Voters: 699. You may not vote on this poll

supra vs sc300 what would you choose?

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-11, 06:47 PM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 195 Likes on 139 Posts

Klaus its been a very good debate my friend---ive enjoyed it thoroughly-

Im going to stop posting in this thread now because it can go on forever and i dont want to seem like im trying to be hurtful or put anyone or their car down.

Thanks for posting your opinion everyone ive enjoyed this thread quite a bit

I would be interested to see this same question asked in the supra forum lol
Old 03-03-11, 06:49 PM
Klaus
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 1WILLY1
lol Klaus

I get the feeling your emotions are starting to flare?

Its time to face it---the supra is overpriced and is lacking in a few important areas.
No not at all haha. I just know of a guy who HONESTLY SAID that he would rather have a supra than a Mclaren F1. That man is a moron . And yes this has actually been a lot of fun haha. I think I might put a chrysler badge on my lexus just to **** you guys off....
Old 03-03-11, 06:56 PM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 195 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by Klaus
No not at all haha. I just know of a guy who HONESTLY SAID that he would rather have a supra than a Mclaren F1. That man is a moron . And yes this has actually been a lot of fun haha. I think I might put a chrysler badge on my lexus just to **** you guys off....
lol at the chrysler badge--yes that might get a few people going
Old 03-03-11, 07:52 PM
Gimpster
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Klaus,

I think we're on the same page. People who take an SC*.* and more or less make it into a TT 6spd are pretty foolish. As you said, you'll dump a lot of coin into a car that you'll have a trouble finding a buyer for at the price you'll think its worth. In the end it'll likely be worth more in parts. I agree too about the NA prices... very laughable. I want to be clear that I have NO intentions of trying to clone a TT mechanically.

MR2's are the same way really. My last MR2 was a '94 turbo, and I tell people the same thing all the time.... if you have the money buy a 94/95. It's rare, and you'll blow thousands trying to make a 91-93 into one. I had to own a few before that became clear to me.

In my case I would be very happy with a 6spd TT and leave it pretty much stock. Which in itself is a difficult task to find a stockish car for the right price.

I'm an aging bald/married white guy. I don't open track anymore, I don't autoX anymore and I don't drag race anymore. In the end I just didn't have the 25-30-35k (depends on the day/car) cash to drop without hurting. Life is about compromise. I'm not sure of my intentions with this SC yet, but we'll see.
Old 03-03-11, 09:12 PM
RyanV
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There's always going to be people ready to turn Supra NA's into TT clones or NA-T monsters.

For example- Take original Hemi's They are $100k these days or more. Not all of those cars are authentic Hemi Cuda 6pack shaker hood cars...but people still clone them, and they still bring big bucks. In the end it's the body/chassis that people want..the drivetrain comes after that.

The Supra is an icon. The Sc is just a more affordable alternative.
Old 03-03-11, 11:00 PM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 424 Likes on 348 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by suislide
Or a Tiburon

and yes....
Maybe I'll take a Tiburon with a Supra wing and Supra emblems....

Well this is what the question should be.

'IF' you had $25 000 cash would you rather put it towards a supra or an sc of your choice.

This evens the playing field because you can do soooooo much to an sc with that sort of cash----but after your done paying for your supra youll be lucky to have enough left for a tank of gas and an oil change.

And it still looks like a Hyundai Tiburon
That's a good question. I say screw them both. At that point, I'd get a Z06, NSX, or SL500. The Supra is great and all, but the NSX was so much cooler. I just wish it was a lot faster.

What would you rather have *****, a Mclaren f1 or an SC300?
Good just a quick sanity check

And yes there is a "supra tax" because the TT 6 speed is worth it. The problem is all of the other models get wrapped up into the hype of the TT 6 speed and they become less of a good value. An NA auto supra is a TERRIBLE value when priced at the 13-15k I've been seeing them for lately. I mean child please. But there's really a LOT into the TT 6 speed that would take big money on an SC300 to convert to and at that point you're nearly at a supra price but you'll never get it back out.
You've got a really good point. I don't like the high price of the Supra to be honest, but the TT 6-speed is still a decent value. I've seen a few go for close to $20,000, so a cheap one wouldn't be a bad idea. As much as a USDM 2JZ-GTE and V160 cost by themselves, you may as well get a cheap
Supra TT. A clean SC300 with a similar setup would be at least $15,000, maybe more.

