SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Dead lights...HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-02, 06:45 PM
lex400sc
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Dead lights...HELP!

Okay, my fog lights have been dead since I bought the car. Today I bought some new bulbs for it at the dealership and swapped them out, but still no good. In fact I tested the old bulbs out on a halogen desk lamp and they worked fine the whole time! To be honest, I don't know exactly how those fog lights are activated, but I tried every combo (headlights on, auto on, turn signals on, hazards on, high beams on, etc). No matter how they work, I'd ultimately want to wire them so that they turn on with the headlights. Anyway, I checked every point of the wiring harness up to the fuse box and all was good and tight. The only thing I can figure is that there's a dead fuse in the box. I opened the fuse box located behind the battery pan and about 40% of the fuses were missing. Is this normal? Do you guys have fuses inserted for every slot? How do I tell if a fuse is popped? Is it safe to just buy fuses for every slot and replace them all, even the empty ones? If this isn't the problem what else could it be? I'd hate to take it to the dealership for something that seems so basic.
Old 02-13-02, 07:22 PM
gadgetSC
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Arrow Lights

Lex....not sure if its the same on th 95 an up years, but check the left kick panel on the drivers side. You have to pull-up the plastic door sil and pull back the panel with part of the carpet. There is another fuse panel. On the early years, the light fuses are located here. There are also a couple of relays for the lights. Hope this helps.

gadgetSC
Old 02-13-02, 07:26 PM
hwallen172
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My SC300 is a 95 and you have to turn on the fog lights by twisting a collar on the turn signal stalk. It's hard to see.
Old 02-13-02, 11:37 PM
methodmf
Pole Position

i believe the car have to be in drive
Old 02-13-02, 11:45 PM
lex400sc
Lexus Fanatic

methodm:

That'll make it a little harder to test out, but thanks for the info. That could explain why I get nothing when I test it.

gadget:

Thanks, I'll check that panel out too. I'm sure they are the same from my year to yours.

hwallen:

I tried turning the stalk to every possible position, still no good.
Old 02-14-02, 09:08 AM
VQT
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

The inside of fuse box cap should have a sticker showing what fuses go where and at what Amp.; therefore, if the sticker show 40% empty you're OK. If not you need to replace the fuses. The cap also has slot for spare fuses and a fuse puller. The kick panel fuse cap also has the sticker for the name and location of fuses for the box.

Question: What year did they change the turn signal light to Fog/Driving Light?

For my 93, when I turn the left signal light on, the left light stay on while the signal light blink. The same for the right side. It is good when turning at night.
Old 02-14-02, 01:53 PM
lex400sc
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by VQT
The inside of fuse box cap should have a sticker showing what fuses go where and at what Amp.; therefore, if the sticker show 40% empty you're OK. If not you need to replace the fuses. The cap also has slot for spare fuses and a fuse puller. The kick panel fuse cap also has the sticker for the name and location of fuses for the box.

Question: What year did they change the turn signal light to Fog/Driving Light?

For my 93, when I turn the left signal light on, the left light stay on while the signal light blink. The same for the right side. It is good when turning at night.
I saw the diagram inside the cover, the spares, and the fuse clamp, but where does it show which fuses should be empty? On the diagram there is an ampere rating for every slot, so techinically I coud fill blank slots with correct fuses. Would this create a shorting issue? I don't know what year they changed that light or if they did at all. My manual says that's how those lights activate.
Old 02-14-02, 02:24 PM
VQT
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by lex400sc

I saw the diagram inside the cover, the spares, and the fuse clamp, but where does it show which fuses should be empty? On the diagram there is an ampere rating for every slot, so techinically I coud fill blank slots with correct fuses. Would this create a shorting issue? I don't know what year they changed that light or if they did at all. My manual says that's how those lights activate.
I would fill all the fuses in accordance to the back of the cover with the correct Amp. fuse. I remember where the slots are empty, the diagram would read 'spare'.
Do you have a repair manual?
What the manual read about activate the lights?
Old 02-14-02, 03:24 PM
SupraCoup3
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

on this thought, what exactly do those emtpy fuse slots control? Daytime running lights? Hmmmm Could be interesting if you just plugged em all in w/ the right fuses.

Keep us posted.
Old 02-14-02, 07:24 PM
VQT
Lexus Champion

Spare slot for extra equipment that you install like after market Fog Light (if you know how to connect to the fuse box). After market alarm system...

Originally posted by SupraCoup3
on this thought, what exactly do those emtpy fuse slots control? Daytime running lights? Hmmmm Could be interesting if you just plugged em all in w/ the right fuses.

Keep us posted.
Old 02-15-02, 04:54 AM
Keith13b
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Gotta back up VQT here -

Not really sure of the switch over, but try putting on your turnsignal. I know the first gen's have those fog lights as turning lights. Its a simple try and takes 2 seconds to do.

Also, for the other test, if it has to be in drive, just yank up the e-brake and go into drive. Test it first w/ you in the seat -
Old 04-20-09, 10:14 AM
MemphisSC
Driver School Candidate

I've had the same problem with my 95 SC400. The fog lights are installed, and the bulbs are fine, and I also have the dial on the headlight lever set to on but I can't get the fog lights to come on. I looked at the fuse diagram in the manual and it showed two boxes with fuses. When I looked at the fuse box in the car, the second box that is supposed to hold the fog light and heated seat fuse is not there. My heated seats work fine, so I know that there is another box somewhere. Any clue where the second box should be?? Thanks!
Old 04-20-09, 11:02 AM
FuMoFFuTT
Lexus Test Driver

Try signalling to turn right, and see if they turn on, then do the same for the left..

What year is your sc? they could be turning lights
Old 04-20-09, 11:50 AM
hwallen172
Driver

On my '95, the headlights have to be on before the fog lights will come on. I never liked that.
Old 04-21-09, 03:48 PM
MemphisSC
Driver School Candidate

my sc is a 95....they don't come on with the turn signals. I found more fuses higher up and to the right of the large fuse box, and when I pulled out the 15a fuse that should be for the fogs, it was not blown. I put a new fuse in anyway, and still no luck. Not sure what to check next.