the pipe tight with beach sand, weld the other side closed with a piece of flat metal.
And bend it with the pipe bender. The sand will even pressure on the walls of the pipe while its bending,
thus preventing the walls of the pipe from kinking and giving you a even bend.
Then of course cut the 2 ends and remove the sand.
Old 02-21-02, 04:14 PM
Lex Luthor
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bean, I know someone that can fab the manifolds, and everyone's got a mandrel bender these days, but I fear there's so much more to it, I plan to pick up a 2JZ car, unless SC400Turbo or Todd Matsubura has had some success. I guess I can wait a bit longer. ToyLexmods, Sal's Celica was a rip, lotsa fun. Nothing better at 8000ft elevation than to create your own artificial atmosphere, that alltrac must be a blast, probably a good deal more fun than a iX AWD Bimmer, but a turbocharged AWD IS would be the *****. If it becomes a reality, i'll fly over to you just to help you wrench it, not that you can't do it yourself, but it would be a good project, plus a guaranteed magazine feature. You're not gonna be happy to hear this, but Supra Dave passed away, he will be missed around here. So, Bean, when do you plan to start manufacturing those 1UZ twin T28 turbo kits for under $10,000? Hehe.
- Jon
Old 02-21-02, 04:25 PM
Lex Luthor
Lexus Champion

SC400Turbo, your daughter will have many many birthdays, but we need forced induction now! Kiddin'. Need more details, what's your timetable, what kind of rwhp are you striving for, will you just be using an aux fuel computer and a boost controller? Stock fuel system otherwise? How much boost? Talk to me brother, before I do something crazy like put a GN motor in this thing. I like that sand trick, it's ghetto fabulous.
Old 02-23-02, 08:40 PM
ToyLexmods
Lead Lap

Lex,

Yes, people take a look at my alltrac and say....Oh, what a nice little car. They get alittle closer and say....oh, is that factory paint? how old is this car? Then they take a look inside....and see about 1500 in gauges, more electronics, timing and fuel controllers and say....what the hell is all that?

In the snow, with my winter Blizzaks mounted...this thing turns into an absolute rocketship. My fun for the heavy snow we get. hehe. Every SUV in this ritzy titzy little ski town eats my snow trail. hehe

To get around to your turbo SC4 fuel questions. I would start with this....

Supra TT fuel pump, SAFC, boost control and then monitor injector duty. This should be good for around 6-8 psi boost but we should get a fmic.

Yes, the turbo awd IS would be the shi#. I want to drive one before I ante up 40k and then turbo it. Hell, I have the ultimate sleeper in my Alltrac as it is. I could stick another 10k in that car and have some real trouble on my hands. T67 turbo kit with a full standalone Autronic ecu and this car would be just plain scary.
Attached Thumbnails Who wants a supercharger for the SC400?-rr1mtns.jpg  
Old 02-23-02, 09:09 PM
Lex Luthor
Lexus Champion

She looks to be in great shape, I assume you lay waste to $40,000 SUV's with ease. Hmm, new someone selling a low mile 3SGTE motor not too long ago, a bit of head work with the T67 and Autronic standalone, and you'd find a good competitor for your MKIII. Now, assuming the oe manifolds can be switched around like SC400Turbo says, we have to get past the issue of the alternator clearance/relocation. I'm still kinda convinced that mounting the turbo(s) underneath may be the best route, but whatever it takes to bring this project to fruition, there's only a couple guys around playing with the 1UZ. We need to get Todd Matsubura into this thread and see how his project is going. The fight's on, so I gotta go, but i'll PM Todd tomorrow and see if we can get this ***** going. Oh, and ToyLexMods, Supra Dave died in a bike accident, one of the reasons I don't ride anymore, but the two Ninjas I built up were way too fun in the time I had them, too bad people love to take out bikes with their cars around here, but Dave Arbitol was a pioneer, he was running 11's around here with his MKIII when nobody knew you could. Let's keep this turbo 1UZ-FE thread going, it's Luthor's last chance, before I sell him and pick up an SC3 to turbo, Luthor v2.0 as it were.
Attached Thumbnails Who wants a supercharger for the SC400?-compressed-front-view.jpg  
Old 02-23-02, 09:18 PM
Lex Luthor
Lexus Champion

