SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

97 Sc300 newbie questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-08, 09:12 PM
Sup2jzgte
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 97 Sc300 newbie questions

Whats up everyone this is my first post on this forum, but not my first time on forums. I have been a long time member of newtiburon.com seeing how I have one So I know the biggest annoyance on forums are people who dont use the search feature..................now I'm not going to lie I have not used the search feature as of yet because I just found this place and I'm dead tired from working a 15 hour shift, so if the questions in this post have been asked many times please excuse me because normally I do use the search feature.

So with that said I'm going to be picking up a 1997 Lexus SC300 tomorrow and Im going to be using it as a daily driver for a few months then I will be doing a few mods to it and possibly and engine swap, but that is not going to be until later on. The car has just under 170k on it and as far as I can tell it has all scheduled maintenance and drives smooth.................the thing I dont like about it is the fact that it is an automatic, but hey beggars cant be choosers right , but regardless of that I would like to know what are common issues with these cars at this mileage, if any? What should I check and double check?

Now the car looks pretty good for its age I mean it has its normal wear paint wise and the only rather big issues look wise is the front bumper which has a spider crack right near the head light and there is a 2 inch rust spot on the hood other than that there are no huge dents, major scratches and such. The inside has its normal wear on the seats, but the floor and dash are in great shape............I mean I only paid a bit over $4k for it.
Old 06-02-08, 09:44 PM
PERRYinLA
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Too tired to realize that in the time you typed that all up, you could have just searched, huh?

go to WWW.INTELLEXUAL.NET and start reading.
(Once you are no longer tired, that is.)
Old 06-02-08, 09:50 PM
Sup2jzgte
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by PERRYinLA
Too tired to realize that in the time you typed that all up, you could have just searched, huh?

go to WWW.INTELLEXUAL.NET and start reading.
(Once you are no longer tired, that is.)
Yeah it really took me about 3 minutes or so to type that up, but thats for the link
Old 06-02-08, 11:11 PM
Hil
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

nice price.. post some pics
Old 06-02-08, 11:21 PM
Sup2jzgte
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by high0ncarz
nice price.. post some pics
I can get better ones tomorrow after noon

Old 06-02-08, 11:22 PM
Sup2jzgte
Lexus Test Driver

Old 06-02-08, 11:23 PM
Sup2jzgte
Lexus Test Driver

Old 06-03-08, 10:10 AM
Baoser
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

wow....black/black 97 for cheappp....congrats, welcome to 202 club =D
Old 06-03-08, 01:45 PM
Sup2jzgte
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks, I was very skeptical because of the mileage and the paint issues but I could not resist. The funniest thing is that I found it on Ebay 2 hours after it was posted and right away I sent him an email asking when I could see it................was located exactly 5 minutes from my house. His starting price was $3500 and when i saw it I told him I would do $4k right there, but he wanted to see where Ebay took it because KBB has it valued at $7k and was looking for about $5k+. Well I put my max bid on Ebay for $4k and let it be...........here is the funny part I was out bid but some monkey *** who in the end never contacted the seller and it fell through. So 3 days after the auction I get a call from the seller asking me if I was still interested and he would let it go for $4k...........................needless to say i jumped on it and now here I am a proud owner if a 97 Sc300 .

I just hope this is not a time bomb waiting to go off (knock on wood). The biggest issues are the paint, Needs new tires and it has a saggy drivers door.........and well the miles but from what Im reading 170K really is not all that much for these cars which is awesome.

Im getting repainted in a month or so for $500 (my gf's brother owns a paint shop) and its going from black to GunMetal.

All and all I think I made out pretty good. The total for the car and all the damn Mass *** taxing is $5k which is pretty good if you ask me but honestly Im not sure..........what do you guys think? Not to mention my insurance is only going to be $800 a year
Old 06-03-08, 01:55 PM
J:M
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by Cynical
All and all I think I made out pretty good. The total for the car and all the damn Mass *** taxing is $5k which is pretty good if you ask me but honestly Im not sure..........what do you guys think? Not to mention my insurance is only going to be $800 a year
Blue Book $7k, you paid $5k. Nuff said. =)