SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Has anyone had experience with RACEONUSA's knockoff kits?

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-08, 04:39 PM
Curry
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

To me, like he said, it doesn't make sense to buy a full out expensive kit. No matter how much money you have to throw at it. Especially where we live. The roads are not friendly at all. Now its simpler to just say "then don't buy a kit"

While they may be knock-offs and they may hurt the real companies. I think its a great thing. They may not fit great, but I've seen them take a beating.

I wouldn't want to spend 2-3k on a kit, only to drive and have it destroyed the first day.

Yea we drive carefully, but roads over here change everday all over the place.

My advice. Buy it and take it to a good body guy and see what they can do.
Old 07-08-08, 05:30 PM
toyofreak
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

FYI, even the Origin kit doesn't fit so well. I should not have to line up holes and fill certain parts of the kit. See my review and pics on the aero fitment guide.
Old 07-08-08, 05:52 PM
Curry
Lexus Champion

Yea my buddy's got the origin front. You've gotta ditch the bumper support to get it to fit. it feels pretty brittle too. he's getting rid of it.
Old 07-09-08, 01:41 PM
Curry
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by nobleblack
Honestly for me it wasn't so much the price that swayed me towards the knockoff it was the tude and bs I had to go through.

1. Length of time to get quotes was a biatch.

2. The way the companies were doing buisness was retarded. One company that I did most the work of the deal told me the kit would be ordered a day or two later and it should take whatever amount of months to get in. I get a msg 2wks later telling me he needs more info so he can order the kit.

3. I decided to go through a friend that deals with vertex. I've delt with my friend for years. Vertex were pretty much dicks, They wanted the whole amount upfront for the lip kit while I waited 3+ months for the kit. There was a bunch of other details but basically they said it doesn't matter what I think they're the ones with kit and if I don't get it someone else will.

So if i'm helping kill companies like this then i'm really really ok with that.

Raceonusa it was really easy to do buisness with. I just called up for the lip and they double checked to see if they have it in stock and they held it for me. For the rest of the kit they said give them a few days for the sideskirts, they even gave me a courtesy call when it was ready for pick up. They took half payment up front and the other half at pick up. Both times they hooked me up and even gave me hardware with the lip kit.

But yeah cali roads aren't the friendliest either.
I agree. Thats another hurdle for people. Having to deal with long waits. I even hear stories where they paid, waited and then told they couldnt get it.
Old 07-09-08, 02:58 PM
Kohinoor
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by nobleblack
3. I decided to go through a friend that deals with vertex. I've delt with my friend for years. Vertex were pretty much dicks, They wanted the whole amount upfront for the lip kit while I waited 3+ months for the kit. There was a bunch of other details but basically they said it doesn't matter what I think they're the ones with kit and if I don't get it someone else will.

So if i'm helping kill companies like this then i'm really really ok with that.
vertex, along with most japanese manufacturers, uses a 'just-in-time' inventory system. basically, your parts are specially made when they receive payment for said parts. the reason it takes a while is communication from your dealer to vertex usa, then vertex usa deals with vertex japan, then v-j makes your kit, ships it here, the kit gets stuck in customs, etc etc. its a frustrating wait, but understandable from the dealer perspective. most kits are not and will never be stocked, there just isnt enough demand to warrant it.

as far as giving them money up front.. i dont know any manufacturer that will take a deposit on a special order. say you dont want it any more.. yea they have your money, but the cost of having to store a big kit in japan (where land is extremely expensive) or even shipping it here and then storing it to be sold would easily be more than whatever % you gave them.

the reason raceonusa has everything stocked is because they manufacture everything at a very low cost and can hold a lot of mass produced kits in their giant warehouse.

i cant speak for everyone, but i think its terrible that youre ok with hurting aftermarket companies. without them, knockoff companies like raceon wouldnt even exist. im not knocking you for getting a knockoff kit, because in the end you have to be happy with what you bought. im just trying to give you a different perspective on what you and i both find a bit frustrating.
Old 07-09-08, 04:26 PM
Kohinoor
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

wrd, customer service is everything nowadays.