Oh, and I had a fun snow competitor for your Celica, sold it recently. JGC with worked 5.2 Magnum V8, redone suspension, magnesium O.Z. Racing, nice multimedia install, Quadra-Trac full time all wheel drive, great snowmobile, and everyone was shocked at how well I got it to handle. I just picked up a Wine Red 4dr Explorer, but I dislike it so much i'm not even going to mod it, which is a sin in my book. Anyway, back to turbos, tomorrow i'll look into the alternator relocation for the manifolds, ok, fight is starting, adios.
- Jon
Attached Thumbnails Who wants a supercharger for the SC400?-compressed-jgc.jpg  
Old 02-23-02, 09:19 PM
Lex Luthor
Lexus Champion

Attached Thumbnails Who wants a supercharger for the SC400?-compressed-ford-explorer-4-door-xlt.jpg  
Old 02-25-02, 09:17 AM
ToyLexmods
Lead Lap

Lex,

I cant believe you replaced that Dodge with the Explorer? Anyways....about the snow. Just about 95% of the people up here fail to purchase winter specific tires to match the weather conditions. Those are the folks you see flipped upside down in the ditch or causing multicar pileups. Yes, they all have 4wd's and or new cars with awd.....but tires are tires and they are the only thing keeping you on the hwy in the mountains. People that have even crashed and flipped dont get the idea. Take a certain Physical Therapist I work with at the hospital....she is very smart....but, flipped her 4runner on the hwy....rolled into some rocks....what does she do? Go out and buy a new awd Audi. Did she get winter tires? No, I asked why...."oh, this one will not roll like the truck did" Well, her truck slid out on a corner and she ended up in the ditch rolled. What have you done different to fix that situation? What about the tires? She said it would be fine with the new car. People just dont get it....simple laws of physics. Blizzaks rule in my house!

So, yes I run around like a madman in the snow because I know what my car can do....and I know what my Blizzaks can do...I just keep distance from all the other idiots on the road like the poor gal above. I dont even feel sorry for her....nor will I when she puts the new Audi in the ditch. All she talks about is how much fear she has driving in the snow after the accident. People are just plain idiots sometimes.

Absolutely, lets get some people working on this turbo project or even a basic sc project. I have been looking at some superchargers lately....the new models that have self oiling....seems like a straight forward install...I only need about 6psi boost and I can tune the ecu with a SAFC. I think it will go without a intercooler at 6psi. Like I said before....SAFC, upgrade fuel pump, some gauges a/f, egt and it should be good. Price should come in well under 5k.
Old 02-25-02, 02:50 PM
Lex Luthor
Lexus Champion

