41.77%
Voters: 699. You may not vote on this poll

supra vs sc300 what would you choose?

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-08, 09:30 PM
MainSource
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll take the Supra every time. I love the SC, but I've had a love affair with the Supra since the March 1993 issues of R&T and Car and Driver.

Originally Posted by FYRARMS
No. There will be no "fight". I won't allow inter-forum flame battles. Supraforums isn't a Honduh forum (although we get plenty of visitors), so don't act like it is one. 99.9% of MKIV Supra owners LOVE the Lexus SC. Many of us own both. Each car has it's pros and it's cons. The majority of the time a person chooses between a Supra and an SC300 it boils down to MONEY. What can you afford?

Personally, I never considered an SC300 to be my primary "toy" car. Are SCs nice? Yes. Look good? Yes. However, I already have a few daily drivers, so I was looking to sell my 10-second supercharged GM toy and replace it with something else. Reasons I chose the Supra? Plenty...

a) Sexy, sexy, sexy looks. I can't think of any other sportscar in it's class that doesn't look "dated" after 15 years. I wanted to buy a car that would keep me from turning my head at other cars. The MKIV Supra and the Viper GTS were the only cars I would break my neck to get a peek at. I made my choice. The Supra's curvy shape is just stunning. Best *** in class.

b) Comes from the factory with brutally strong components already installed. Engine, trans, and diff are quite possibly the beefiest ever offered in a stock application. The factory brakes are amazing for 15 years of age. Hell, the Porsche 996 Turbo was the first car to finally beat the Supra's braking record after so many years.

c) Upgrade potential. Geez, where do you start? Just a BPU-level car will outperform most other modern sportscars, and some exotics. The sky is the limit.

d) Investment potential. I have had SO many hot rods over the years, and ALL of them sold for much less than I had invested in them. However, the Supra is a different story. 7 years ago I paid $20K for my 68K-mile MKIV. I have invested an additional $5K in mods. I have received offers to buy it for over $30K. Works for me. I am only selling it to fund another car---another MKIV Supra.

e) Exclusivity. With only a small number of MKIV Supras sold in the US, there isn't much of a chance of running in to another one every day, unlike an SC, which are pretty much everywhere. Add the fact that the MKIV was the last model Supra made, and that means the Supra stays timeless---it hasn't been replaced by a newer model.

In closing, the SC300 is a great car. They are built like all Toyota/Lexus cars are known for, they can be modified to your heart's content, and the entry price will fit even a teenager's budget. I would imagine with the N/A-T kits from Sound Performance and Boost Logic, a turboed SC would make a fun car. I just personally would only add one to my stable, but never replace my Supra with one.
Originally Posted by KJH
Here's a couple of pics of my very ugly, kitted Supra (Blackie) and my very ugly stock-bodied (except for front lip) Supra (Eau Rouge). Love SCs, btw. I felt, and still do, the original design was groundbreaking. A number of very special SCs on this site and Supraforums. Peace and love to all:
Hmm...I didn't know you guys were on here!

-Ocelot
Old 08-23-08, 10:18 PM
GS FONZy
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

WOW

Ok, back to topic.
I would pick the Supra over the SC if I didn't have to pay for ether, but since that's not likely to happen, I guess I went SC The Supra is one bad a$$ car, but I am not one to pay the going rate for one. I found an SC for less than what tires alone cost for the wheels on my GS. However; the SC can be a great car if moded correctly. I really don't see the luxury side of the SC like people claim or make it out to be, but everyone has their own opinions.
Old 08-24-08, 01:32 AM
ridox
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just made the switch to the supra recently.
Old 08-24-08, 07:31 AM
FYRARMS
5th Gear

Originally Posted by MainSource
I didn't know you guys were on here!
Yep. Been lurking since 2006. I have been considering a turbo GS300 build-up for a daily beater, and have picked up a lot of info from this site. Great resource!

Originally Posted by GS FONZy
I really don't see the luxury side of the SC like people claim or make it out to be, but everyone has their own opinions.
I agree. I mean, it is a nice and comfy coupe, but it is no LS460.
Old 08-24-08, 07:56 AM
Durrr
Lead Lap

So much hate goin on in there lol. Turns out, its the same platform, can't we ALL JUST GET ALONG?!

