HELP! - what happend to my SC?

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-08, 08:09 PM
surfsunset
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP! - what happend to my SC?

Hello my SC brothers & sisters -

I have a very well maintained 99 300 SC - I recently had the starter fixed and new battery installed 9 month ago. The only thing is - my SC doesn't get much use (i recently got a motorcycle).

The last time i fired her up as about 3 weeks ago for a minute (didn't go anywhere, just started). Before that maybe a month before i used her.

I noticed today that ALL POWER is out. my remote key fob won't work, the power seats don't move..

Is this the battery, even though it's practically new? what could this be?

thanks all to the best forums members around.
Old 07-23-08, 08:39 PM
tuterz
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

even with a new battery.. you havent started it up in a long time.. the battery is drained.. get some jumper cables start it up.. and let it sit longer than a minute this time.. should be okie.. i think..
Old 07-23-08, 08:42 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 350 Likes on 226 Posts

If you would read your user manual it clearly says if you are parking the Sc for more than a few days you must turn off the remote key switch and automatic headlights to avoid battery drain. I'm gambling 10 to 1 that at least one of the two are on as you write this thread.
Old 07-23-08, 08:57 PM
surfsunset
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the replies.

I did have my autolights one. how do i turn off the key fob?

thanks.
Old 07-23-08, 10:46 PM
1985zcar
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd recommend that if you allow your car to sit for long periods of time, disconnect the battery so it doesn't drain...I'd say try charging the batter for a while, or jump it and drive it around for a good amount of time, and next time you park it, disconnect the battery so it doesn't get drained.
Old 07-23-08, 10:54 PM
818sc400
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by O. L. T.
If you would read your user manual it clearly says if you are parking the Sc for more than a few days you must turn off the remote key switch and automatic headlights to avoid battery drain. I'm gambling 10 to 1 that at least one of the two are on as you write this thread.
i always leave my auto headlights on. is this bad for the battery???
sorry for thread jack
Old 07-23-08, 11:52 PM
cbrasian
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

no its not bad to leave it on, just know that it is a parasidic draw on the battery so in time it will drain the battery. Battery drain could be caused by those or a car alarm thats constantly draining the battery slowly but you never noticed. And if it is dead you can always take the battery out or disconnect the beg terminal then positive and charge it or just charge it with the ground wire off when the battery is dead however you don't want to do this on a constant basis

Trending Topics

Old 07-24-08, 12:01 PM
T0ked
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you don't use the car for long periods of time (a month) turn off the keyless entry and auto lights. If this is a regular thing, I would get quick release battery terminals and battery charge indicator. This way, you can eyeball the battery and know to charge it before you need/want to drive the car. The equipment will cost a bit, but less than a new battery.
Old 07-24-08, 12:17 PM
markesc
Lead Lap

I've had the same issue on mine since I purchased a second vehicle for DD. My solution is to either disconnect the battery cable as noted above, and I bought one of those cheap battery starter devices you simply attach, faster and more convenient than jumper cables. I just keep it in the car for peace of mind
Old 07-25-08, 03:35 AM
cbrasian
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by T0ked
If you don't use the car for long periods of time (a month) turn off the keyless entry and auto lights. If this is a regular thing, I would get quick release battery terminals and battery charge indicator. This way, you can eyeball the battery and know to charge it before you need/want to drive the car. The equipment will cost a bit, but less than a new battery.
why would you need quick release you just need a 10mm wrench, a battery charge indicator??? why waste money you can buy a multimeter which you can use to test the battery and also use it to check other things too like your injectors etc
Old 07-25-08, 05:39 AM
redsc400
Pole Position

Originally Posted by surfsunset
Thanks for the replies.

I did have my autolights one. how do i turn off the key fob?

thanks.
little switch near the trunk and fuel tank release switch that has a picture of a key on it.
Old 07-25-08, 07:31 AM
T0ked
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by cbrasian
why would you need quick release you just need a 10mm wrench, a battery charge indicator??? why waste money you can buy a multimeter which you can use to test the battery and also use it to check other things too like your injectors etc
Uh, so you don't have to carry around a 10mm wrench or a multimeter.
Old 07-25-08, 08:15 AM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 350 Likes on 226 Posts

rofl................... I know I always keep a crescent wrench in my wallet right beside the mig welder. You don't ?!?!?
Old 07-25-08, 10:48 AM
UpperCase
Driver

If its gona sit unused on a regular basis look at getting a regulating charger. I got one for my bimmer after I got my lexus. It puts in enough voltage to keep the battery full and when the battery is fully charged it automaticly turns off so it doesnt over charge it and then end up damaging it like some trickle chargers.

look at this for help
http://www.batterystuff.com/battery-chargers/

Last edited by UpperCase; 07-25-08 at 10:55 AM.
Old 07-25-08, 12:37 PM
cbrasian
Lead Lap

if your cars gonna sit there at storage anyways so shouldn't your tools should be near it?? also wrenches and a meter are a big must if somthing happens after all you don't wanna be stuck on the side of a road at 3 a.m waiting for a tow truck when ya could of fixed it yourself.. ya know the cya motto???

Quick Reply: HELP! - what happend to my SC?