SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Clarification in threads

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-08, 12:13 PM
sc1jzgte
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clarification in threads

I have done many mods to my car all my own work and play, but with the knowledge and support of club lexus (and supraforums). This site is truly a blessing in that I am able to have such a bada** ride for so little money because of the wealth of knowledge here.....

But I felt the urge to start this thread and hopefully this can spread like mad cow disease in the forums... everyone that notices someones post please reply to them to clarify in this manner to bring this forum to an even higher standard.

Example statement...
The w58 shifter will not work, i had one and tried. You need a r154 shifter.

This should be restated as:
I had a 96' SC300 W58 manual and the shifter did not work. But i then used a 89' supra r154 shifter and it fit, but it angled toward driverside a little bit.

So someone like me with a 92 w58 shifter that works perfect will read that thread and buy and r154 shifter only to find the one he had was better! I did not buy this because luckily someone else was a victim first, but i have been deceived in this many a time and read many false statements that include "need / only/ etc" but they generalize a part.

Year is extremely important to specify, and the motor and tranny type are as well. If you are not in depth in modding your car you may think i am just ranting and raving, but honestly this post is strictly for the good of the forum community. I believe if you went back and added this simple note to every claim in this thread, every job would be so much smoother.. I can name about 5 examples off my head in which year/auto or tranny/ motor type change the way something else is compatible, something you wouldn't think would need to be different but Toyota happen to change.

Also if you are restating something you heard/read (not experienced), simply just state that, even better if you state your source. I will not risk 1-2k job on something you read, but I will be glad to use that to be pointed in the right direction, so dont hold back your knowledge, just let us know if you confirmed. Also thoughts are great too, just clarify it is what you think, and even better if you explain why you think that.

Another suggestion if this already isnt in the newbie faq (been years since i read that) This should be emphasized, but maybe worded better.

Again, this is not some bitter thread, its just an idea i had that may help start something, please keep this alive, not this thread, but this style nature of threading... for the future of high HP, bada*s modifications, and the sweet rides that are produced from this forum...
Old 07-10-08, 01:02 PM
OneJay
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Good idea. Especially in writing, lots of things can become really vague.