SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

New to the forum.......

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-08, 08:26 PM
racersky
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to the forum.......

Hi, my name is Jerry and I'm new to the forum and also Lexus in general. I work at a lexus dealership detailing and had actually stumble across an SC300 as a trade from an owner who just purchased an ISF. The dealership did a check on the car and it shows that everything maintenance wise is up to par and the transmission was replace a few months ago. My question to you guys is should I buy it or not. The car is a 1992 SC300 5spd that has no rust or dents but a little ding here and there. The paint is almost flawless except for the front bumper having a little rock chips here and there. The only problem i'm really worried about is the mileage as it has close to 205k miles on the odometer. So I hope to hear from you guys soon thanks for your time.

edit: i forgot the price that the car might be going for is around 4k.
Old 08-05-08, 08:44 PM
msc300
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

buy it swap it out
Old 08-05-08, 08:48 PM
OneJay
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

^+1. If it just had the transmission replaced, just swap a 1j in there with the w58. Then when that blows, get the r154.
Old 08-05-08, 08:58 PM
racersky
Pole Position

sorry to be a newbie but I got to start somewhere.....I have no idea what you just said about swapping in a 1j w/ the w58 and if that goes replace it with a r154.
Old 08-05-08, 09:08 PM
SCjzz
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the 1jz is a japanese engine. its from a toyota soarer (the lexus sc300 of japan) it is a 2.5l straight six powerhouse. the closest thing to a 2jz (toyota supra engine but twin turbo) youre going to get cheaply. the 1jz is almost a direct bolt in for the sc300 since the toyota soarer it is found in is the same thing here basically. you just need to stretch the wiring harness for left hand drive.

if ur in the automotive industry, you've heard of engine swaps. for an engine swap you need the engine, tranny you want to use, wiring harness, etc. do a simple search to find what you need.

the w58 is the transmission the sc300 has when it is 5 speed. the r154 transmission is the transmission used on said 1jz.

what we want you to do is: buy the sc300 for like 3,500 because of the mileage. when you get it, make sure you check for rust or rut UNDER the car. when you have enough money, buy a 1jz toyota soarer engine swap (or even a toyota soarer front clip, literally the front half of the car.) and swap the engine into your sc300. since its 5 speed. you might as well use the w58 in your car for the engine swap. when (and if) it breaks, swap in the r154 transmission.

i hope this helped. ill be glad to answer any more noob questions you got
Old 08-05-08, 09:16 PM
Carfreak70
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I wouldnt do it...personally...I got my car for 1,400 granted I had to put a new motor in it...but that was a wopping 500 bucks...so 2,000 in total and a new motor with less miles. So, do what you want...but ive got the same thing and paid half. 1992 5 speed flawless green with chipped back bumper
Old 08-06-08, 07:54 AM
FormosaSC
Lexus Champion

i would get it, its hard to find a 5-speed sc these days and it sounds like you have a pretty good conditon sc on your hand. The mileage isnt a big issue unless there is something wrong with the engine, i say do a compression test and find out if the engine is healthy, if it is i say dont worry about it, the engine will run for a long time.
Old 08-06-08, 09:49 AM
Peter_95
Lexus Champion

getting a 5spd is hard as it is and im sure you can get a better price than 4k.
If he trades in the sc, he's going to get much less than that.
Since the condition on it seems pretty good, i would get it, and 205k is still good as long as he had all maintenance done properly it will still last long enough for you to get to know about engine swaps and such.
Once the engine goes bad, swap it out...
Old 08-06-08, 10:23 AM
racersky
Pole Position

well there's nothing I can do he already trade the car to begin with. I finish detailing a car and as I was bringing the car up to the entrance I saw the sc300 in the sold line we have. I then went in to ask is that for sale and the GM said the guy who just bought the ISF trade that in. Plus I'm afraid that the price will go on slightly because the dealership is going to do that 100 point something safety inspection.
Old 08-06-08, 01:37 PM
CLass of 1
Advanced

