SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

'95 seatbelt compatibility with a '97

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-08, 09:59 AM
GoCarSc300
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default '95 seatbelt compatibility with a '97

I have a '97 SC300 and I recently had my whole interior swapped out from the stock '97 tan to a full '95 black. Everything went smoothly except the installer said the front seatbelt wouldn't work becasue the pretensioner used to alert the airbag (if I remember correctly) is different between those years. He said if they swapped them the airbag light would be on. Is any or all of this correct? Has anyone else done a pre '97 interior (more specifically, the front seatbelt) swap into a '97+? Let me know. Thanks in advance!
Old 07-11-08, 12:04 PM
ScottURnot
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

That is true. What I did, and BTW this is tricky. I took the belting off the older belts and put it on the 97's to make mine black. Fun to do, not!
To start with you need to get the 95 and 97 laid out the same. Take note, prior to removal of the 97 belts from the car make sure you flip the yellow lever, this is important so I'm told. Take the belt off the 95 first. When unbolted from the car you have to hold the belt in the exact orientation it is in the car, otherwise the belt will not unwind. Unwind it all the way out. You should find a plastic part that slides out sideways; this is what holds the belt on the spool.

Pay close attention to the belt when you take it off in respect to the spool. You have to put it back on the exact same way or you will get twist in it. I laid it on the bench exactly how it came off. Now you have a choice, let the spool go or have someone hold it, personally since you are not using the 95 belt I just let it go.

Next repeat the same belt removal on the 97. Difference this time is you CAN”T let the spool go, if you do, all bets are off! This is a pain, you really need 3 hands but I did it so you can too. Feed the 95 belt in the 97 roller exactly how the belt came out, you may need a small pick or screwdriver to get it to stuff in the slot, then you can slide the plastic retainer in from the side. Now release the belt it should rewind and you are ready to go! Repeat for the other side!

Other options include
Leave the belts plugged in and put them in the rear quarters wrapped in foam and install the 95’s.
Or get the 97’s, Really hard to find them that the charges have not been triggered from a wreck. If the air bags are blown so are the belts, easy to identify because once the belt blows it is locked up.

Hope this helps!