ToyLexMods, my company footed the bill on the Explorer, I had already sold the ZJ and didn't intend on buying another truck (it barely snows anymore in NYC, global warming and all) but when they handed me the keys I wasn't exactly going to give them back. They could've at least bought me the 5.0litre, there would be an intercooled Vortech and a small hit on there by now, but they got me the 4.slow, they make a blower for it, but SC300TURBO talked me out of it. At this point, I need some horsies or i'll go mad, haven't owned/built a fast car for awhile, getting withdrawal, it's ugly. I don't doubt we can do a blower for around $5000, i'm just concerned with it being worth it. I know $7000-$8000 will get me a solid 12 sec turboSC3, hi 11's with traction and decent boost. I agree that 5-6psi can be done on stock compression w/out an intercooler and with an S-AFC, and I can tell you the bottom end is definitely strong enough for much more than that, but what will we be getting for that 5-6 pounds of atmosphere? Realistically, +40% hp at the most, so you'd have about the equivalent of a stock Supra TT, 325-350hp, which will probably end up looking like mid 13's at the very best. After that, it's big money. FMIC, FMU, dual Supra or Walbro pumps, -6 or -8 supply line, FPR, a standalone (no existing tunable solutions for the 'dual processor' 1UZ-FE ECU that I can think of other than that), injectors (oe rail is probably good to 600hp), dual MSD, dual Crane coils, lower-compression head gaskets (might have to o-ring, Mo has had some head gasket problems), higher-boost pulley setup, speed density/manifold air pressure metering, not to mention Titanium valvetrain and four custom ground cams from Australia, and if you want the heads done by someone with 1UZ experience, you'll probably want Greg Gower in Australia. There's more, but this is gettin' kinda long. On the other hand, with the click of a mouse the 2JZ guys can get everything they need to build a 1000hp streetable car in their driveway. We need a package that will deliver hp figures for the 1UZ in the 400's, with potential for more, for under $10,000, if you build it , they will come.
- Jon
Old 02-26-02, 06:54 PM
ToyLexmods
Lead Lap

Lex,

Oh how correct you are. You have a good working knowledge of the 2JZ. I agree 100%.....but, remember I dont need to build the 500hp monster SC4....I already have my 87 Supra for that. Heck, I had a 94TT Supra before my SC4 and sold the Supra...way too much attention in that TT Supra as it was the Royal Sap Pearl Blue. The SC I like for the stealth approach and low flying....for me 6psi would be welcome and just add to my daily fun in the summer. Up and over these darn mountain passes around here....10,6 and 11,200ft just to name two.

Yes, the SC4 will never be a 11sec screamer. For that you have the plan...SC3 and mods will get you there no problem.

Ha, how about this for bad to the bone. Front shot of my 87Supra just before the competion is gobbled up in my Grp A front ducting straight from Japan. And yes, thats a big *** HKS intercooler sitting right behind that scoop.
Attached Thumbnails Who wants a supercharger for the SC400?-scoop3.jpg  
Old 02-26-02, 10:41 PM
Lex Luthor
Lexus Champion

Nice MA70, Group A ducting and the FMIC, dig it. I think the MKIV in RSP is a beautiful car, but a stock SC4 at elevation is no bueno, we'll have to do something about that.
Old 11-19-03, 07:29 AM
Lextreme
Lexus Champion

I have done a TT in the V8, finally change to supercharged. I totally agree turbo will make more power. I ran 15 psi on my LS400 and pulls very hard. However, given the situation. Supercharging is the way to go. I just finished my Superchaged LS400 and its being tune. Plan to run 15-18 psi. I have 440 cc/min injectors are too big for the Apexi to control. I am down sizing to 390cc/min. There are 3 kits potentially coming out. Start saving.

My SC400 kit is at work. Most parts from my LS400 will work, but the plumping will be different. One nice thing about the SC4 Vs. LS4. SC4 have lots of room for a HUGE intercooler.
Old 11-21-03, 05:38 PM
London Bill
Lead Lap

There is a lot of B/S talk about turbo'ing the 1UZ engine, Letreme (a man who deserves God status for his efforts), has more or less it was not worth the effort involved and the turbo placement behind the engine is "less than ideal" so he is going with a blower.

The SC/Soarer has no room behind the exhaust manifolds for turbo's. all the room is in front of the engine but the ancillaries get in the way of the pipe work required, personally I think twin turbos are preferred over a single which doubles the complexity.

If a turbo set-up is going to happen you will have to reverse the direction of exhaust manifold exits, of course this is where the alternator, steering & fan pumps, A/C compressor get in the way and I for one do not want a turbo 1UZ at the expense of any luxuries, take a look at the 1UZ fully built;
Attached Thumbnails Who wants a supercharger for the SC400?-1uz_frontend.jpg  

Last edited by London Bill; 11-21-03 at 05:41 PM.

Quick Reply: Who wants a supercharger for the SC400?