SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

So I noobed it today...

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-08, 11:52 PM
1985zcar
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default So I noobed it today...

Just another one of those wiring harness horror stories. So my car's pretty low, and I've been running my friend's wheels for a week or so now, knowing they were rubbing but didn't think much of it at first.

So Saturday, I was on a twisty backroad having a little bit of fun, and then all the sudden my windshield squirters came on and wouldn't turn off, lol, pretty bad cuz the windows and sunroof were open...

So I pull over, mess around with the wires a bit, and get them to turn off, and took the road slow the rest of the way...Then driving home from Formula D, my taillights stop working all together, so I was almost home and a State Patrol pulled me over. I explained the situation and he let me know, just said to leave my hazards on til I get home...

Then, worst thing happens today...I'm getting on the freeway, and all the sudden my car just completely dies. I'm like what the fawk. So I get out of my car, and yeah by this time my harness is looking pretty haggard. I try to jiggle the wires around a bit again to no avail. So I jack up the car, remove the wheel, and start taping off every single wire, none were broken, but many exposed.

Once I get them all taped off, try starting the car, and no dice. Cranks, and that's about it...

Finally after a while of looking around at numerous different things, a friend shows up with a test light, and we find that the injector fuse had popped. I didn't bother removing it at first because from the top it didn't look broken, but low and behold that was the problem, and now things are okay...tomorrow I'm going to see how far up I can tuck the harness.

Props to anyone who reads this whole thing, lol.
Old 08-12-08, 12:35 AM
Hil
Lexus Fanatic

Damn that sucks. Good job on fixing it though
Old 08-12-08, 02:39 AM
SClean4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i read it all lol glad you solved the problem
Old 08-12-08, 08:01 AM
YeA 2jZ
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Damn that sucks i have my front end low as fawk too and I check that area like crazy. GL with that though
Old 08-12-08, 08:34 AM
RichSC
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the reminder. I'm really low so and I think I should check on that.
Old 08-12-08, 08:38 AM
One_jZ_SC3
Lexus Champion

where are these wires on the drivers side?? My car is slammed and now I am getting worried
Old 08-12-08, 08:47 AM
kyoso23
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

You guys must really slam your cars. I am lowered on Espilir ASD springs (pretty good sized drop) and used to run 20" wheels and I never had rubbing issues on the top of the fender well. I have since changed to 19" and it seems like I've got all the room in the world now.
Old 08-12-08, 09:02 AM
1985zcar
Lead Lap

Yeah, it's on the driver's side in the wheel well, I think tonight after work I'm gonna lift my car up and see if I can tuck it up higher like I did on my S14...

I'm lowered on Powered by Max wheels, and right now I have 235/45/17s up front, and the tires are hella fat, so they've been tearing up my harness pretty bad...
Old 08-12-08, 09:10 AM
Enigma8246
Lead Lap

Glad you posted this. I wasn't aware of this problem. I've had some very minor rubbing but will definitely check this tonight.
Old 08-12-08, 09:15 AM
Baoser
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

nub...there is a thread on harness relocation, so it's not in the wheel well at all...
Old 08-12-08, 01:00 PM
FormosaSC
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Baoser
nub...there is a thread on harness relocation, so it's not in the wheel well at all...
im definatly going to do that
Old 08-12-08, 01:25 PM
rwdanthony
Lexus Champion

deng thats pretty bad, BUT im glad things worked back together though, im about to re-route my harness as well, just as a precation
Old 08-12-08, 04:18 PM
Luxor
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by kyoso23
You guys must really slam your cars. I am lowered on Espilir ASD springs (pretty good sized drop) and used to run 20" wheels and I never had rubbing issues on the top of the fender well. I have since changed to 19" and it seems like I've got all the room in the world now.
Im running Espelir springs too and I have no rubbing issues, I can't believe that people ride around lower than an SC with Espelir's! You can't get any lower with these unless you are running coilovers!
Old 08-12-08, 11:44 PM
1985zcar
Lead Lap

lol I'm not a noob, I knew it was rubbing the harness, but since I've put my friends wheels on, it's been really bad...

Today I lifted up the car, removed the wheel, and relocated the harness up above the frame part in the fender well...haven't had any rubbing, so I'm pretty sure I'm not gonna have a problem with it again. I lucked out and there were a few holes already there so I used zipties to hold the harness up outta the way.
Old 08-13-08, 12:04 AM
5sp_jzz30
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

i just slammed my car last night. on supra TT wheels my wheel is about 1.5 inches from the harness. im relocating it tomorrow or thursday, havent had any rubbing issues yet. i know if i relocate the harness i can go lower by about an inch

right now a pop can can barely roll under the frame rail. then it gets stuck on the exhaust

cut the harness in half and extend it. reroute it throught the engine bay. (make sure to disconnect the battery before cutting all the wires )

Quick Reply: So I noobed it today...