SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

My "new to me" project - back from the grave!

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-08, 06:40 PM
AztecSN95
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My "new to me" project - back from the grave!

I purchased this car for $400 with the intention of rebuilding it. I've owned an NA-T SC300, and a BPU+ 6-Speed MKIV TT Supra as well as a host of other cars. Regardless of condition and the time associated with bringing this car back from the dead, I'm going to slowly but surely do my best to save a quality car from the grave. Here are a few pics from the day I got it back to my Condo. Interior will be done in black over the long weekend, and some of my OEM parts will be here early next week. The majority of major body and motor work will be done within the next few months. Thanks for looking!

Just an illustration of the work ahead. Wish me luck, kids.
Old 05-22-08, 06:49 PM
YeA 2jZ
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Damn !! good luck man keep us informed
Old 05-22-08, 06:51 PM
yokojzz30
Rookie

Good luck with it. Is there rear quarterpanel damage on the driverside?
Old 05-22-08, 07:14 PM
Hil
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

whoa good luck. damn 400 is cheap
Old 05-22-08, 07:29 PM
rwdanthony
Lexus Champion

ahh wow, looks like the perfect car to do some fun work. i myself would like to pitch in some labor :] i wish you the best of luck on labor/parts bro.
Old 05-22-08, 07:50 PM
AztecSN95
Pole Position

Originally Posted by yokojzz30
Good luck with it. Is there rear quarterpanel damage on the driverside?
The previous owner was stoned and spun the car off the road and railed a tree on the driver's side. The driver's quarter panel, rear bumper, trunk, front bumper, radiator core support, and passenger side skirt were essentially trashed. The current radiator has a leak, but the car only has 88K on the odometer.

I'm trying to track down the "get back on the road" parts via the classifieds section, and I've got quite a bit of go-fast **** sitting in my guest bedroom for late summer when I can afford to do a complete respray and rebuild. Until then I'm trying to track down a quarter panel that isn't going to cost me a left nut to get shipped to NC. There are NO vendors in my area that have anything in stock of any use - they're all in Cali and NY it seems.
Old 05-23-08, 06:28 AM
trancuongv
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by AztecSN95
The previous owner was stoned and spun the car off the road and railed a tree on the driver's side. The driver's quarter panel, rear bumper, trunk, front bumper, radiator core support, and passenger side skirt were essentially trashed. The current radiator has a leak, but the car only has 88K on the odometer.

I'm trying to track down the "get back on the road" parts via the classifieds section, and I've got quite a bit of go-fast **** sitting in my guest bedroom for late summer when I can afford to do a complete respray and rebuild. Until then I'm trying to track down a quarter panel that isn't going to cost me a left nut to get shipped to NC. There are NO vendors in my area that have anything in stock of any use - they're all in Cali and NY it seems.
You should contact Gazi, he has the hook up for all your SC parts you need to get that car back on the road. He has hooked me and many other forum members here up with parts that we needed.
Old 05-23-08, 01:40 PM
SClean4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Boy, you weren't kidding when you said from the grave. Good luck on it. Surely there are some SC's around you that you could find and get parts from.
Old 05-23-08, 01:58 PM
AztecSN95
Pole Position

Originally Posted by cuonggs300
You should contact Gazi, he has the hook up for all your SC parts you need to get that car back on the road. He has hooked me and many other forum members here up with parts that we needed.
I ordered some stuff from him yesterday, and have managed to track down a quarter panel locally. Another forum member is checking shipping on a front bumper, and I got the car gutted and the top end pulled apart today. Hooray for no work on a friday! Will post pics later.
Old 05-23-08, 03:50 PM
pnyboy27
Lexus Champion

ooo..looks like fun..should be nice once its all done and completed
Old 05-24-08, 08:36 AM
AztecSN95
Pole Position

The weather here sucks today, so I've only accomplished a little bit as of this morning. However, it will be sunny this afternoon, so we'll see what else I can get done. Here are a few teaser pics of the start of cleaning up the engine bay...

"New cam gear cover"

Testing the Wrinkle Red VHT out on the MAF prior to doing the entire Valve Cover and Intake Manifold. EGR Delete and some other goodies should be here today or Tuesday.

Cleaning the TB - which is just as disgusting as the inlet and runners on the Intake Manifold itself.

Also, got the interior pressure washed and prepped for RIT and SEM. So pissed about this weather though!!! Parts are currently soaking awaiting some wrinkle treatment. Also waiting for some damn sun so I can dye my stuff in an area that won't make my pregnant wife want to kill me.
Old 05-24-08, 08:43 AM
atekt
Lexus Test Driver

Wow, definitely looks like quite the project. I wish you luck man, it will be interesting to see it when completed.
Old 05-24-08, 11:39 AM
AztecSN95
Pole Position

Had a few more pictures that I wanted to toss up while I was around.

So when I was pulling the spark plug cover off, this is what I found sitting on the 5&6 plug wires, under the rear cover. After a lot of poking and prodding, there is no other explanation other than this possibly being a rodent nest of some kid. There is NO way a bird got up under there, nor did this debris simply fly up under the top cover of the motor and wedge itself into a nest-shaped object:

Stock Valvetrain:

Nasty-*** Residue of what I'm assuming is a mix of oil, carbon, and coolant sitting in the upper intake manifold just after the Y-pipe split:
Rear Runners:

Front Runners:

Valve covers, upper manifold, throttle body, etc are baking in the oven while the carpet is now about to get assaulted with some black RIT. Thanks for looking.
Old 05-24-08, 12:39 PM
SC400DAVE
Lexus Test Driver

Looks like you have got your hands full with a pregnant wife and a SC build! When is the baby due? My son is 8 1/2 months old now. Keep us in the loop on your build. I love seeing these masterpieces being resurrected!
Old 05-24-08, 03:00 PM
AztecSN95
Pole Position

Originally Posted by SC400DAVE
Looks like you have got your hands full with a pregnant wife and a SC build! When is the baby due? My son is 8 1/2 months old now. Keep us in the loop on your build. I love seeing these masterpieces being resurrected!
My wife is technically due on the 27th of this month, thus why I'm rushing to knock out what I can early prior to having not only a sleep deprived wife, a restless, crying, pooping, eating machine, this project, and my job - which is less than forgiving about hours. The upside is that I get 6 weeks of leave starting June 1st. Awesome.

The interior carpet is now black by the way, and the rest of the upper motor came out great. Pictures tomorrow for sure. I'm waiting to put the upper back together until I can decide for sure whether I want to go ahead with the HG and ARP hardware up top. Might as well do it now, right?

Quick Reply: My "new to me" project - back from the grave!