SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Any easy way to make cigarette lighter always on?

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-08, 06:13 PM
trackball
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any easy way to make cigarette lighter always on?

As the subject line says, I wondering if there is any easy way to make the cigarette lighter be always on, rather than tied to the ignition as it is now. Did a search, but didn't find much.
Old 06-20-08, 06:51 PM
Peter_95
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by trackball
As the subject line says, I wondering if there is any easy way to make the cigarette lighter be always on, rather than tied to the ignition as it is now. Did a search, but didn't find much.
why will you need this to always be on? what is your purpose?
Old 06-20-08, 07:16 PM
Damned04
Driver

Originally Posted by Peter_95
why will you need this to always be on? what is your purpose?
Charge your cell when your not in the car??
Old 06-20-08, 07:17 PM
trackball
Rookie

Ideally, I would like to be able to charge the cellphone or GPS when I turn off the ignition and leave the car.
Old 06-20-08, 07:39 PM
Kohinoor
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

thats gonna be a big drain on your battery
Old 06-20-08, 07:55 PM
ihiryu
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

wire straight to battery. I don't think it's a good idea either.
Old 06-20-08, 08:24 PM
trackball
Rookie

Every other car I have ever had has had power at the cigarette lighter after the ignition is off. Maybe this is a Toyota thing -- my mom's Camry is the same way (and equally inconvenient when you are in the road with a dead cellphone).

Continuity to battery through the lighter socket is especially handy for using the chargers or boosters (like my CTEK charger) through the lighter rather than opening the hood.
Old 06-20-08, 10:22 PM
synstudios
Driver School Candidate

it's actually pretty easy, but it IS a big drain on the battery..

You need to find a 12V constant (ie: stereo) and tap it into that. I'd increase the fuse size for whatever system you plug into. The cigarette lighter is a pretty high draw circuit, so you may want to consider running it directly to the battery. If you do decide to go this route, DEFINITELY put an in-line fuse on the line. Also, you may want to consider wiring it to a toggle switch, so you have the option of turning it off.

F.Y.I: your charger draws power even if the device is not attached to it, so don't plug it in unless you're using it. (couldn't figure out why my electric bill was so high.. a laptop, ipod charger and a cell charger were the culprits)

Personally, i'd invest in a better battery (optima?).. as the increased drain and charge cycles could shorten it's lifespan.

I'd do the install much the same as an amplifier hookup.

As always, make sure you know what you're doing BEFORE you start. Proper tools, safety equipment, yadda, yadda, yadda...

Alternately you could go all out and install a power inverter instead. Mount it in the glovebox, or maybe integrate it into the center console... nothing beats a 120v hookup in the car.. (and you're only an in-dash away from a videogame system!)
Old 06-20-08, 11:32 PM
Kaydee
Hacked CL to become a Mod

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

pretty pointless IMO...but at least you'd be able to call for help if your battery's dead
Old 06-20-08, 11:48 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

Just wire the positive terminal straight to the battery.

And no it's not going to be a big drain unless you're charging something huge. If it's just a cell phone then its no problem. The car's battery has a MUCH larger capacity than the cell phone's battery. Left unplug, you will not be draining anything. Just dont leave the charger in while the phone is on.
The following users liked this post:
BPlove (01-11-20)
Old 06-21-08, 12:53 AM
synstudios
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by GSteg
Just wire the positive terminal straight to the battery.

And no it's not going to be a big drain unless you're charging something huge. If it's just a cell phone then its no problem. The car's battery has a MUCH larger capacity than the cell phone's battery. Left unplug, you will not be draining anything. Just dont leave the charger in while the phone is on.
actually, your charger draws current if it's plugged in (without anything attached) a cell charger can drain a battery low enough that it won't start the vehicle; if you leave it overnight...
Old 06-21-08, 07:39 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by synstudios
actually, your charger draws current if it's plugged in (without anything attached) a cell charger can drain a battery low enough that it won't start the vehicle; if you leave it overnight...
Left unplug as in leaving nothing in the cigarette lighter.
Old 06-21-08, 08:20 AM
5sp_jzz30
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

a lot of american cars have constant lighter sockets. i personally dont like it. what you can do is go to the ignition harness in the car and find the constant wire and tap into that. the wires in there are about 10 gauge so the cell phone will not place any strain on it at all. tapping in the radio power is easy but the radio already draws 10 amps and the charger probably 1 or 2 amps. too much extra load for such a small wire. i have done it before and it wont damage anything but its just not the "proper" way to do it.

btw trackball

all that stuff they sell for boosting or charging the battery through the cigarette lighter is BS. when you jump a car or even charge the battery you have some serious size wires. at least 10 gauge. when you use the booster you are trying to run all that current through a 18/20 gauge wire. for current, like water flow, the bigger the pipe/wire the more it will flow through it.
Old 06-21-08, 11:46 AM
2.5tsoarer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Alot of domestics are like this and they don't have any problems. Just like radio staying on with key out till you open door.
The following users liked this post:
BPlove (01-11-20)
Old 06-21-08, 01:40 PM
trackball
Rookie

Originally Posted by 5sp_jzz30
all that stuff they sell for boosting or charging the battery through the cigarette lighter is BS. when you jump a car or even charge the battery you have some serious size wires. at least 10 gauge. when you use the booster you are trying to run all that current through a 18/20 gauge wire. for current, like water flow, the bigger the pipe/wire the more it will flow through it.
I don't think that means it is BS, I think it just means the charge will potentially take longer.

Quick Reply: Any easy way to make cigarette lighter always on?