SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

headlight moisture is killing me!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-08, 11:08 AM
ihiryu
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by raine
Don't think the "woman" would be too keen on seeing me jam a headlamp into the oven LOL

I think I'll try the zip-tie idea to get the halves to stay together better while the RTV dries.

Do you think the openings around the main bulb area could cause the problem? Also, is ther supposed to be a rubber cap behind the main bulb? I don't recall ever seeing one there on my car when since I bought it.
I tried to clean valve covers in a dishwasher once, I told my girlfriend at the time "This is either going to work, or you going to have a new dishwasher." It worked, but I ended up using the degreaser that I had bought for the valve covers lol
Old 06-24-08, 02:40 PM
raine
Lexus Test Driver

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

so I shouldn't worry about the air gaps around the back of the assembly, where the main headlight bulb is? I'm thinking maybe jamming some foam in there so it'll still let air move, but it will serve to trap any potential moisture from entering the headlamp
Old 06-24-08, 04:11 PM
mr2tosc4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Still surprised people know about that site, since I've been lagging with adding stuff to it =D
Uhh..it's on your sig sir...
Old 06-24-08, 04:13 PM
raine
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by mr2tosc4
Uhh..it's on your sig sir...
oh THAT LOL
Old 06-28-08, 01:16 PM
raine
Lexus Test Driver

ok it worked! I ended up doing the following:

1. Stuck two silica packets in the lamp, behind the chrome bezel. I didn't do this to always absorb moisture - just whatever moisture might be lingering around when I reassembled the lamps

2. Used some memory foam donuts and trimmed to fit behind the main headlight bulb opening. It's there not to seal the lamp, just to catch any moisture that might try to sneak in from behind.

3. Used memory foam scrap for the little air-filter looking vet tube at the bottom of the lamp as well.

One thing of note - using long 36" tie straps really helped, as they held the lamp halves together until the silicone was FULLY dry. I simply laid a microfiber towel over the lense to protect the surface, then strapped the lense down in 4 places (right after installing the lense itself).

Here's I made a new thread with pics, so that people (like me before) hunting for headlight mods can find it easier:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...47#post3639347

Thanks for everyone's suggestions in this thread =D
Old 06-28-08, 01:29 PM
lexdud
Pole Position

ok it worked! I ended up doing the following:

1. Stuck two silica packets in the lamp, behind the chrome bezel. I didn't do this to always absorb moisture - just whatever moisture might be lingering around when I reassembled the lamps

2. Used some memory foam donuts and trimmed to fit behind the main headlight bulb opening. It's there not to seal the lamp, just to catch any moisture that might try to sneak in from behind.

3. Used memory foam scrap for the little air-filter looking vet tube at the bottom of the lamp as well.

One thing of note - using long 36" tie straps really helped, as they held the lamp halves together until the silicone was FULLY dry. I simply laid a microfiber towel over the lense to protect the surface, then strapped the lense down in 4 places (right after installing the lense itself).

Here's I made a new thread with pics, so that people (like me before) hunting for headlight mods can find it easier:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...47#post3639347

Thanks for everyone's suggestions in this thread =D

I checked your other thread and your headlamps look great.

A word of warning though, while it may appear that you've solved your condensation problem .. you may be wrong. I tried two different methods and both appeared to work ... but they did not. It took days or a week to actually find out that they condensed again. The packets will definitely help but they can only absorb so much water.

Good luck ...
Old 06-28-08, 07:25 PM
raine
Lexus Test Driver

Hopefully it works, it's only been 4 days so I'll just have to give it time to see if everything is good - although I did wash the car today so it passed that test
Old 07-01-08, 11:35 AM
Tymboo
Rookie

I gave up on this headlight stuff. Now a days I just stuff a plastic bag, and a small towel in the corner of both lights every time I goto the car wash, or wash at home until done. Remove wipe off excess water, and I have no problems. If it rains I do the same thing, but it never rains around here so im cool.

P.S. I also try not to let too much water get in the water channels that funnels water directly onto the headlight when washing.
Old 07-01-08, 12:38 PM
raine
Lexus Test Driver

Update: no moisture at all on the left lamp, the right side gets a very very small cloud at the edge of the signal area. This weekend I'll check the seal, but it seems to cloud less and less each night (so maybe it just needs some time to evap)
Old 07-01-08, 01:02 PM
Dougspeed
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As a side job, I used to modify peoples headlamps. Mostly S2000's, though I've now done the retrofit on the SC, a WRX headlamp, and an Accords. I've never had a problem with condensation following the same process for all of them.

First, ALWAYS use the oven method. It's the only way you can really separate the lense from the housing without deforming it. When the two pieces are apart, do NOT under any circumstances remove the original glue/seal. Just clean it up by heating it up again and scraping away any foreign debris that stick to it. Also make sure that none of the rear vents are plugged and that the proper rubber hoses are still connected to it.
Once it's ready to go back together, warm up the housing again to soften up the glue and then use a liberal amount of black all temp/weather silicone over the old glue, then clamp the lense back to the housing. Some of the excess silicone will seep out and you can just smooth it out over the lense/housing intersection. Then apply another thin bead of silicone around the two halves and let it cure for a couple hours. That will work every time. I've driven my cars through car washes, heavy downpours, and no condensation occurs for me at all. Also make sure that you reapply the rubber seal that wraps around the top part of the lense to seal the gap between the hood and the headlamps.
Old 07-01-08, 01:57 PM
raine
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Dougspeed
First, ALWAYS use the oven method. It's the only way you can really separate the lense from the housing without deforming it.
Unless you don't care about the OEM ones.
Old 07-01-08, 02:00 PM
Dougspeed
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Unless you don't care about the OEM ones.
Well, not really regarding that, but just to get a good seal when you put it back together and to save alot of time. 5 mins in the oven vs. 30 mins to pry apart the headlamp using a heatgun. I've used both methods and there is no other way that will be as good and as quick.
Old 07-02-08, 11:55 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 359 Likes on 229 Posts

Silica works since that's it's job, but stock headlights don't need silica so there's a problem.

Most of the time it is people not replacing the air filters that come on the stock headlights, or losing the rubber snorkels. These are the only thing that filter condensation so if you don't have them, you will get condensation.

People think they didn't seal it up properly when the reality is that it likely IS sealed properly... that's what's trapping the condensation to begin with.... it's air tight!
Old 07-03-08, 05:37 AM
lexdud
Pole Position

Originally Posted by O. L. T.
Silica works since that's it's job, but stock headlights don't need silica so there's a problem.

Most of the time it is people not replacing the air filters that come on the stock headlights, or losing the rubber snorkels. These are the only thing that filter condensation so if you don't have them, you will get condensation.

People think they didn't seal it up properly when the reality is that it likely IS sealed properly... that's what's trapping the condensation to begin with.... it's air tight!

I agree. Many people whoe do this are so overly concerned with completely sealing their units that they forget (or ignore) the fact that these units MUST breathe. If you completely seal them they will condense.
Old 02-14-09, 05:52 PM
dumdumgreg
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by mr2tosc4
20 small holes in mine, not a drop of water nor any presence of moisture ever. 5 months now and counting.
any build up of dirt in there?