SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

home depot lip?

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-08, 04:03 PM
rpx13
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by yauser
So what's your point there? Who cares? Why do I care about people cutting corners vs. people who don't? Why did you even decide on saying that for? Don't get me wrong here; I'm not mad at you for what you posted earlier, but I just don't understand what's your point here if you're trying to prove you're innocent? It's almost like saying..., babies that are newborns will separate themselves from adults, Lol.. You see where I'm coming from, ?
i think you're takin my statement literally instead of figuratively...lets change the word from "seperate" to "distinguish" since you dont seem to comprehend how im using the word....what i mean by "seperate" is if someone's using garage door liners to use as their front lip kit there might be a chance that the mod "seperates" or "distinguishes" them from someone that say, buys the Wald lip. The mod using the garage door liners, "distinguishes" the mod most likely in a less than "classsy" way (again, not economically). Let me ask you this...would u use a garden hose to replace some of your hoses in your engine?...sorta the same concept...

Last edited by rpx13; 07-29-08 at 04:06 PM.
Old 07-29-08, 04:07 PM
AztecSN95
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rpx13
I think ur missing my point...if u read the first part of my reply i stated that "it actually doesnt look that bad, if thats your thing" and props to those that got creative......what i was simply stating is that those that decide to go the easy "cheap" way will seperate themselves from those that dont cut corners. It's like buying a 1 piece rim as opposed to a 2/3 piece rim...asthetically it could look the same, but quality wise there is a difference, and YOU'RE ignorant if you dont understand that...if you actually read the posts, people that have the HD lip seem to state how cheap it cost them (and theres nothing wrong with that)...but that to ME is cutting corners...and as far as Alpine vs Jensen, I understand theres better brands, I was simply making a quick comparison...and what I meant by class has nothing to do with economics...hopefully u get my drift...
Dude, while I appreciate the fact that everyone has their own taste and budget, your posts in regards to the topic are completely idiotic. There are plenty of SCs running around on this board with tens of thousands of dollars invested in them that you couldn't PAY me to drive. They are hideous. They are gaudy. They scream things about their owners that I would never want people to think of me. HOWEVER, I respect the fact that there was an investment of time, money, or blood/sweat to get those cars to where they are. Thats it.

I will put my old 1-piece HREs, CCWs, or iForged wheels against whatever piece of **** 2-3 piece wheels you can find and be quite a bit happier, so that comparison is just plain stupid. You are trying to argue your opinion in a childish way. If you simply stated that it looked good and you'd prefer to see XXXXXXXXX you would have portrayed your view much better. Instead you call these people cheap and essentially classless. Says a lot about how much class you have.
Old 07-29-08, 04:07 PM
yauser
Rookie

i think you're takin my statement literally instead of figuratively...lets change the word from "seperate" to "distinguish" since you dont seem to comprehend how im using the word....what i mean by "seperate" is if your using garage door liners to use as your front lip kit there might be a chance that your mod "seperates" or "distinguishes" you from someone that say, buys the Wald lip. The mod using the garage door liners, "distinguishes" your mod most likely in a less than "classsy" way (again, not economically). Let me ask you this...would u use a garden hose to replace some of your hoses in your engine?...sorta the same concept...
Originally Posted by yauser
babies who use crayons will separate themselves from those who don't, Lol..

Actually, I made some corrections from the above post. This one didn't make sense, Lol..

Last edited by yauser; 07-29-08 at 04:14 PM.
Old 07-29-08, 04:11 PM
rpx13
Lead Lap

again, you base class with "money"...thats not it....economics has nothing to do with class....i can be rich and if i use garden tools on my car that might be deemed as no class....get it???
Old 07-29-08, 04:17 PM
yauser
Rookie

again, you base class with "money"...thats not it....economics has nothing to do with class....i can be rich and if i use garden tools on my car that might be deemed as no class....get it???
UGH!! As much as I hate to have to fire back and continue on with this, but I just wanted to say 2 last things. A majority of Alpine products are more expensive than Jensen products. And.., nobody cares about no class, whatever you consider that to mean. People do however, understand the word low-class, so just be careful what you say next time.

