SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

help! keys locked in trunk

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-08, 11:58 AM
andi666
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help! keys locked in trunk

I am a space shot! I locked the keys in my trunk. ( SC400 1992) Called hubby to come and save me with the valet key. In the mean time I broke in to the car by unlocking the door from the open sun roof, set off the alarm and hit the locking button next to the trunk and gas cap switches. The Valet key wont open the trunk nor will it unlock the lock button. The call to the dealer was no help. Any ideas! I can drive the care using the valet key but cant get into the trunk.
Old 07-13-08, 12:11 PM
Damned04
Driver

Originally Posted by andi666
I am a space shot! I locked the keys in my trunk. ( SC400 1992) Called hubby to come and save me with the valet key. In the mean time I broke in to the car by unlocking the door from the open sun roof, set off the alarm and hit the locking button next to the trunk and gas cap switches. The Valet key wont open the trunk nor will it unlock the lock button. The call to the dealer was no help. Any ideas! I can drive the care using the valet key but cant get into the trunk.
If you're really desperate. Take out the rear seat cushion (pull up hard). Remove the three bolts that hold the back rest and push it up to the sky firmly. After you have the entire back seat out remove the rear deck and take out the subwoofer.After you unbolt your sub, push the panel in front of the gastank out. You should have enough room to hook a clothes hanger around your keys through the subwoofer hole.
Old 07-13-08, 12:24 PM
JspecSC3
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You're lucky you have the valet key. You can either take it to the dealer or call lots of local locksmiths in your area that can make a laser cut key. The valet key has almost the exact same cuts minus one. The locksmith would be able to tell right off the bat where the missing cut is and set you up with a new key.

This happened to me one time. The dealer asked for proof of ownership which was of course locked safely in the glove box. So I went to a locksmith that did laser cuts for Lexus and only charged me $50 for a new one without a remote.
Old 07-13-08, 12:27 PM
32SC
Pit Crew

I actually got into mine without a key, but it requires a bit of work. PM me if you want the details
Old 07-13-08, 12:28 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 350 Likes on 226 Posts

You could actually try searching. Seems someone does this and posts a thread about it once every month or so.

How people do this I do not know...........
Old 07-13-08, 12:43 PM
Tri0 #3
Rookie

do you have the flat key? Its still a master key. You know the one that fits in your wallet. Im not too sure if alot of people still have them when you bought the cars. Mine did.
Old 07-13-08, 01:31 PM
tritron
Lead Lap

You just need to unplug wire at trunk switch. Now You need to use long pice of wire and ground one end and touch wire in the unploged connector and the trunk will be unlocked.
Old 07-13-08, 06:08 PM
henry1
Lead Lap

you can take apart the lower dash section and unlock the key mechanism from the back.
Old 07-13-08, 09:57 PM
rwdanthony
Lexus Champion

lol this actually happened to me yesturday i just unplugged the siren infront of the radiator from underneath and then i unlocked the doors with the crack in the window, unlocked the door/opened it, took off the battery, and then went through the sub
Old 07-13-08, 10:04 PM
LEXpert
Pole Position

remove the driver side kick panel, and jump the wire there.
you'll need the pin out for the plug, but it's easier than taking apart the lower dash to get at the lock/switch piece.

either that or get a key cut

a lot less risk of breaking or damaging something while going through the sub, and a lot less work.
Old 07-14-08, 05:07 AM
andi666
Driver School Candidate

Default Thanks

Thanks guys, you all have been a great help. Looks like i'll take the car to the dealer. It is drivable with the valet key, it's a bummer that I locked my business supplies in the trunk.

I must admit this is the first post I have made on this forum but, I have check it out many times. The SC400 is an awsome car! WE bought it used 7 years ago and drive it daily. It is now time for a few updates and new paint. I be on the site doing research! Thanks again
Old 07-17-08, 06:01 PM
andi666
Driver School Candidate

Thumbs up Got the keys out today

Ok ,I took it to the dealer. They had the keys back to me in an hour and a half. Had a lovely light breatkfast in the cooshy coffee bar/waiting area. They only took me for 125.00... not bad, plus they washed and vaccumed the beast. Yea, I took the easy way out.
I wont lock the keys in the trunk again! Thanks again for all your help, this website is now on my faves list.
I am inspired to do a little pimping of my ride!
Old 07-17-08, 06:21 PM
JspecSC3
Lexus Champion

Im glad we were able to be of some help to you. There is plenty more information where that came from. Happy modding!
Old 07-17-08, 07:10 PM
LEXpert
Pole Position

buy another master key!

Luckily my SC came with 3, so one spare at home, another spare at work, and the 3rd I use.
Old 07-17-08, 08:21 PM
shlounek
Lead Lap

It has happenned to me before, I used the take out the sub technique, put a hanger in there with a magnet got the key out. Or pay the dealer that is another way. lool

Quick Reply: help! keys locked in trunk