SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

too good to be true?

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-08, 03:23 PM
mr2tosc4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default too good to be true?

Came upon an ad for a 97 sc400 for $4000 in craigslist. When I asked where the car was this is the reply:

Lexus SC 400 only 82,300 miles, year 1997! Car has always been garaged and meticulously maintained. You will be hard pressed to find a nicer SC400. The tires have 50% tread left and are Pirelli 4000. 225x55-16. This car runs and drives like new. 4.0L V8 DOHC 32V EFI engine, vin JT8CH32Y1V1000552, title clean, automatic transmission, AM/FM/Cassette/6-CD changer audio system, ice cold air conditioning, automatic climate control, lighted entry system, chrome wheels, gold anodized emblems, power antenna, power moonroof power spoiler, power brakes rear window defroster, digital instrument panel, traction control, leather bucket seats, dual power seats w/memory, power tilt and telescopic steering wheel, tachometer, power heated mirrors, 4-wheel ABS driver and passenger Front airbags, anti-theft alarm system, cruise control, power steering, remote trunk release, keyless entry system, leather shift **** trim, leather steering wheel trim, fog lights, power windows, automatic on/off headlights, electrochromatic exterior mirror(s), electrochromatic rear view mirror. My wife was recently promoted so we had to move in New York. We brought the car with us. Besides, there are a lot of things which have priority now, so, this car has to go. As you probably noticed, the price is rather low $4,000 for you if you will buy it today or tomorrow. Genuine reason for sale: my business didn't work out the way I planned.
Due to the fact I am very busy with my work and I don't stay too much at home, the car is already to the shipping company and will be delivered from there very fast, shipping cost is included in price. The transaction will be made under eBay's buyer protection plan. So, please reply back with your full name and shipping address if you are really interested in purchasing this car so we can start the arrangements! Thanks! /endquote

So...anyone wanna check out the vin first? Also, how will eBay's buyer protection plan come in the picture if it's not being bought from ebay? Unless this is also posted in ebay.
Old 06-11-08, 03:31 PM
mr2tosc4
Lexus Test Driver

Btw, he sent me pics as well:

Old 06-11-08, 03:47 PM
TroySC300
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would start by asking for more pics to see if he actually has the car.
Old 06-11-08, 03:47 PM
9deucelex
Rookie

There was another posting like this one regarding a 1997 Supra for $6000 using the same story. Be careful.
Old 06-11-08, 03:50 PM
Dougspeed
Lead Lap

Lol, please tell me you're not this naive. It's a scam, that post has been flagged a couple times that it's been put up on craigslist. First off, the car is not being sold on eBay so why would eBays buyer protection plan even come into play? And c'mon, $4k? To ship a car all the way back to Cali from NY. None of it adds up, it's the typical car/escrow scam.
Old 06-11-08, 03:56 PM
mr2tosc4
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Dougspeed
Lol, please tell me you're not this naive. It's a scam, that post has been flagged a couple times that it's been put up on craigslist. First off, the car is not being sold on eBay so why would eBays buyer protection plan even come into play? And c'mon, $4k? To ship a car all the way back to Cali from NY. None of it adds up, it's the typical car/escrow scam.
The rational part of my brain cries SCAM and the passionate pursuit for a bargain side of my brain says "you never know!"
Old 06-11-08, 04:01 PM
timer00
Pole Position

Originally Posted by mr2tosc4
The rational part of my brain cries SCAM and the passionate pursuit for a bargain side of my brain says "you never know!"
Thats how scams work they prey on your passionate pursuit for a "bargain" hehe

Not saying you didn't know this was probably a scam its just funny how the world works.
Old 06-12-08, 11:24 AM
FormosaSC
Lexus Champion

same guy selling in WA... here is the email i recieved:

Lexus SC 400 only 82,300 miles, year 1997! Car has always been garaged and meticulously maintained. The tires have 50% tread left and are Pirelli 4000. 225x55-16. This car runs and drives like new. 4.0L V8 DOHC 32V EFI engine, vin JT8CH32Y1V1000552, title clean, automatic transmission, AM/FM/Cassette/6-CD changer audio system, ice cold air conditioning, automatic climate control, lighted entry system, chrome wheels, gold anodized emblems, power antenna, power moonroof power spoiler, power brakes rear window defroster, digital instrument panel, traction control, leather bucket seats, dual power seats w/memory, power tilt and telescopic steering wheel, tachometer, power heated mirrors, 4-wheel ABS driver and passenger Front airbags, anti-theft alarm system, cruise control, power steering, remote trunk release, keyless entry system, leather shift **** trim, leather steering wheel trim, fog lights, power windows, automatic on/off headlights, electrochromatic exterior mirror(s), electrochromatic rear view mirror. My wife was recently promoted so we had to move in New York. We brought the car with us. Besides, there are a lot of things which have priority now, so, this car has to go. As you probably noticed, the price is rather low $4,000 for you if you will buy it today or tomorrow. Genuine reason for sale: my business didn't work out the way I planned.
Due to the fact I am very busy with my work and I don't stay too much at home, the car is already to the shipping company and will be delivered from there very fast, shipping cost is included in price. The transaction will be made under eBay's buyer protection plan. So, please reply back with your full name and shipping address if you are really interested in purchasing this car so we can start the arrangements!

Thanks!
Old 06-12-08, 11:25 AM
FormosaSC
Lexus Champion

this is a scam no doubt about it... low life scums.
Old 06-12-08, 11:33 AM
Peter_95
Lexus Champion

what you can do, something i do when i want to purchase something not very close, i always message the seller, and tell them ill be in the area in less than a week for business, and ask for their whole address and info, let them know you want to see it in person.....
they will usually either
A) not respond, and respond back after the date you tell them you will be in town...
B) say that they are willing, and on the day you told them you will be there, when you call, they never pick up (the whole day morning, afternoon and night)
C) They pick up and want to meet (That's when you know they are legit)

becareful....
Old 06-12-08, 11:35 AM
SATXSC400
Pole Position

I look for a phone number, if none is provided I skip it and sometimes flag it.
Old 06-12-08, 11:46 AM
tavarish
Lexus Test Driver

there's also a 98 SC for sale for $3300 in NYC, beware of this scam...he's located in battery park.
Old 06-12-08, 04:09 PM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am selling my 97 SC3 with 189K miles for 5300, 97 SC4 with 80K for 4000?
Give me a break.
Old 06-12-08, 05:30 PM
Jonathan o
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 1SickSC
this is a scam no doubt about it... low life scums.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^Smart man here.
Old 06-12-08, 05:30 PM
lexdud
Pole Position

I bought my SC on Craigslist with no problems whatsoever.

But this is a scam ...

Quick Reply: too good to be true?