An NA MKIV Supra should be worth less than the 97+ SC300's and SC400's. Most NA MKIV's are in as bad of shape as a $2,500 SC would be. Most of the time they've been in ten different wrecks and get repainted in ugly Fast and the Furious colors.

Klaus its been a very good debate my friend---ive enjoyed it thoroughly-

Im going to stop posting in this thread now because it can go on forever and i dont want to seem like im trying to be hurtful or put anyone or their car down.

Thanks for posting your opinion everyone ive enjoyed this thread quite a bit

I would be interested to see this same question asked in the supra forum lol
Most MKIV Supra guys act like they hate other cars with 2JZ-GTE's or something, and that only the Supra should have them. Of course, not every MKIV Supra owner is like that, but I do get that impression sometimes.
Old 03-03-11, 11:11 PM
Klaus
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Kira X
Most MKIV Supra guys act like they hate other cars with 2JZ-GTE's or something, and that only the Supra should have them. Of course, not every MKIV Supra owner is like that, but I do get that impression sometimes.
Yeah... a lot of supra guys think their 25k-30k supra is a top of the line ferrari on par with an f430 scuderia. Case in point, dude's comments about the Mclaren....
Old 03-03-11, 11:22 PM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Smile

That would be pretty funny if you put on a Chrysler emblem.

I should get an LF-A emblem for my SC...

Originally Posted by Gimpster
Klaus,

I think we're on the same page. People who take an SC*.* and more or less make it into a TT 6spd are pretty foolish. As you said, you'll dump a lot of coin into a car that you'll have a trouble finding a buyer for at the price you'll think its worth. In the end it'll likely be worth more in parts. I agree too about the NA prices... very laughable. I want to be clear that I have NO intentions of trying to clone a TT mechanically.

MR2's are the same way really. My last MR2 was a '94 turbo, and I tell people the same thing all the time.... if you have the money buy a 94/95. It's rare, and you'll blow thousands trying to make a 91-93 into one. I had to own a few before that became clear to me.

In my case I would be very happy with a 6spd TT and leave it pretty much stock. Which in itself is a difficult task to find a stockish car for the right price.

I'm an aging bald/married white guy. I don't open track anymore, I don't autoX anymore and I don't drag race anymore. In the end I just didn't have the 25-30-35k (depends on the day/car) cash to drop without hurting. Life is about compromise. I'm not sure of my intentions with this SC yet, but we'll see.
It definitely is hard to sell an SC300 with a 2JZ-GTE and V160 for the same price as a Supra TT. You usually can't sell it for what you put into it unless you find the right buyer. I would only do the swap if I never planned on selling the car.

Not to get off topic, but those 94-95 MR2's must be super rare? I don't think I've ever seen one for sale. I never knew they existed until I saw one in an old magazine ad alongside the 95 Supra and Celica.
Old 03-03-11, 11:32 PM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Smile

Yeah... a lot of supra guys think their 25k-30k supra is a top of the line ferrari on par with an f430 scuderia. Case in point, dude's comments about the Mclaren....
Yeah, that true. Sometimes I like to think my 93 is on par with the newer 06+ Lexus' though, which is the same thing in a sense I guess.

I guess if I had a MKIV Supra TT, I'd feel the same way. Every time a MKIV Supra pulls up at a meet, everybody flocks over to it as if it's better than the Ferrari's, NSX's, and other high end cars.
Old 03-04-11, 12:51 AM
suprawhite
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Both, haha. I have the Supra TT already and would love to have the SC as my daily driver since the Supra is a garage queen. Oh wait, I used to own SC400 and sold it for my Supra TT. If the SC came with the 2JZ-GTE like the Supra from the factory, it would be another story. That will be a tough choice

Last edited by suprawhite; 03-04-11 at 12:55 AM.
Old 03-04-11, 06:55 AM
MDSC
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

