SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Climate Control Bug

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-02, 06:44 PM
Black94RX-7TT
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Climate Control Bug

I noticed a really weird glitch in my climate control tonight. I took it out of auto mode to keep it from blowing at my feet....the fan indicator showed that it was on the lowest setting, but I pushed the fan-speed-down button anyways and to my surprise it slowed down even more. I engaged auto again, and the fan speed sped back up a notch, but the indicator didn't show it. Is mine broke, or does everybody's do this? I would *think* since its a solid state computer controlling it that its just a bug in the software, and everybody's does this....but then again something could be physically wrong.
Old 07-22-05, 07:21 AM
GliTCH
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think in Auto mode the computer has greater control over the blower speed. Your fan switch only gives you a few presets but the computer can vary it to a number of different positions in between them, and I think what's happening is when you switched your climate to Auto the computer wanted a position in between the first and second notches on the blower speed indicator. This explains the reason you were hearing the blower go faster when you switched the climate to Auto even though the display only shows it still set to the first notch/bar.
Old 07-22-05, 02:15 PM
b1ackhawk
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i have a similar problem, my blower is pretty much always on full speed regardless of what the indicator shows, sometimes it kicks down for a few seconds but then goes right back up to full blast, gets annoying. i have posted the problem a number of times, but no one really seems to know what the problem is or responds
Old 07-22-05, 09:11 PM
dahozzman
Rookie

Default Climate control mind of its own

One possible answer is that a previous owner replaced the climate control unit with one from a mis-matched year. I believer 92-94 climate control brain is the same. But, at least beginning with year 1995 the brain changed.

I know this as in restoring my '95 (dreaded blacken liquid crystal display) I put in a climate control funit rom a '94 and it didn't work correctly. What I ended up doing is swapping the good front section to the back section of my '95 that held the brain. A couple of screws and it all cam apart for the swap.

All is good now.
Old 07-22-05, 10:19 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 350 Likes on 226 Posts

they'll work from 92-96, possible bad brain unit?
Old 07-26-05, 12:53 PM
lalaland
Rookie

if blower always on, might be a sensor like the temp sensor and it doesnt know when to shut off
Old 08-04-05, 11:55 AM
b1ackhawk
Intermediate

Originally Posted by lalaland
if blower always on, might be a sensor like the temp sensor and it doesnt know when to shut off
i dont think so, the climate control knows its supposed to lower the blower speed, the display will show that the fan speed is reduced, it just never happens
Old 01-27-06, 09:29 AM
STRONG SC
Lead Lap

Has anyone ever found the problem to this post? Mines on full blast as well. '95-96 into a '92-94
Old 01-27-06, 11:01 AM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 350 Likes on 226 Posts

Originally Posted by STRONG SC
Has anyone ever found the problem to this post? Mines on full blast as well. '95-96 into a '92-94
Strong, I forgot to ask if this is the case at all times or not. If you manually adjust it by the buttons and it won't change speeds that is one thing, but if you use the temp **** in auto mode you can possibly blame the sensor in the vent to the right of the steering wheel .
Old 01-27-06, 10:29 PM
dahozzman
Rookie

Default YOu have a miss matched brain

The brain (rear section) in a 92-94 control unit is different than in a 95-96. I learned this the same way you just have.

The good news is there is no operating difference (other than bulb color display) in the control (front) section. Assuming you replaced your control unit due to a failed bulb or LCD display, the brain in your old one is still good. You can separate and swap the good 95-96 control section to the 92-94 brain and you'll be good again.

Few screws, squeeze carefully two plastic snaps, and they slides easily apart. The key step is to unplug the two harneses where they connect to the rear brain section, NOT where they connect to the front display section. Just unplug the harness from the 95-96 brain, plug back in the same locations in the 92-94 brain, and your back in business.
Old 01-31-06, 04:11 PM
white93
Rookie

Default climate control brain

Fried the brain in my 93 unit and replaced it with a unit I purchased from that certain bidding site.
The bulbs light in orange plus my blower stays on high all the time also.
I purchased it from that certain bidding site from a guy, I believe, is also a club lexus member. the unit is in excellent condition, so I would love to know what the definitive answer is.

Kinda getting used to the orange anyway. but full speed is driving me crazy.

Thanks guys!!!
Old 02-01-06, 12:47 PM
b1ackhawk
Intermediate

I have a 95, to the best of my knowledge it is the original climate control. The lights are amber which is correct for 95, unless someone switched out the brain only, than it should be the correct one. However, my blower stays on full blast even if you manually turn down the fan speed. The blower will occasionally step down to a slower selected speed, but only for a few moments, than it starts blasting again. If anyone know the answer to this i would really appreciate it, ive been driving around with it since i got the car 2 years ago.
Old 02-01-06, 07:54 PM
dahozzman
Rookie

Default See OLT's comments above

Based on your description, sounds like you have a sensor problem as OLTdescribed, not a wrong application brain problem. But, could be a failed brain as well.

Originally Posted by SC4Hundo
I have a 95, to the best of my knowledge it is the original climate control. The lights are amber which is correct for 95, unless someone switched out the brain only, than it should be the correct one. However, my blower stays on full blast even if you manually turn down the fan speed. The blower will occasionally step down to a slower selected speed, but only for a few moments, than it starts blasting again. If anyone know the answer to this i would really appreciate it, ive been driving around with it since i got the car 2 years ago.

Last edited by dahozzman; 02-01-06 at 08:00 PM.