Sc400 For $4600 Worth It?

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-08, 07:29 AM
twong82
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sc400 For $4600 Worth It?

Hi,

I just signed up to check with the SC400 enthusiasts of whether a 1992 SC400 with 29,500 original miles is worth it for $4600. I would be the 2nd owner. The first owner has it since new and is 71 yrs old. It was rarely driven. The leather interior is in great condition for its age and does not have any tears and has minor wear. There is a dent (~4-6in. diameter) in the quarter panel near the rear bumper from someone hitting it when parked. The rear bumper has some scratches and stuff from being parked on the streets in the city. The car is gold color. The engine seems smooth. The sunroof works fine. The instrument gauges are ok. There is a slight crack/slit in the leather on the driver's side door panel above the wood trim. There are also some windshield scratches from wipers that were supposed to be replaced. The AC compressor was replaced 3 yrs ago. New battery and replaced a few belts. Please let me know what you guys think. Thanks!
Old 09-24-08, 07:42 AM
redsc400
Pole Position

i'd get the carfax and buy it if everything checks out and theres really just 30K miles. that quarter panel will be expensive to fix though...
Old 09-24-08, 07:58 AM
captainsc
Lexus Test Driver

Sounds like an awesome deal. Most of those things you mentioned are all minor. The panel will be expensive but otherwise with that low millage you are getting an excellent vehicle.
Old 09-24-08, 08:00 AM
pmpdaddyt
Lexus Test Driver

thats damn near free lol
Old 09-24-08, 08:05 AM
twong82
Driver

Originally Posted by redsc400
i'd get the carfax and buy it if everything checks out and theres really just 30K miles. that quarter panel will be expensive to fix though...

Thanks for the response. I just ran the Carfax on it and it looks good. The last recorded mileage was 25k miles back in 2004. Is the dent in the quarter panel that expensive? It is not a deep dent. How much do you estimate that costs? The old lady said she took it to body shop to get an estimate and it is around $500. Does that sound about right? Thanks!

Last edited by twong82; 09-24-08 at 08:09 AM.
Old 09-24-08, 08:16 AM
RolxuSC400
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sorry I am always the person to say if it sounds too good to be true it usually is...people arent that naive these days thats fairly cheap (bout a $1,000 below book retail) for a car with those miles. I would verify the Carfax or find out title history/status on the car whether salvage, flood etc or maybe you are one of the luckiest SOB's I have met. Have you personally seen the car and driven it? Will they let you take it for an inspection by a mechanic? Where in VA?

The bulk of your issues are cosmetic with the most expensive being the dent in rear quarter but without pics is tough to say how expensive. That estimate could be accurate if no paint depending on where the damage is on the quarter.
Old 09-24-08, 08:43 AM
twong82
Driver

Originally Posted by RolxuSC400
Sorry I am always the person to say if it sounds too good to be true it usually is...people arent that naive these days thats fairly cheap (bout a $1,000 below book retail) for a car with those miles. I would verify the Carfax or find out title history/status on the car whether salvage, flood etc or maybe you are one of the luckiest SOB's I have met. Have you personally seen the car and driven it? Will they let you take it for an inspection by a mechanic? Where in VA?

The bulk of your issues are cosmetic with the most expensive being the dent in rear quarter but without pics is tough to say how expensive. That estimate could be accurate if no paint depending on where the damage is on the quarter.

I have driven the car around the neighborhood and it runs great. No unusual sounds. The carfax history is clean and it says those are the true mileage. It has a clear title. No flood, salvage, or rebuild. The car needs a good waxing and detailing. Thanks for the help!
Old 09-24-08, 08:49 AM
SC_coupe
Racer

Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts

If the car is in good shape otherwise than the cosmetic issues you mentioned, under $5000 for an SC with those kind of miles sounds good to me.
Old 09-24-08, 08:51 AM
RolxuSC400
Instructor

Originally Posted by twong82
I have driven the car around the neighborhood and it runs great. No unusual sounds. The carfax history is clean and it says those are the true mileage. It has a clear title. No flood, salvage, or rebuild. The car needs a good waxing and detailing. Thanks for the help!
Then I'd say BUY IT and drive like you stole it...cuz ya did!
Old 09-24-08, 08:53 AM
mr2tosc4
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by RolxuSC400
Where in VA?
yeah, where? lemme look at it
Old 09-24-08, 08:54 AM
twong82
Driver

Thanks for the help! Anything else, I should look out for?
Old 09-24-08, 08:58 AM
twong82
Driver

BTW, what is the best model year for this car? What is the first thing I should do/mod?
Old 09-24-08, 09:07 AM
dwebb99
Lexus Test Driver

Sounds like a very good deal, you could still bargin with her over the repairs and perhaps get her to come down in price. Paintless dent repair could work on the qtr panel. You may have found a very nice deal! Don't worry about mods until you repair, flush ALL fluids, clean, etc etc. Let us know how the deal turn outs. We are here to help.
Old 09-24-08, 09:21 AM
RolxuSC400
Instructor

Thanks for the help! Anything else, I should look out for?
At that mileage its not scheduled for anything major and the other items like control arms are likely ok. I would check basic stuff like fluids and make sure the rubber items (gaskets,seals hoses etc) are not dry rotted. Look underneath for leaks as the rear main seal if not driven enough will leak as gasket will fail. I am still skeptical but I guess some of us ARE luckier than others.

I dont think there is a "best" MY for this car people on here have their opinions for sure but at this point its what appeals to you and if it makes sense for you. I wouldnt worry bout mods till you live with the car for a while.
Old 09-24-08, 10:59 AM
lionscourt
Rookie

BTW, what is the best model year for this car? What is the first thing I should do/mod?
people here tend to like the 97 plus years. as far a modding goes, it seems most guys do wheels and tires, lower it, and then engine. many of the guys with pre-97's often get the 97+ kits. it sounds like a great deal! i'd say go for it but I definitely like the 97+models.

Quick Reply: Sc400 For $4600 Worth It?