SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

97 Maxima or 92/93 SC300/400???

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-02, 12:37 PM
cny730
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 97 Maxima or 92/93 SC300/400???

I will also post this question on the Maxima.org forum...

My last car was a Maxima, and I was very happy with it.
I would like to upgrade to the style, comfort and sportiness of the Lexus SC, but at BEST (with a max of $10K to spend) I will be able to afford a high miles 92 or 93 SC 300 or 400. I would probably prefer an SC300 over the 400 to save on insurance, but I'm not sure if the lower-miled Maxima would be a more sensible choice because I do not anticipate having enough money to spend on any repairs (outside of the normal, expected, repairs and schedule maintenance).

Any honest, relatively unbiased, thoughts on this?

I live in Arizona and the SC's are not easy to come by (which is also why I want one)....

I'm hoping to purchase something this weekend, so please advise.

Thanks

Last edited by cny730; 02-18-02 at 02:36 PM.
Old 02-18-02, 01:48 PM
Legends6spd
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

very diff type of cars if u havn't noticed. i cant possibly see how you can cross shop these 2 cars besides looking at price alone..
first,,, tell urself. WHAT do u need in a car...?
then maybe u'll make a decision easier
Old 02-18-02, 02:43 PM
cny730
Driver School Candidate

I agree with you, I'm sure it seems odd to be comparing these two cars... but I'm the type of guy that has for the last couple of years driven a very slow (but reliable) 4 cyclinder Mazda 626, but compensated with a Honda CBR F4 sportsbike for weekend speed adventures.

Basically, one of my top priorities is reliability and my biggest limitation is my limitied funds...

I figure the Lexus will give me the comfort, style and exclusivity I like, while the Maxima will give me a decent level of sportiness and reliability (due to the inevitable lower mileage for the price) while also an acceptable level of comfort and style.

So yes, the biggest thing these cars have in common is that they are both in my price range, and "overall", I think they are two of the best cars I can get in that price range (of $10K max)... someone please correct me if I'm wrong or if there's anything else in this price range generally considered a good deal (keeping in mind that I would prefer a newer Maxima to an older ES300).

THANKS
Old 02-18-02, 05:38 PM
lex400sc
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by cny730
Basically, one of my top priorities is reliability

I figure the Lexus will give me the comfort, style and exclusivity I like, while the Maxima will give me a decent level of sportiness and reliability (due to the inevitable lower mileage for the price) while also an acceptable level of comfort and style.
The SC300 is pretty damn reliable itself. I remember someone mentioning the engine is good to 300,000 miles with regular scheduled maintanence. The only problem that I've heard of with the SC is with power steering fluid(???) leakage, which I haven't yet encountered myself--and seems to be pretty uncommon. Keep in mind that if hypothetically you had an issue with your car, a Lexus would be more expensive to repair relative to a Nissan. But with your wording it sounds like you are already kind of iffy on the Maxima. My recommendation is to go to a Lexus dealership and test drive a used SC coupe, then do the same at Nissan. I've been in my friend's 2000 Maxima before and comparing it to the SC-400, I feel that the SC is much more smoother and the power and handling gives you a lot of on-road confidence. The cabin noise is also lower, and interior decor is very pleasing. The Maxima probably has better mileage (I haven't checked on it), but for commuting the SC is much peppier with better acceleration and braking.

PS: Tell us what the Nissan guys are saying about Lexus
Old 02-18-02, 08:30 PM
SCV8
Instructor

Do you need a four door for any reason?
The back seat utility is pretty weak on the SCs,but it's one heck of a car if you drive alot on the freeway;it'll make an hour long commute seem like 15 minutes.
Depends on the use I suppose,I would've kept my '87 Jetta if it weren't for the 80+ miles I drive every day.
Old 02-18-02, 11:24 PM
Lvangundy

I asked my insurance guy about the engine size difference at Allstate Insurance and there is no price difference between a v6 and a v8.
Old 02-18-02, 11:58 PM
lex400sc
Lexus Fanatic

For AAA in CA, engine size matters a lot. For a Z28 Camaro, the annual insurance was $1000 higher than the very same RS model. The way I found around it is to drop an LS-1 engine from a roll over into an RS frame. Insurance companies never check anything but the frame VIN, therefore I'm insuring a 6-cylinder which mysteriously has 325hps at the crank. What sucks is if you crash the thing you're out one $3000 engine.
Old 02-19-02, 12:33 AM
The Ikon
Lexus Champion

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Think of it this way... Buy a $60K SC4 or a $48K SC3... Or get a $27K Maxima........ These are 2000 prices, but that's what you will have in your driveway. A higher dollar luxury coupe for a preowned $$$...

There really is no comparison...... My Mom, Aunt, cousin and best frined has the Maxima... nice cars but the car is not on the same level as refinement as a SC... Plus the panache is all there in a Lexus SC.

The cars are bullet proof and you will enjoy your new/used SC for many years to come. Trust me.... GET THE SC4 or SC3 You will thank us later

Good Luck on your choice.

The Ikon
Old 02-19-02, 04:30 PM
machinegt
Pole Position

yah i agree on it being great for your commute as well, you will find yourself using the "Long" way home, and using it over and over before you actually reach your home. I love driving the SC, a maxima would just be a utility car.