Come on.., let's get back on topic here.
Old 07-29-08, 04:19 PM
rpx13
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by AztecSN95
Dude, while I appreciate the fact that everyone has their own taste and budget, your posts in regards to the topic are completely idiotic. There are plenty of SCs running around on this board with tens of thousands of dollars invested in them that you couldn't PAY me to drive. They are hideous. They are gaudy. They scream things about their owners that I would never want people to think of me. HOWEVER, I respect the fact that there was an investment of time, money, or blood/sweat to get those cars to where they are. Thats it.

I will put my old 1-piece HREs, CCWs, or iForged wheels against whatever piece of **** 2-3 piece wheels you can find and be quite a bit happier, so that comparison is just plain stupid. You are trying to argue your opinion in a childish way. If you simply stated that it looked good and you'd prefer to see XXXXXXXXX you would have portrayed your view much better. Instead you call these people cheap and essentially classless. Says a lot about how much class you have.
I agree with everything you're saying...everyone DOES have their own taste and budget and you're right about having cars with tons of $$$ invested in them that are hideous...i absolutely agree with you BUT you're telling me that someone using a GARAGE DOOR LINER on their LEXUS, or any car for that matter, as a front lip is not in poor taste?...you're probably the same type of person that thinks hubcap spinners are a cool mod cause he put his blood, sweat, n tears doin it...btw, how much blood, sweat, and tears does it take to put a liner on with double sided tape and a few screws?...u base everything on looks instead of quality....im not basing it on looks...cause it looks great! but c'mon dude....garage door liners on your Lexus????

Last edited by rpx13; 07-29-08 at 11:16 PM.
Old 07-29-08, 04:22 PM
AztecSN95
Pole Position

I find that the vast majority of people that have done this mod have done it as a temporary stop-gap until moving on to something else. Those that choose to leave it feel like investing in a $500+ lip that is simply going to get gouged to hell from daily driving is senseless and a poor investment. I see nothing wrong with that. If no one told you what the lips were made out of you'd probably be none-the-wiser and want one.
Old 07-29-08, 04:38 PM
rpx13
Lead Lap

I find that the vast majority of people that have done this mod have done it as a temporary stop-gap until moving on to something else. Those that choose to leave it feel like investing in a $500+ lip that is simply going to get gouged to hell from daily driving is senseless and a poor investment. I see nothing wrong with that. If no one told you what the lips were made out of you'd probably be none-the-wiser and want one.
you're absolutely right...i would want one....i'd get one as a gift to my bro so he can put it on his Toyota Celica...

Last edited by rpx13; 07-29-08 at 04:44 PM.
Old 07-29-08, 04:46 PM
rpx13
Lead Lap

I find that the vast majority of people that have done this mod have done it as a temporary stop-gap until moving on to something else.
why get something better if this was such a great mod?...you've sorta made my point..."temporary"...because they want something better...

Last edited by rpx13; 07-29-08 at 05:09 PM.
Old 07-29-08, 09:59 PM
vipsoarer
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Not to continue to insight riots but i do have something better, a full carbon lip but i am so much happier rockin the "tasteless" and "poor mans part" because i dont have to worry about scraping. The saddest part is all of these super high end parts are made out of the same stuff as most of the crap parts. Usually the only different between the two (atleast for parts for the sc) is the style and how well they fit from the factory. Hell no one company makes full carbon hoods for our cars, all of them are crap fiberglass with a layer of carbon gelcoated on top. The only thing that separates the two is how much people are willing to pay for a name plate. its like napa oil... its made by mobile one if you read the fine print, but it costs half the price.
Old 07-29-08, 11:12 PM
rpx13
Lead Lap

Here's one final thought...I respect everyones innovation and creativity, but I dont believe in sacrificing quality all in the name of originality. There's nothing wrong with rockin a home depot lip, an knock-off kit, fake carbon fiber pieces, etc. but I believe we drive Lexus cars for a reason. The quality of our merchandise, the consistency of our product, and the integrity of our brand gets tarnished because some chose to outfit their rides with "second hand" merchandise. It has nothing to do with how much our cars are worth or how expensive your mods are. It has to do with pride and in wanting to get the best things for our cars.

