SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Need a liitle advice...

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-08, 12:08 PM
mechanos
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need a liitle advice...

Hi, I'm new to this site and want to say what a great resource it is. I've always wanted a SC400 and well, now I've found one and I'm kinda getting nervous about buying it. I just returned to school full time so I don't really have a lot of time or money to invest. anyway, I have found a 93 SC400 and the price is right (I think) $4500, 87K, interior in great shape, exterior is straight. drives and run excellent. BUT, It has a few bugs.

airbag light is on: Found what I think to be the solution on the forums, I don't think it's ever been wrecked so it's not really a concern.

Radio fuses keep blowing: I understand that this is a common problem resulting from a loose ground in the console.

Needles don't illuminate: No surprise

Heres the two that cause me to worry a bit:
The tach occasionally doesn't work: I understand that this is probably just a failing tach motor and is easily remedied by an aftermarket tach, I just want to make sure the this is not indicative of some larger problem. (just got rid of a BMW318i with major gauge problems and not eager to start down that road again)

This is the one that really has me stumped. There is a fused wire running off of the fuse box (in the kick panel). If unhooked the car will not shift out of park. As long as the wire is plugged into the fuse box there are no problems tho. Is this something that I should be concerned about or is just a reliable way to bypass the shift lock? also, is this something that could be related to my stereo woes?

I greatly appreciate any feedback or input. When it comes to these cars, I'm remarkably ignorant. thanks. -Mike
Old 10-05-08, 12:36 PM
captainsc
Lexus Test Driver

You are looking at what sounds to be a great car. They can come with other problems and from what it sounds like you have a winner. CHECK...front LCA bushings, ac compressor, starter before you buy it. These are big priced items that are usually required to be replaced. As far as the tach. mine wont sometimes work at startup so I just give it a good tap with my hands and its fine. Overall for a good shape 93 400 with that low miles I think you should be good.
Old 10-05-08, 03:39 PM
UTSC300
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by mechanos
I don't really have a lot of time or money to invest

That right there is something you will have to rethink when owning one of these cars. I've put 1 grand worth of parts of things that weren't even showing when I bought my car. Cheap and Lexus don't go in the same sentence. sorry.
I'd keep looking to, that car sounds like its got some stupid issues.
Old 10-05-08, 05:00 PM
huddleston
Racer

Received 56 Likes on 13 Posts

i would keep looking unless you dont mind spending some $. you should be able to find one that has been maintaned better.
Old 10-05-08, 05:19 PM
mechanos
Driver School Candidate

yeah, I'm not sure that I could find one that's been better maintained. It's only got 87K, I did fail to mention, however, that it has all records, serviced ever 5k, Low mileage. I don't mine spending some coin. I just don't wanna be breaking the bank chasing down gremlins. I can do the work myself. Also, I'd prefer to put money and time into mods, rather than fixes. I just wanna make sure I gonna have a good base car to start with. I just had a BMW that was a deep deep abyss in which I threw my money into, only to find that a week later the beast in the pit was hungry again.

I wanna make sure that nothing in the problems above are symptomatic of some larger electrical issue. and more specifically, the shift lock.

Last edited by mechanos; 10-05-08 at 05:54 PM.