SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Is the SC right?

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-08, 08:00 PM
SHOLEXMAN
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Burns
Well he's got 30 years of driving experience with a perfect record.
Go with your dad then if he agrees cause that would be the best way out.
Old 10-06-08, 10:15 PM
FormosaSC
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Oh I really like it, but I just want to be aware of the costs it may present me down the road, compared to a relatively soulless car like an Accord or Civic. I think it's obvious that it will cost more to maintain than those cars, but I just want to know if its worth it and if its manageable.

Thanks for all the suggestions and feedback guys. I've been thinking that the only thing that will prevent me from buying one would be high insurance compared to an accord. Gas wont be a problem I guess and I really do want to learn how to work on cars so maintenance will be done by myself. And of course if it turns out to be too much then I'll just polish and detail it and sell it for 1k above what I paid for it

Question, and I'm sorry if it's a really stupid one, but if the car itself costs $5000, why would they charge $1700/year or thereabouts for insurance? In a few years you would have paid them more than the car is worth, isn't that kind of pointless? And would it be significantly cheaper if my dad insured the car as him being the primary user and the SC being his recreation car rather than insuring the SC as my car?
well first of all owning an SC is expensive, being a 2 door sports car, the insurance is expensive, the gas is expensive (sc takes quite a bit of it's kool aid), and for a $5000 car, you will need new bushings, new mounts, new leather, new brakes, and maybe new shocks, realistically you're looking at a lot more than $5000, it's not cheap to drive an sc to be honest.

I use to own 2 x 240sx, and they are honestly easier and cheaper to maintain.. i would get a nissan if you dont have the money.

As for the insurance, i would think twice about using my dads insurance... if anything happens, im sure your dad's insurance will increase.
Old 10-07-08, 02:30 PM
Mr. Burns
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ok so while I'm waiting for the bus today (curse the university's mandatory bus pass) I see a beautiful red SC go by. Keep in mind I rarely ever see any around here. I must say it is really beautiful, nicer than perhaps 80% of cars out there (sub 100k of course), which is awesome considering its such an old design. But I swear the guy driving it was toying with me, ten minutes later I'm on the bus going home and he goes by slowly. Later when I'm getting off the bus near my house he goes by the bus again. I'm like "how did he get here"?

Anyways I think he convinced me to take the plunge. I do not want to drive some stupid 90s accord or Civic, I want a big, beautiful, RED Lexus SC300. Bushings, mounts and shocks be damned! Now I just have to wait until one goes up for sale here, perhaps that guy will sell his one day, hopefully soon.
Old 10-07-08, 04:35 PM
Kaydee
Hacked CL to become a Mod

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Nah...he won't sell his anytime soon...he got it last year I think?? he goes by the name Justenzo
Old 10-07-08, 05:35 PM
DasBach
Lexus Test Driver

Ok so while I'm waiting for the bus today (curse the university's mandatory bus pass) I see a beautiful red SC go by. Keep in mind I rarely ever see any around here. I must say it is really beautiful, nicer than perhaps 80% of cars out there (sub 100k of course), which is awesome considering its such an old design. But I swear the guy driving it was toying with me, ten minutes later I'm on the bus going home and he goes by slowly. Later when I'm getting off the bus near my house he goes by the bus again. I'm like "how did he get here"?

Anyways I think he convinced me to take the plunge. I do not want to drive some stupid 90s accord or Civic, I want a big, beautiful, RED Lexus SC300. Bushings, mounts and shocks be damned! Now I just have to wait until one goes up for sale here, perhaps that guy will sell his one day, hopefully soon.
There are a lot of financial problems you will probably end up having with the car.

Yes, you will want to redo all the suspension and such to get it just right, but you will end up finding dozen of great deals to pour into the car and before you know it you've spent a lot on your first car.

I totaled my old SC300 and bought a 400. I didn't think I'd mod it but now I've bought ScottURnot's supercharger, full lighting and all of the 5 speed nick nacks for it. Go figure. You sound like a compulsive buyer. You will still be a compulsive buyer when it comes time to spending a few extra bucks on the car. Say it isn't so, but it always seems to be the case.
Old 10-07-08, 06:32 PM
breakb
Lead Lap

i'm 19, gonna be 20 THIS WEEK!! yay!! anyways. i got a loan out for my car. spent like 1,300 repairning it. being that $1000 of it was fixing cuz i crashed it drifting. >< but other then that, they are GREAT cars! but gas mileage...eh...but i love the power. i have a sc400. mine may be from 1992,(actually december of 91 it was purchased though according to the title.) but it can still hit 140. too scared to take it higher at the moment. GL wit your car selection though! was actually thinking about getting a 3z myself too, but i think i'll stay with my sc, most ppl don't expect anything out of a lexus car anyways. mo sleepa for the ppl who don't know what's coming.

peace out
Old 10-07-08, 07:08 PM
huddleston
Racer

Received 56 Likes on 13 Posts

i would advise you to find a camry or something similair unless you come across an SC that has been very well maintained.
Old 10-07-08, 07:58 PM
Mr. Burns
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by DasBach
There are a lot of financial problems you will probably end up having with the car.

