SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

molded or custom carpet?

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-08, 11:59 AM
RedSC
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by gadgetSC
It's obvious you have never had the carpet out of the SC.
They integrate some sort of foam/rubber into the carpet for fit and noise insulation. Good luck "simply tracing it"

gadgetSC
it was just a suggestion, i did say we did it on an AE86 and not an SC. I dont think it's something impossible to do, i bet if someone took the time to figuire out ways to remove the carpet and the rubber junk then this would help the SC community save a few bucks.
Old 08-28-08, 12:28 PM
gadgetSC
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by RedSC
it was just a suggestion, i did say we did it on an AE86 and not an SC. I dont think it's something impossible to do, i bet if someone took the time to figuire out ways to remove the carpet and the rubber junk then this would help the SC community save a few bucks.
Don't you think it's a good idea to have a bit of experience with something before giving advice?
I agree, it would be nice for someone to figure out a better way. There is a reason why companies that make replacment carpets for cars don't make one for the SC. It is far from easy.

gadgetSC
Old 08-28-08, 02:03 PM
IS_250
Pole Position

Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts

Just saw some molded carpet kit on ebay.. Might be worth a try, but i'd pick up a used OEM and have it steam cleaned instead.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Quality-Moulded-...QQcmdZViewItem
Old 08-28-08, 02:06 PM
IS_250
Pole Position

Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by gadgetSC
Don't you think it's a good idea to have a bit of experience with something before giving advice?
I agree, it would be nice for someone to figure out a better way. There is a reason why companies that make replacment carpets for cars don't make one for the SC. It is far from easy.

gadgetSC

Someone else here has done it. It appears his post is deleted, but as I said before the un-molded carpet looked pretty good in pics. The carpet does have to be a certain width, either 60" or 80" wide.

Hopefully he'll chime in. There has to be a cheaper alternative to buying the carpet from Lexus.
Old 08-28-08, 02:48 PM
LEX_MAN
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

These carpets never fit right!You will have to use glue and cut the carpet in many places just to sit it right.They dont mold them all the way,like OEM.

Just a heads up.

Originally Posted by IS_250
Just saw some molded carpet kit on ebay.. Might be worth a try, but i'd pick up a used OEM and have it steam cleaned instead.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Quality-Moulded-...QQcmdZViewItem
Old 08-29-08, 09:12 AM
dori-oni
Pole Position

Originally Posted by jgdynamics
is your interior tan? i have carpet from my old interior that im selling... just not sure whut size box i would have to send it in if you were interested..it just needs a good cleaning before you put it back in

pm me if you are interested

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=360442
my interior is grey but i could dye it i guess
Old 08-29-08, 09:40 AM
RedSC
Pole Position

screw it dude, just gut out ur car, remove the tar and paint it and go have some fun. lol or buy the ebay.
Old 08-29-08, 10:40 AM
KLD
Rookie

All aftermarket carpet kits have to be glued down and cut to shape once installed. The companies leave some extra material along the edges as a buffer. As much as we'd like to think that all of our cars are the same...their not! We all might have SC's, but I assure you that not all of them are exactly the same. This is why there's that extra carpet.

The insulation under the carpet is called jute. It serves as a sound, heat and vibration blocker...Ever wonder what that new car smell is??? It's the jute! The jute gets glued down first, then the carpet gets glued over top. You don't have to lay jute everywhere, only on the flat areas from the front of the back seat to the fire wall and you may want to put some over the tranny tunnel to block some heat. Some aftermarket kits come with the jute pre-attached. If you buy a roll of carpet to diy, you're going to need to buy a roll of jute as well.

Glue is needed to keep the carpet from lifting in the valleys, moving around and wrinkling.

Hope that gives you guys some insight on this carpet fiasco
Old 08-29-08, 02:01 PM
jgdynamics
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

yea, i dyed some carpet before, like the door panel carpet, and it came out nice...i did it for my black interior, the carpet is still soft and felxible
Old 08-29-08, 05:09 PM
YeA 2jZ
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

when i do my balck interior conversion I am just going to take my car to an interior shop and have my carpet custom made. More than likely "jute" or Dynamat type product will be used but the interior ppl know what there doin. It might be a little more pricey than ebay but you get what you pay for. GL
Old 08-29-08, 10:15 PM
KLD
Rookie

Originally Posted by sTcT300
when i do my balck interior conversion I am just going to take my car to an interior shop and have my carpet custom made. More than likely "jute" or Dynamat type product will be used but the interior ppl know what there doin. It might be a little more pricey than ebay but you get what you pay for. GL
I work at an upholstery shop...NOT ADVERTISING just so you guys know I kinda know what I'm talking about...I tried explaining the process above. I could go into better detail if you'd like.
Old 08-30-08, 04:30 AM
YeA 2jZ
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by KLD
I work at an upholstery shop...NOT ADVERTISING just so you guys know I kinda know what I'm talking about...I tried explaining the process above. I could go into better detail if you'd like.
SoOoo you work at an interior shop ??? what part of Florida you in
Old 08-30-08, 05:26 AM
llcoolb
Driver School Candidate

Hey guys....I tried to simply buy a roll of carpet that matched, cut it to exact measured size, and install. It looked like crap! I removed it of course. So I then purchased a short black fur., some carpet foam, and a waterproof insultion and went to town on my SC400. It turned out beautiful. I cut the foam according to the contours of the floor and glued everything. It tok a lot of work....but it was worth it.
Old 08-30-08, 08:11 AM
tavarish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by llcoolb
Hey guys....I tried to simply buy a roll of carpet that matched, cut it to exact measured size, and install. It looked like crap! I removed it of course. So I then purchased a short black fur., some carpet foam, and a waterproof insultion and went to town on my SC400. It turned out beautiful. I cut the foam according to the contours of the floor and glued everything. It tok a lot of work....but it was worth it.
post pics please.