Before my SC, I had a 90 MKIII MA70 putting down 465/432... only after a lovely BHG lol. However, I moved into a UZZ31 now, and I've got some plans for it as well. I'm not a big attention getter, and while I could have gotten a supra, I don't want to raise the ire of southern GA cops who think the only thing that exist is a BB Chevy. No one really notices my car, except to ask me what year it is, and how much they can buy it from me for haha.
Old 08-24-08, 06:20 PM
Supraristo
Lexus Test Driver

I have both and have to say, hands down i would never give up my supra for an sc. Hell would have to freeze over for me to pick my sc over my supra. And even if i did, i would consider myself retarded!

Last edited by Supraristo; 08-24-08 at 06:35 PM.
Old 08-24-08, 06:27 PM
YeA 2jZ
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I own a SC and love it but I would give it up for a Supra Turbo 6sp anytime
Old 08-24-08, 06:36 PM
juniorcool
Driver School Candidate

I love the sc and was tempted to buy one several times , but i waited till I could afford and find a clean supra.
Old 08-24-08, 06:58 PM
Levistey0
Lead Lap

If i wanted a Supra, i would've bought one. i think the SC is a great combination between Sportiness and Luxury.

It's Class that Kicks @ss.

Supra's are cool. but i would never trade my SC for one.
Old 08-24-08, 07:43 PM
vntperform
Lexus Champion

This thread.....

My sc300:

I've got love for both the sc300 and supra, granted i've owned a supra and currently own a sc. Different strokes for different folks.
Old 08-25-08, 12:53 PM
Klaus
Instructor

Need an option here for both

The supra is my exotic. The power, the looks, the sound, all of it. No car experience can compare to taking that top off on a nice 70-80 degree aftenoon, throwing some 110 in the gas tank, kicking the boost up to 20psi, and go and bang through 6 gears of pure pleasure ripping up the 315s in the rear. The seats are comfortable, the dash is well laid out, the shifting is firm, ,the car is predictable. It's almost impossible to not be in constant kill mode with her- I swear if there were no speed limits I couldn't keep it under 100. I'll never sell this car.

The SC on the other hand is just a totally different experience. The seats feel like sitting in a comfortable couch. The lumbar adjustment is a great feature. Almost every surface you touch is covered in nice leather. The auto trans shifts nice and smooth and you can just relax and drive. The handling is almost as good as the supra, and the N/A while not a face shredder like the GTE is very peppy for having less than half of the horsepower and gets around fine.

Bottom line it's apples to oranges. They're just radically different cars, but each serves a purpose. I never drive my supra for business- it would be way too pretentious. I go back and forth between the supra and the SC for dates and social just depending on what's going on.

If you can only have one car I don't recommend the supra- you'll be paranoid about it. Everytime you go somewhere and have to park you'll want to get out of there ASAP to make sure your car is OK. It's definitely a VERY high theft target. Don't even think about not parking it in a garage at home. You'll freak out in crowded parking lots worried that someone's going to hit with their door you or a shopping cart will run into you. Also as I said previously there are sometimes where you don't want to be seen in a supra as it's too overboard.

Lastly the Supra will hold and increase it's value over time. The SCs are fairly bottomed out as they are but I predict a lot of the ones going for $8-9k right now will level out at around the $5000 range. A TT 6 speed (3500 ever made) will be a collectors car and will only appreciate in value over time- part of the paranoia about not wanting to drive it everywhere.

Anyway that's my $.02. Hope the perspective helped

Oh yeah and sorry but those that are saying the SC attracts more women than supras do are smoking crack lol. Not dissing the SC in any way but to a girl the SC just looks like an old lexus- oldest lexus girls actually like are 98+ GSes as everything else shows it's age. Most girls would never guess my car is from 94. Sure it's nice on the inside but in a supra you're having too much damn fun to notice! Regardless why the hell do you think any car is going to pick up girls haha

Last edited by Klaus; 08-25-08 at 01:47 PM.
Old 08-25-08, 07:36 PM
Macgyver
Lead Lap

Supra...
And I'm over 30. Never really like the SC to be honest. The GS in any generation has been my fav.
Old 08-25-08, 07:38 PM
Macgyver
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by sneakyazn
Lines of the supra are just very sporty. SC portrays "I'm going for class", while the Supra yells "I'm going to kick your ***"

Old 08-25-08, 09:09 PM
SickSC3
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

just like i said on sf... cant we all just get along
Old 08-25-08, 09:28 PM
gadgetSC
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by SickSC3
just like i said on sf... cant we all just get along
Sibling Rivalry

Quick Reply: supra vs sc300 what would you choose?