SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Power Seats...

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-08, 07:51 PM
nate579
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Power Seats...

Okay I did a search for this problem, but it seems everyone seats is okay or they replaced them. Well anyway, my passenger seat fore and aft motion no longer works. The seat backs work ok, but the seat bottom no long function. Is there a fuse or am I looking at replacing the seat motor? If someone can't point me to a thread with a fix it or advice it would be much apprciated. Thanks in advance.
Old 09-06-08, 11:52 PM
1985zcar
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mine didn't work on one side when I bought it, and OF COURSE it was stuck all the way forward. I took it all apart, manually moved the seat all the way back, and left the motor disconnected, so my pass. seat doesn't move at all anymore, kinda gay. lol
Old 09-06-08, 11:56 PM
stevechumo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I never touched the seats, but the seat memory is on the driver door panel. There are like 2 or 3 buttons there. Perhaps the wires got loose. Or maybe check the fuse in the kick panel on the driver side and the main fuse box.
Old 09-07-08, 08:04 PM
wwy059
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Passenger Seat

My passenger seat is stuck too. The inside motor doesn't work so it just twist. I looked at it once but couldn't even see how to remove the seat. So I haven't invested that much time into it yet but am also interested on information pertaining to this situation.
Old 09-07-08, 11:20 PM
wooziewest
Driver

Make sure all the wiring harnesses inside the seat are connected. I had a problem very similar to this and all it was was a disconnected harness.
Old 09-08-08, 09:12 PM
dwebb99
Lexus Test Driver

I had the same problem with my passenger seat(would not move front to back), I removed the seat from the car, turned the seat on its side(seat switches downward) and noticed that a small white plastic gear(smaller than a dime) had fallen out of one of the motors (the side of seat that faces the tranny) Popped the little gear back in place, and rebolted seat back in place, worked like a charm.
Old 10-15-08, 03:40 PM
miraluna
Pole Position

I actually have same problem now... I just want to replace mine with another used one... but I can't take it out... Help here on how to take my passenger seat out when mine is forwarded all the way...
Old 10-19-08, 12:11 PM
miraluna
Pole Position

anyone knows if there is any manual release button to make my passenser seat go back
Old 10-19-08, 04:02 PM
johnbot123
Rookie

i had this happen to me today. any help would really be helpful.
Old 10-20-08, 08:15 AM
SHOLEXMAN
Lexus Test Driver

There are a couple ways to check to see what the issue is. You can unlplug the harness going to the motor and jumper power to the correct pins in the connector. That or get a voltmeter and check the harness on the car going to the motor and check for a power source. You can tap the motor if you can get something under the seat while pushing the button and see if it moves. A unlpugged harness and a popped of gear is a good posibility. If you hear the motor humming and its not moving the gear could be off. Your switch could be also worn out so if you jumpered power to the motor and it works, check the switch for a possible failure. Your seat memory buttons can be defective ,but that would make the whole seat not function. If the fuse it out the whole seat would not work and not just one setting. Get to testing!
Old 10-20-08, 08:12 PM
nate579
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

That's good advise SHOLEXMAN. I reached under my seat and found a disconnected plug. The problem is removing the seat to reconnect it. Or least point in the general direction of where the plug goes. The seat is half way forward so it's minimum room at best to do anything. Seat removal instruction would be greatly appreciated.
Old 10-21-08, 08:25 AM
SHOLEXMAN
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by nate579
That's good advise SHOLEXMAN. I reached under my seat and found a disconnected plug. The problem is removing the seat to reconnect it. Or least point in the general direction of where the plug goes. The seat is half way forward so it's minimum room at best to do anything. Seat removal instruction would be greatly appreciated.
There should be 5 bolts that are 14mm that you can remove. There are plastic covers on the floor that need to be popped off with a screw driver. I wouldn't do that cause it is making more work for you. There should either be a plug going into the side of the motor of there should be a plug coming out of the floor that you could plug it into. Use a flashlight and you could probably find the plug in the carpet somewhere. That much area to look in so you should find it easily. If you can see it use the fell of your hands cause that works for me if I can't see the part I am looking for ,but know its there.
Old 11-25-08, 10:55 PM
wwy059
Driver School Candidate

I did this last month and it is pretty easy. The white cap you will probably find under the seat is a bearing retainer and with it out it pushes the bearing out and disengages the gear. To move the seat back so you can remove the bolts there is a nut on the front of the seat rail. Put a 10 mm socket with an extention on this nut and it will allow you to move that one side manually. Pull the bolt covers off and remove front bolts. bump the seat back electrically and manally turn the side that won't move until you can remove the bolts on the rear of the seat. On mine the bearing was sticking out so I couldn't push the bearing in with a screw driver I stuck the seat back in the car and bumped it electrically and it sucked the bearing back into position. I found it easier to lie the seat on it's side and screw the cap back on and then tighten it with a 12 mm open end wrench. The seat is now repaired and ready to be reinstalled in the car. It took me about 10 minutes from start to finish
Old 11-26-08, 04:54 AM
DirtGhost
Driver School Candidate

what year does trhe seat memory start ?
Old 11-26-08, 07:28 AM
mr2tosc4
Lexus Test Driver

Mine was off the track. When I took it out it was the gear because the motor was fine. I ended up replacing the whole seat as the leather was ripped anyways. But yeah, it was a pain removing it when it's stuck one way, I used a thin wrench to get in there. Nate, in your case just stick your hand under the seat and search that plug with your hand, it's there sticking out from the carpet in the middle.

Quick Reply: Power Seats...