I didn't intend on offending anyone in anyway. I just wanted to congratulate those that didnt sacrifice the class of the Lexus brand for the sake of saving a buck.

Last edited by rpx13; 07-29-08 at 11:21 PM.
Old 07-30-08, 11:42 AM
cbrasian
Lead Lap

technically your still wrong with your thinking.. what makes you think something you paid 200 bucks for isn't the same quality of something you can buy at home depot or have someone fabricate for less? usually its the same material and the only reason they charge an arm and a leg is because of the name and knowing the fact people will pay more just for the name I have fabricated tons of parts heat shields, exhausts, battery cases, scatter shields, roll cages for people so your saying I'm low class and the customers i've worked on are low class because we decided to make it than buy some name brand???... literally by the words of your choice then aftermarket rims would mean your lower class than those who kept oem rims because your using a "second hand" merchandise..... personally as mechanic, a fabricator, and a lexus owner I have never been so insulted in my life... and unless you take your car to a dealership 24/7 if you showed your fabricator or mechanic that he'd prolly laugh just by the poor choice of words your using....also I think this thread should be closed soon as this is getting a bit out of hand

Last edited by cbrasian; 07-30-08 at 11:48 AM.
Old 07-30-08, 12:27 PM
rpx13
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by cbrasian
technically your still wrong with your thinking.. what makes you think something you paid 200 bucks for isn't the same quality of something you can buy at home depot or have someone fabricate for less? usually its the same material and the only reason they charge an arm and a leg is because of the name and knowing the fact people will pay more just for the name I have fabricated tons of parts heat shields, exhausts, battery cases, scatter shields, roll cages for people so your saying I'm low class and the customers i've worked on are low class because we decided to make it than buy some name brand???... literally by the words of your choice then aftermarket rims would mean your lower class than those who kept oem rims because your using a "second hand" merchandise..... personally as mechanic, a fabricator, and a lexus owner I have never been so insulted in my life... and unless you take your car to a dealership 24/7 if you showed your fabricator or mechanic that he'd prolly laugh just by the poor choice of words your using....also I think this thread should be closed soon as this is getting a bit out of hand

Agreed with most everything ur saying, there are many companies out there selling 2nd hand quality products for a pretty penny, BUT this thread was about a "home depot lip" and if you're saying you're a mechanic, then it would be ridiculous for you to think that a GARAGE DOOR SEALER is of good quality....that thing is so flimsy...I'd be terrified to bring you my car if you think products like that are quality material...id think it be pretty insulting to the rest of the mechanics on here if I brought them my vehicle and told them I used garage door sealer as an aftermarket lip...and don't give me that bs with mechanics and fabricators cause I have family that owns a body shop and he'd laugh at your suggestion that crap like garage door sealers are an acceptible option ...ur missing the point of my discussion, i suggest u scroll back and read....

side note: If you need a good reputable body shop in SoCal please solicit The Auto Network in San Gabriel, CA....ask for John....(he won't lie to you and tell you Home Depot lips are the *****)

Last edited by rpx13; 07-30-08 at 12:52 PM.
Old 07-30-08, 12:51 PM
cbrasian
Lead Lap

you can use it if you want personally like i said before i wouldn't as i made a full lip plus ducting out of sheet metal... a lip you buy is a cheap piece of plastic and the the door sealer idea would be flimsy as heck but you can fix that by renforcing it... by the way where did i say it is door sealer is good quality ??? did i even say that?? no i don't think so, so before you assume that i did and try to personally attack me on things i didn't say you better get your facts straight i think your poor choice of words is what make people angry and frankly I've worked on cars and had them on covers and compete professionally ...if i saw one (a home depot lip) i'd laugh... but i'd give them credit for their creativity and keep my .02 out of insulting them

Last edited by cbrasian; 07-30-08 at 12:56 PM.
Old 07-30-08, 01:08 PM
FormosaSC
Lexus Champion

hahah soon they will be running out of that stuff lol. im actually liking the HD lip on white 97 bumpers, very nice looking actually.

Quick Reply: home depot lip?