Received 295 Likes on 190 Posts

Originally Posted by racersky
well there's nothing I can do he already trade the car to begin with. I finish detailing a car and as I was bringing the car up to the entrance I saw the sc300 in the sold line we have. I then went in to ask is that for sale and the GM said the guy who just bought the ISF trade that in. Plus I'm afraid that the price will go on slightly because the dealership is going to do that 100 point something safety inspection.
A car that old, with that many miles isn't going anywhere but to the auction. A Lexus dealer won't hold on to a 16 year old car with 205k miles. They don't want that old car on their lot, sitting next to cars from this millennium. So, talk to the used car manager and tell him you'll take it off his hands. See what price he tells you and go from there. My father has been in the car business for over 25 years as a Sales Manager/GSM and I worked with him for about a year. That's how it works, go talk to him now, if you're serious about this car.
Old 08-06-08, 01:59 PM
rpx13
Lead Lap

^^^...what he said
Old 08-06-08, 02:35 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light
Forum Moderator

Received 360 Likes on 230 Posts

Quit telling everyone that wants to buy a car to swap this and swap that, some people actually like SC's. This "swap every damn car" crap is getting old.

205k on an Sc is childs play, all you need is to make sure all the rubber and wear parts have been swapped on the chassis, and you say it has been maintained so I say go for it. If it's been maintained as you say it's going to be a good car.

.....and no you don't have to buy a car just to swap an engine and transmission and go drifting down the damn street with your JP air freshener on the dash beside your VIP sticker on the window being a cool *** JDM Tyte upscale ricer. Getting frikken rediculous................. every single person that asks about buying an SC "swap the motor and turn into a drifter TyTe SoN Yo!!!!

If you like it, that's perfectly cool, and if he does that's cool too....... but this damn swap and drift mentality on EVERY SINGLE new member is B.S.. This place is not a cliche and its not going to become one. CL is for everyone and their style and there's a little too much rice floating around these days IMO.

Believe it or not there are people who still buy these and drive them.

.........now if you'll excuse me, I'm going drifting.
Old 08-06-08, 06:03 PM
ihiryu
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

my sc400 is at 228,xxx and still runs like a champ. What part of texas are you? I think you should get it cause 4k for a five speed? I would do it!
Old 08-06-08, 06:45 PM
CLass of 1
Advanced

Received 295 Likes on 190 Posts

I think the majority of people who are buying SC's these days are younger. I'm not saying SC owners are younger, new SC owners, who have recently bought or plan on buying an SC are typically younger. Assuming that to be true most young guys (I know there are a number of women on the board, however it's predominately men) buy this car with intentions of trying to make it faster. The logical choice is FI, whether it be via NA-T, 2JZ-GTE, or 1JZ-GTE. So, I think it's to be expected that if an interested party is looking to get an SC that most would assume that he/she wants to go that route.

I think it's fair to say that most everyone on these boards, who has an SC300 would love to have a 2JZ-GTE. The personal horsepower goals will vary and differ from each individual. My goal is 650 RWHP, while CleanSC for example is very happy with the ~400 RWHP he's putting down with his car. But why wouldn't you want the best possible engine for a particular chassis?

I'm certain a large number of board members love their SC's just the way god made them. But there are just as many...if not more, that dream about doing a 2JZ-GTE swap. Myself included.

As the pricing of these wonderful cars continues to drop, more and more young people will be able to afford them. That's the reality of most every high performance car or luxury sedan. As the price drops, so does the average ownership age. And with that younger age, comes the lust for power. Get used to it my friend, I have a distinct feeling this won't be the last new board member that wants a 2JZ swap, or is being swayed to do so.
Old 08-06-08, 07:49 PM
racersky
Pole Position

blah.....the dealership jack the price up to 6k for customers.....tomorrow I get to sit down and find out what employee price it will be.

Quick Reply: New to the forum.......