SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

You be the Judge.. (healight cleaning product)

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-08, 10:15 PM
scENFORCER
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default You be the Judge.. (healight cleaning product)

Fortunately my headlights don't leak, but they defiantly have yellowed..
So a couple months ago I bought some TurtleWax 'Heavy Duty Rubbing Compound' as I figured it would get the yellow out. But I ended up being stuck with the same yellow lights, it didn't work.
Today I went to Canadian Tire and saw BlueMagic 'Headlight Lens Restorer' which says on the bottle that its specifically designed to remove yellowing. So I decided to give it a shot cuz it was only $8.99.
Surprisingly the stuff worked great! My headlights looks much better than before, and I only applied it once! The bottle says it apply it a few times for best results, so I'm going to give it another shot tmrw and see what happens. But as it looks now I'm ecstatic! Defiantly saves me from calling Carson Toyota and buying new ones for $300 as I was planning on doing. I really recommend giving this stuff a shot if your having yellowing issues..
Anyways, heres the product, and I've included before and after pics of my headlights.
Attached Thumbnails You be the Judge..   (healight cleaning product)-img00402.jpg  
Old 06-24-08, 10:16 PM
scENFORCER
Lexus Champion

Sorry for the poor quality cellphone pics. If theres any noticable difference when I give them another rub tmrw I'll post good digi pics up...
Attached Thumbnails You be the Judge..   (healight cleaning product)-headlight-dirty-and-clean.jpg  
Old 06-24-08, 10:41 PM
jimmyXthai
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

looks the same
Old 06-24-08, 10:44 PM
TheMole
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Not bad, try meguiars plastx as well: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...ghlight=plastx

Best thing for the outside is to use an electric polisher and have a body shop clear coat it. For the inside, you will need to open it up.
Old 06-24-08, 10:46 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 350 Likes on 226 Posts

None of this will clean your projectors. Who cares if the lights look good, wax is for paint, paint is supposed to be pretty. Headlights are supposed to function and these 9,000 threads on how to make them pretty doesn't do a damn thing for the dirty projectors inside.

Do it right if you're gonna do it! It's like saying my engine runs like crap so I painted it red now it looks great.
Old 06-24-08, 11:00 PM
BLK13X
Mortgage Slave

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by O. L. T.
Do it right if you're gonna do it! It's like saying my engine runs like crap so I painted it red now it looks great.
Pepsi came out of my nose hahahhaha
Old 06-24-08, 11:12 PM
scENFORCER
Lexus Champion

None of this will clean your projectors. Who cares if the lights look good, wax is for paint, paint is supposed to be pretty. Headlights are supposed to function and these 9,000 threads on how to make them pretty doesn't do a damn thing for the dirty projectors inside.

My problem was never dirty projectors, they're actually surprisingly clean now that I can see them properly with all the yellowing gone. The issue I was worried about was the yellowing that I thought wasnt gonna come off, so I'm really happy with how "pretty" they look. Makes the car look a whole lot better..
Old 06-24-08, 11:21 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 350 Likes on 226 Posts

There is no chance they are clean if your headlights are old enough to yellow.
Old 06-24-08, 11:35 PM
scENFORCER
Lexus Champion

There is no chance they are clean if your headlights are old enough to yellow.
Even if theyre not, they look great. I dont really want to take a chance and take them apart in Vancouver's moist climate; anyone whose taken them apart here has a fishbowl for lights now. Obviously resealing them properly seems to be a source of problem for a lot of people and I dont doubt it'll be the same for me.
I'm just surprised at how well this $8.99 product worked at exactly what I wanted it to do, which was get rid of the yellow, and I decided to share my experience with you guys!
Old 06-24-08, 11:56 PM
scENFORCER
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by jimmyXthai
looks the same
Yeah sorry I didnt think the pics would turn out so bad, then it got too dark out to take them with a proper camera.
I'll shoot some more tmrw if you guys like.. but as I said before, the product works surprisingly well; so just picture 'yellow lights', then 'not yellow lights' haha.
Old 06-25-08, 06:58 AM
FormosaSC
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

nice! i had the same result with Plastix, that is a good product as well.
Old 06-25-08, 10:46 AM
SC_coupe
Racer

Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts

I got very good results from using 1000 grit wet sandpaper, then moving to 2000, then a buffing wheel with compound, then a polish, then a wax. They will come out looking like new.
Old 06-25-08, 10:53 AM
kyoso23
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I use an oil based chrome polish from Eagle-1. Works great, but I've got to do it like every 2 months.
Old 06-25-08, 01:32 PM
Belement
Driver

All the guy is doing is giving info about a inexpensive product to help with a flaw in our car, dont think this is any reason to bite his head off. Now if it was another PlastiX or sandpaper thing I could understand but I havent heard of this product yet and enjoy reading the review. Just my 2 cents
Old 06-25-08, 01:56 PM
sc3lovely
Driver

I have tried the product that scENFORCER used.
Really good, I did it 4 times, and lot of sweat and some electric buffer,
It's quite good. They are all the same with plasticX or maguire's, because I have them all,l and I used them all.
You need to do it more man, about 5 to ten times buffing, i dont think u buff enough-
Cheers-

Quick Reply: You be the Judge.. (healight cleaning product)