What would you rather have *****, a Mclaren f1 or an SC300?
mclaren f1 looks like honda civic to him...pshhh.. he dosent want it
Old 03-04-11, 07:01 AM
MDSC
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

also the Sc interior is nice....when its not falling apart...cracked vents, cracked door panels, window surrounds...etc. To fully restore and swap a GTE motor into an SC you are almost right there with buying a supra. The interior alone on the sc is at least 4-5 grand to restore if not more. Supra dosent have that issue, and for the most part the TT supras are in excellent shape because they are worth alot of money and people take care of them unlike the cheap SCs that your everyday person dosent give a crap about.
I think the sc interior is designed very nice but its not designed to last, 1st gen gs/ls/ES dont have those issues which completly blows my mind.
Old 03-04-11, 08:17 AM
Gimpster
Driver

1994 US MR2 Production = 625 (of those, 300ish were turbo)
1995 US MR2 Production = 93 (of those, 74 were turbo)

Owning a USDM 94/95 is a special treat. I often regret selling my low milage '94. Younger members, don't think I'm bagging on you... but a 18 y/o showed up and bought it. He planned on parking it outside, daily driving it... etc. I felt bad for the car, but dip**** money spends the same as enthusiast money

A 95 that hasn't been messed with CAN command Supra TT prices in the right circumstances. The MR2 had a couple things going against it to stop production. #1 the price was getting out of hand. a 1995 Turbo sticker was 35k+. IMO most people looking for a sportly Toyota and had 35+ to drop would go to a Supra instead, but who knows. Also Toyota apparently really didn't want to rework the car for OBDII. If you ever have a friend who somehow gets their hands on a '95 NA or Turbo, make sure they just leave it alone. If they want to hot rod an MR2 find a '91 for $1500 and call it a day.

Originally Posted by Kira X
Not to get off topic, but those 94-95 MR2's must be super rare? I don't think I've ever seen one for sale. I never knew they existed until I saw one in an old magazine ad alongside the 95 Supra and Celica.
Old 03-04-11, 08:45 AM
MMCtuner
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Hi all.
The interior cracks are normal, but the rest it depends on how well or bad was the owner with his/her car. I saw (only in pics as mine is a rare gem in my country) SCs with awful interiors! As if dogs were living there for years!
Mine only haved the cracked vents and window trims that I´ve already repaired by myself with some resin stuff. Done! Everything works perfect! Even the Nakamichi head unit with the cd-changer and amp.
Now I´ve put another stereo BTW, but it came out working.

Back on topic. I like the SC style better than the Supra one. Here in Argentina both cars are exotics. You can count them with your fingers. But mine is a Lexus and a Supra is a "nice Toyota". I know I know, but people here look at those things. Everybody can have a Toyota, but a Lexus...wow! That brand doesn´t even sell in here!
Other than that, I see the Supra as the easy monster. Everybody get a bigger turbo to his allmighty 2JZ-GTE and put some other awesome stuff and have a weapon of a car. Nice! Maybe is a lot of work and I´m not trying to tell supra owners that their work is bad, but I do like best the original, custom work. I see Ryan´s build and his SC is unique. Some other folks are doing pretty good buildings too. And by doing that they can have very powerful cars with a more elegant style and rarer than everyone else´s car.
I´ll love to have a Supra, but I won´t leave or sell my SC to afford it.
Soon I´ll be turboing my V8 (finally! ), and that reminds me of another plus only the SC400 have. The V8 sound
Old 03-04-11, 08:54 AM
Gimpster
Driver

These cars are often ratty because is IS a Lexus people who buy these cars originally typically buy/dump quickly. More often than not they take poor care of the vehicle too. At the point they dump the car, its devalued so much that it ends up in ... well... not the best hands yet again. This goes for pretty much every luxury car in my experience. Like you said it looks like DOGS lived in the car, it grosses me out! I looked at about 15 SC400's when I bought mine and most should've been crushed.

Unless you end up with a one owner car like many of us did, and the owner wasnt a jackass.... good luck!

Quick Reply: supra vs sc300 what would you choose?