SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)
View Poll Results: What do i do with my SC?
Get it repaired
8.70%
Take the money and get a new one
91.30%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

life or death for my sc, opinions?

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-08, 05:52 PM
ihiryu
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Man that sucks, I think you and DasBach should just put both of yours together to make one nice SC
Old 05-29-08, 01:49 PM
synstudios
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SC400DAVE
Sorry to hear about the wreck. Since it was a rear end the other party is automatically at fault so you should be able to get enough money out of the deal for another SC or get yours fixed up. I don't know how common the SC is on the islands though. It may be tough to find another one. Good luck on whatever you decide!
Haha, and this is were it gets interesting...
Hawaii, is a no-fault state. (probably due to the insanely high number of bad drivers), so his insurance will cover my car, but anything outside of the cost of repair/replacement i have to go through my insurance, pay the deductible and then sue him (and/or his insurance) to re-imburse my insurance.

I think i'm going to push the insurance company to write it off.. Then i'm going to try and find a clean 5speed SC300. I do not want to end up stuck with a salvage title...
Old 05-30-08, 12:11 AM
synstudios
Driver School Candidate

first quote came back..

$2500 (open ended) Assuming there is little/no damage aside from what's visible.

Two more quotes in the works.

I'm fairly confident this is the lowest of the quotes i'm going to get...

...Since the book value on my car is like $4700, i'm pretty sure it will be written off by the insurance company.

Anybody know what the specifics are for insurance write-offs?
Old 06-03-08, 04:11 AM
synstudios
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by synstudios
first quote came back..

$2500 (open ended) Assuming there is little/no damage aside from what's visible.

Two more quotes in the works.

I'm fairly confident this is the lowest of the quotes i'm going to get...

...Since the book value on my car is like $4700, i'm pretty sure it will be written off by the insurance company.

Anybody know what the specifics are for insurance write-offs?
I asked around, and have learned that the general rule of thumb in the event of an accident is: If the damage is 75% of the value of the car, they write it off..

So here's my thoughts..

The car is getting the frame checked tomorrow.. if the frame is straight then the damage is purely cosmetic.. (but not cheap if you replace everything with oem lexus parts) supposing i replace the needed bits with aftermarket, and pull a clean tail light support from a scrapped sc..

I can take the repair money, and then basically build the car into a track-****.

Strip the interior, do a full roll cage (just in case) and buy my 1jz swap..

(BTW: i'm 99% capable of doing the work myself.. and $3k WOULD get me a decent motor)

It might have a salvage title, but..... it'd be pretty sweet..
Old 06-03-08, 04:41 AM
Raph TT
Pole Position

^^like that idea
Old 06-03-08, 05:40 AM
uras300
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry to hear about the accident. I know it is very difficult to find any SC in Hawaii, let alone a 5speed. (I've looked for 2 years and decided to ship one from SoCal.) It might be best to go with track car route due to how rare SC's are in Hawaii. Good luck!
Old 06-03-08, 11:44 PM
papodotcom
Driver

Originally Posted by synstudios
I asked around, and have learned that the general rule of thumb in the event of an accident is: If the damage is 75% of the value of the car, they write it off..

So here's my thoughts..

The car is getting the frame checked tomorrow.. if the frame is straight then the damage is purely cosmetic.. (but not cheap if you replace everything with oem lexus parts) supposing i replace the needed bits with aftermarket, and pull a clean tail light support from a scrapped sc..

I can take the repair money, and then basically build the car into a track-****.

Strip the interior, do a full roll cage (just in case) and buy my 1jz swap..

(BTW: i'm 99% capable of doing the work myself.. and $3k WOULD get me a decent motor)

It might have a salvage title, but..... it'd be pretty sweet..

im not to sure but i believe if they cut you a check, they keep your car no repairing it, you simply have to look for a new one.
Old 06-04-08, 02:37 AM
SC400DAVE
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by papodotcom
im not to sure but i believe if they cut you a check, they keep your car no repairing it, you simply have to look for a new one.
Actually, you can keep the car and the insurance co. will deduct the "scrap" price for the car. Probably around $600.00.
Old 06-04-08, 03:14 PM
breakb
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sc's aren't that rare, i see them around now a days more since i've got one, lol. but compared to other lex's...i guess they actually are one of the rarer one's. and i love my sc.

good luck though with which ever path you choose. track car, or rebuild or pick up another. it should be all good either way.

Peace out
Old 06-04-08, 09:37 PM
JJsc3
Driver

Your car is totaled, and not even the fact that labor is high or anything over at where you live. There's obviously frame damage, and that's what costs the big bucks in repairs. Cost of the damage should be way over what your car is worth. I'm sure you'll still get about $7g's back at least. They usually honor the high blue book value to make sure you'll find another car. It's actually not too bad, because you can find yourself an SC for about $3g's, and use the rest to fix it up bro.