Yes, you will want to redo all the suspension and such to get it just right, but you will end up finding dozen of great deals to pour into the car and before you know it you've spent a lot on your first car.

I totaled my old SC300 and bought a 400. I didn't think I'd mod it but now I've bought ScottURnot's supercharger, full lighting and all of the 5 speed nick nacks for it. Go figure. You sound like a compulsive buyer. You will still be a compulsive buyer when it comes time to spending a few extra bucks on the car. Say it isn't so, but it always seems to be the case.
I'm not really a fan of "fast" and "performance". Main reason I like the SC is because it looks great, is a Lexus (i.e. smooth comfortable and relatively quiet ride and above average reliability) and because it costs only 1k or so more than a comparable used Accord of the same year. The only things I would change would be a repainting (if the paint is really bad) and some headlight and taillight mods and that is only when I can afford it. I don't really intend on tuning the suspension or adding superchargers or even expensive sound systems. I don't care about it handling like a sports car, but rather it being stable and quiet at highway speeds. It would be more for transportation than entertainment, but I do want to be proud of owning it, unlike a Camry which is pretty much a boring appliance.

Now if these financial problems stem from many mandatory things that need to be replaced, then I have a problem, but I'll make sure the car I buy has been well maintained, is relatively low mileage, and is checked by an independent qualified mechanic. Hopefully if the car I buy meets these conditions then it wont cost me that much regarding fixing down the road. But I just want to make sure that the SC is a reliable car if it is well maintained and not raced or the like.

They say the first gen LS400s are nearly bulletproof as far as reliability goes, didnt the SC400 use the same engine as the LS?
Old 10-07-08, 08:04 PM
lemaylexus
Driver

If you don't have money to spend on repairs, I wouldn't get one. The parts are expensive, believe me I know I just spent $1600 on a flywheel and torque converter that wen't bad for some reason. If it were me, I'd get a newer car with less fancy stuff in it, that way you can get something with lower miles. As for the 300zx, FORGET ABOUT IT. Those things break constantly. My friend is forever dumping cash into his.
Old 10-07-08, 08:14 PM
JDMfoLIFE
Driver

Ok Nice Picks... But When It Comes Down To It.. Sc Is A Perfect Car.. If U Look At The Z And The Hondas They Are Way Different It Doesnt Even Match The Looks As The Sc... The 300 Bad Gas Getting About 15-19 Pretty Bad A Buddy Of Mine Has One... The Sc Is Way To Go U Cant Go Wrong And If Looking For Parts Check Ebay... Its The Perfect Car For U And The Ride Is So Smooth U Will Love It! Trust Me Get The Sc If U Can Find One
Old 10-07-08, 08:25 PM
KoSC300
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

go get a civic or accord, learn how to drive properly first and how to work on cars with what your budget provides you. There's a reason why insurance companies lower their rates for people over 25.
Old 10-07-08, 09:18 PM
roxanne
Pole Position

I purchased my sc300 just before I turned 18, and the insurance was no worse than that of my previous 2001 Chevy s10 (God bless it) so honestly the only thing you're paying for is your age assuming you have a clean record. The car probably won't make your premiums rise considering it's age. As far as the stock upkeep, I'll be honest you're taking a chance. Being a Lexus, these cars aren't exactly the cheapest fix, but you can a lot of times find universal cheaper parts if you do enough digging. And hey, eventually everything will have been replaced and you'll have a new car again!
Old 10-07-08, 09:57 PM
Blkexcoupe
Lead Lap

Received 551 Likes on 370 Posts

I don't care about it handling like a sports car, but rather it being stable and quiet at highway speeds. It would be more for transportation than entertainment, but I do want to be proud of owning it, unlike a Camry which is pretty much a boring appliance.
You're going to want to change the suspension for that. Due to the age and weight of these cars most of their suspension components are shot, so you'll need at least new shocks and good tires for it to be stable and smooth on the highway.
Old 10-08-08, 01:05 AM
FormosaSC
Lexus Champion

if you want a stable, comfortable, quiet.. etc car, you need to spend money on the suspension stuff. If you spend 5g on the car, you will HAVE to spend another 1g on the suspension and mounts in order for the car to ride the way it was meant to ride, dont expect a magic carpet ride when all the bushings and mounts are done.
Old 10-08-08, 03:08 PM
Edmo83
Driver

get the SC just because it's safer than the accord or civic. It might be a bit more in gas, maintenence and insurance, but you only live once.

Also, wait for a good deal, I got mines with low miles, healthy bushings, recent timing belt for under 4. and red. lol. Also look for a garage kept one nad highway miles car.

good luck with your choice. but remember these cars are heavy for a reason, to protect us "just in case".

Ed

Quick Reply: Is the SC right?