SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

97 Conversion - not worth it anymore?

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-08, 07:53 AM
mr2tosc4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 97 Conversion - not worth it anymore?

If you have a 92-96 SC like me, I think conversion is not so worth it anymore in MOST cases. First, 97 and up SC's have become cheaper lately, if you add up all the parts you have to get to convert and factor in the shipping and cost to paint and install, it comes out to just a little too much than just buying a 97 and up SC. I know because I have all the parts in my basement ready to get slapped on the car. As I was doing the math and seeing how much 97+ SCs are going for these days, it made me realize I'm better off selling my 93 and just buying a 97. Am I the only one thinking about this or are there others thinking the same way? Take note i didn't say it's not worth it in EVERY case (92-96 5-spds with gte in them already are of course out of the equation, turboed 400s, etc...) I'm saying for cases of a recently bought stock 92-96 non-5spd thinking of going 97+ conversion route. Surely I'm still putting on the parts I collected for the conversion because I have it already but this puts it out there for those who do not have an SC yet and are thinking of buying a 92-96 and then going for the conversion later on. anyone agree with some of what i said?
Old 07-17-08, 07:59 AM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 351 Likes on 227 Posts

totally worth it.

Did my conversion at the height of it's price point years ago, todays prices on the 97 conversion are a steal.
Old 07-17-08, 08:05 AM
ucfa4
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default no

Not worth if you want to roll manual.
Old 07-17-08, 08:07 AM
mr2tosc4
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by O. L. T.
totally worth it.

Did my conversion at the height of it's price point years ago, todays prices on the 97 conversion are a steal.
Conversion parts are a steal nowadays, I have to agree, but that comes with the result of 97+ SCs becoming cheaper too. It's all become relative to the economy and how prices and depreciation have come over the later models that makes the equation equal.
Old 07-17-08, 08:38 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

if you have an automatic and no mods, then maybe.
the 97 would have to actually be in better condition otherwise who cares really.

plus when yours is done you will have fresh paint.

i don't even think i would sell my 95 5spd to buy a 97 5spd.
I have become too atatched. anyone who goes near the title will perish
Old 07-17-08, 08:42 AM
818sc400
Lead Lap

not worth it. thats why i jus bought the pre 97 lip.

Last edited by 818sc400; 07-17-08 at 08:46 AM.
Old 07-17-08, 12:12 PM
Brendon
Pole Position

Prices have come down, but its still kind of hard to find a late model, at least in my area. Probably less than 5% of all 1st gen SCs for sale here in New England are 97-00. About the only regret I had when buying my car was that it wasn't a 98 SC400 with the more powerful, more fuel efficient V8, as well as the gated shifter and 5spd.
Old 07-17-08, 12:27 PM
suislide
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i think the zenki with aftermarket looks way better than the kouki.
Old 07-17-08, 12:39 PM
tcrow31
Pole Position

If your lucky like my friend then its super cheap to get the conversion. Friend went to Mississippi and his ECU went out. He got one from the pick apart place for 25 bucks. Then he just happens to notice a 97 SC that had been a flood car from Katrina so no body damage. He picks up the front bumper for 35 bucks both side skirts for 20 and the rear bumper for 35 with the quarter panel side skirts. Lucky bastard...wish I could find a deal like that.
Old 07-17-08, 12:56 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 351 Likes on 227 Posts

Originally Posted by mr2tosc4
Conversion parts are a steal nowadays, I have to agree, but that comes with the result of 97+ SCs becoming cheaper too. It's all become relative to the economy and how prices and depreciation have come over the later models that makes the equation equal.
Your prices are based on the 97 which is identical to a 96 except a body change and a stray cathode inserted somewhere. The real changes did not come until 1998 which is also when the production line damn near came to a screeching halt in comparison to the other production years.

While your theory would hold water if they had continued to knock 20,000 SC's a year out, they did not. You are still not going to find a 98+ SC "all over the place" nor for "a cheap price" in any reasonably good condition.

The 97 Sc is practically worthless to me since it has no major changes that cannot be done easily with a simple swap of some cosmetics. 97 was the year of the polished turd.

Show me a gated shifter, show me VVTI with nice boosts in HP, show me REAL interior changes where these cars are in any bulk like the early models. There's more 92 SC's for sale right now between here, ebay and LOC than there were 99-00 Sc's ever BUILT. ........and that is why your math does not work.
Old 07-17-08, 01:56 PM
SClean4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

97+ body is a clean, subtle upgrade and would be pretty worth it but a bit too much money for me right now after parts and paint, especially while I have other mods I'd like to do. Maybe if I get my car painted it would be a good time to do that but for now I have to pass.
Old 07-17-08, 02:17 PM
markesc
Lead Lap

I'm in the same boat with my '95...have all the parts sitting in my spare bedroom collecting dust. I have 108k miles on mine, I've put new headlights, foglights, tail lights, tt seats, tt brakes, oem rear wing, megan coilovers, clear corners, and counless $ in labor invested in the the new lower contol amrs, daizen camber kit front and rear, new radiator, new egr valve, new door wire harness.... so I'm just too far into it... plus the car is nearly paid off...

I can relate, at first glance it may seem cheaper, but I'm too far into this car...all that is left is motor and five speed swap and leather install (already purchased), and already purchased tsx retro fit goods as well.....

I just try to take two steps back and think of the car as a long-term project.
Old 07-17-08, 02:23 PM
<>sonmylex
Pole Position

Originally Posted by SClean4
97+ body is a clean, subtle upgrade and would be pretty worth it but a bit too much money for me right now after parts and paint, especially while I have other mods I'd like to do. Maybe if I get my car painted it would be a good time to do that but for now I have to pass.

i completely agree with you.. the only reason i have an excuse to do it is because some lady hit me and im just gonna get the 97+ bumper cuz i can.
Old 07-17-08, 02:25 PM
<>sonmylex
Pole Position

Originally Posted by markesc
I'm in the same boat with my '95...have all the parts sitting in my spare bedroom collecting dust. I have 108k miles on mine, I've put new headlights, foglights, tail lights, tt seats, tt brakes, oem rear wing, megan coilovers, clear corners, and counless $ in labor invested in the the new lower contol amrs, daizen camber kit front and rear, new radiator, new egr valve, new door wire harness.... so I'm just too far into it... plus the car is nearly paid off...

I can relate, at first glance it may seem cheaper, but I'm too far into this car...all that is left is motor and five speed swap and leather install (already purchased), and already purchased tsx retro fit goods as well.....

I just try to take two steps back and think of the car as a long-term project.
wow.. good luck with all your work ur car sounds like its coming along very nicely!
Old 07-17-08, 02:29 PM
ryanSC300lover
Lead Lap

Received 86 Likes on 66 Posts

Love my 92, but 97+ is totally worth it. The subtle changes, gated shifter and few other things. LOVE my 98 SC.

Quick Reply: 97 Conversion - not worth it anymore?