SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

RIP to my car

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-08, 10:28 AM
southernsc
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RIP to my car

Well the car now has more problems than I am willing to fix, and with gas going up I don't like paying premium for 20 gallons. I can barely get $2k for trade in on the car, i doubt I can sell it for much more my self.
But thanks to the Texas accelerated vehicle-retirement program the gov gives me $3k for the car and sends her off to the crusher, such a horrible way to end a beautiful car.

She use to look so pretty, now the paint is fading on the top and on the spoiler, the finish on the wheels have gone away and they are disgusting looking, the interior is falling apart, the fog lights are yellow and full of water, the headlights trap water, the windshield leaks, the ABS is going out, what a shame I couldn't keep up with all the problems.

Well since the government is going to crush it I will see how much I can take away from the car, so hopefully within a month I will post in the sale forums of all the stuff I could take out. Most likely the borla mufflers and full spare, I will keep the audio stuff my self with the exception of the custom insert stuff.
Old 07-10-08, 10:30 AM
OneJay
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Sad day, but at least you got more than you would have elsewhere. Try to get the taillights and spoiler too. You can probably sell those pretty easily on here.
Old 07-10-08, 10:32 AM
sc250tt
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry about your sc bro .What was wrong with it? from what you said it sounds like it use to run .really sad to see a sc like that get crushed for no major reasons .At least your 3000 richer .
Old 07-10-08, 10:36 AM
JspecSC3
Lexus Champion

Sorry to hear about all the problems. I would post her up for sale first. If you cant get at least $3000 off of it then I'd probably consider option #2. If I had a couple thousand to spare I'd pick her up from you have her as a track car.
Old 07-10-08, 10:38 AM
southernsc
Lexus Champion

The engine runs strong but at 140k miles (which is low for the SC) it doesn't look to appealing to buy, one dealership only offer 1.5k for it. The interior squeaks real bad and the carpet has some bad stains.
I took really good care of it when I had a garage, but now that it has to sit out in the open at my apartment where the weather has not been favorable to it. Almost the whole roof has lost the clear coat and there are certain spots on the hood where it's starting to go. The tread on the tires are gone so I really don't want to dish out more money if I can get 3k for it. And just a few days ago the radiator reservoir cracked and scared the hell out of me. That was a cheap and easy fix but it just added to the notion that I don't want to wait around for the next problem.
Old 07-10-08, 11:18 AM
mr2tosc4
Lexus Test Driver

All the problems you mentioned are easily fixable. when i got my sc i had almost all the problems you mentioned: water in the headlamps (mine just needed a goldfish to complete the aquarium look), clear peeling from doors, front bumper, seats stuck, trunk struts broken, coffee stains all over the carpet, creaking suspension, trunk L badge missing half of it, worn tires, burned out lcds..list goes on and on. I sucked it up and took it one day at a time. I'm about halfway now after 11 months and all it takes is a lot of patience, time and money (or lots of money). To come up with all three you need the main ingredient: SC LOVE. If that's gone, then take the $3k and move on with another car.
Old 07-10-08, 11:50 AM
roy1928
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by mr2tosc4
All the problems you mentioned are easily fixable. when i got my sc i had almost all the problems you mentioned: water in the headlamps (mine just needed a goldfish to complete the aquarium look), clear peeling from doors, front bumper, seats stuck, trunk struts broken, coffee stains all over the carpet, creaking suspension, trunk L badge missing half of it, worn tires, burned out lcds..list goes on and on. I sucked it up and took it one day at a time. I'm about halfway now after 11 months and all it takes is a lot of patience, time and money (or lots of money). To come up with all three you need the main ingredient: SC LOVE. If that's gone, then take the $3k and move on with another car.
i agree, there are some days when i'm simply just fed the f*** up with my car, but then i just remember why i had chosen this car as my first car and the potential it has and i just fall in love with her all over again. i just take it one day at a time and take advantage of the connections that i have
Old 07-10-08, 12:12 PM
KoSC300
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

+1.... tlc bradda!

However, if you go the other route, i'll take the borla's!! lol.
Old 07-10-08, 12:16 PM
rwdanthony
Lexus Champion

so sad... i hope things will get better then this and eventually youll get back more then she was worth. but right now that seems hard
Old 07-10-08, 12:17 PM
rykwebb
Lexus Test Driver

sorry for the loss, apparently its hitting you to have to sell the SC. Look at it this way, at least you tried. Im sure in a different setting that SC would have been great but he dice didn't roll her way.

****** and grab all the stuff you can off of it, I've even seen that ebrake handle go for 25 bucks on ebay. You can appreciate the fish until you get hungry, so gut her and get what you can out of it, then get a brand new Lexus IS-F and talk about 'the good ole days.'
Old 07-10-08, 12:36 PM
breakb
Lead Lap

u should put it up for sale. maybe someone will pick it up and restore it!

Peace out
Old 07-10-08, 01:02 PM
_XpLiCiT_
Lead Lap

Wow that sucks big time bro. Well 3k is better than nothing. Maybe in the future you'll get another SC =)
Old 07-10-08, 01:19 PM
setsuna57
Driver School Candidate

I would so buy your sc if I didnt owe 5500 still on the basket case i have.....the problems you have are things I would rather fix than whats wrong with my sc.....the offer for my sc was 500 bucks....oh well I knew what I was getting into when I bought it(project car from hell) best of luck i hope you dont send it off to be crushed ....
Old 07-10-08, 02:42 PM
dwebb99
Lexus Test Driver

Hey, I live in Texas (Houston). Please tell me/us more about the Texas accelerated-retirement(car) program and how you can get 3 grand from the state gov for the car? Man, how's that work....? More info pleeeease...
Old 07-10-08, 03:19 PM
status....
Lead Lap

i know where your coming from having a nice car and watch it slowly degrade. makes you loose your drive which is sad to see.

i'd try to sell the car first and give it a second chance, theres probably someone out there that cant buy a nice one for alot but would be willing to pick up yours. i know i would if i were local. best of luck

Quick Reply: RIP to my car