SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Is the SC right?

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-08, 03:37 PM
C-Thrilla
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What I've learned in life.
Do what you want, follow you dreams and goals. Reach them. There's no guarantee you bee here tomorrow thus you could never get the experience of driving or owning an SC. If it's meant to be you'll make it happen.
If you don't end up likingit or can't afford to maintain it, then sell it. You'll realize you dream and goal were attained thus giving you memories and feeling of accomplishment which you can always reflect on to motivate you for other ventures in life.
The car you drive defiantly has an impact on your attitude which will affect the way people perceive you. If your constantly stinking of confidence because your living your dream people will see that and admire you for it.
Doors will open.
That's my life at least and living the Dream! hehe
Old 10-08-08, 03:48 PM
P Weezy
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by SHOLEXMAN
If your a college student save your money till after school. The SC's are nice cars don't get me wrong ,but the insurance will kill you. If you are under the age of 25 your insurance will kill you. I am not talking about the gas cause that goes on forever (waste of time) its not good. 93 octane gas for both models because of high compression motors. My advise is get a reliable small Toyota,Nissan,or Honda. The way gas is bouncing around your best bet is small.
really...? Hurrmm, im 18 and only pay 80 bucks a month for insurancee ..lmao.

ehh, in my opinion, i think you should go ahead and get an SC. There GREAT cars, and will last you forever. Trust, if u get one, u wont be disappointed.
Old 10-09-08, 02:52 PM
infiniti24
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well i went from a 2003 g35 to the sc and i love it so much more. i find it easyer to maintain though. i find myself putiing money into it all the time.
im redoing the interior and paint and suspension it will run me 5K interior 7K paint 3K suspension. so 15K right there not to mention the 12K i wanna put in the motor. with 30K i might as well but my M3 I want but its your call if you want just a car get just a car. if you want a classy coupe buy a sc not a acura cl
Old 10-09-08, 03:24 PM
LEX_MAN
Lexus Test Driver

Get a cheap reliable car man,the SC will cost too much to repair.If you had your own garage and only paid for parts and labor was free then i would say heck yeah man.But the situation is very different,if your car breaks down,in this case it probably will,since its an old car , and needs a lot of maintenance ,you will suffer a lot.

This is not your regular smal toyota corolla ,where you can spend change to fix,these cars cost a lot to fix especialy the labor.Imagine if you blow a head gasket?Thats $2000

I say dont do it! Wait untill your done with school.and go crazy all you want.
Old 10-09-08, 04:46 PM
kyoso23
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Having owned several Acura Legends, I would recommend one in a heartbeat to someone that wants a nice car but can't be nickle and dimed to death by little quirky things like the SC requires to keep it solid. The maintenance/upkeep is considerably cheaper than on the SC (especially an older one). It's a very nice car to boot. They're two totally different styles of cars though. The SC is simply a nicer car. Just know that it takes a little extra money to keep it that way.

BTW - '93+ Legend Coupes all have the TypeII motor (and available 6 speed, as do the '94-95 GS) and are quite snappy. Stock for stock, I'd put one up against a SC400 any day. They are a front-midship design so the weight distribution is very near 50/50 and although it's FWD, it handles very very well.
Old 10-09-08, 04:58 PM
Kaydee
Hacked CL to become a Mod

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I think you guys are forgetting something...Insurance in Canada is like 3-4x the American amount, so the SC is not what you would call an affordable car. In 3 years of owning it, you may have paid more in insurance than the price

the SC is an expensive car, but the feeling of ownership is priceless. HOWEVER, if you do get the SC be prepared to get raped financially...I did
Old 10-10-08, 06:06 AM
suislide
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you want one then expect to pay a lot in maintenance and insurance. Honestly if u want a car to cruise this would be it. If u want a car w/ similar looks and can corners like if it were on rails then get a S14 240SX
Old 10-10-08, 06:25 AM
swaqqa
Driver

I would say go with your instinct. You loving the sc, Go for it. I dont know what alot of people are talking about that it needs to be maintained alot, but then again I hardly driven any of my sc's. Do i enjoy the car? Hell yea. The looks and compliments I get , is like wow. People beleive my car is a 2003 or better. Especially In NY, its vvery RARE you see a nice hooked up sc. Usually you see them beat up, Hit in one of the rear quarter panel because most likely the person did not baby it in the rain and drifted and hit something, or a sc sitting on 20's with no drop looking dumb as ever.
Old 10-11-08, 09:56 AM
Mr. Burns
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I saw that red SC again yesterday, this time it was being followed by a new BMW 3 Coupe, and the SC competed well. Very well.

I've also read Legends are expensive to maintain and repair, and they need premium fuel as well. So I'm not sure if they really are more reliable/cheaper to own than comparable SC300s.

I considered the Legend before I considered the SC and now the legend doesnt look so hot compared to the SC. Though still a hot car.
Old 10-11-08, 10:17 PM
Edmo83
Driver

I was also considering a Legend coupe before this car since my first car was a 89 Legend LS (Awesome Car). But the Gen2 Legends have a nasty habit of blowing head gaskets around 100-150K miles. It can be costly to repair as well. I do like how it looks, you can always look up how to mate a NSX DOHC head to the Legend's motor(might be a myth)

But get the SC, you won't be disappointed! don't forget the aftermarket support for the SC is sick since we borrow the Supra platform.
Old 10-12-08, 02:31 PM
VJZ
Lead Lap

Here's a thing for you Burns.

I went from having two Toyota Celicas. A 1990 GT coupe and a 93 All-Trac. I should have NEVER sold the Trac. I got the SC and love it to death.

The SC is cheaper on insurance than my 90 Celica was because the SC has ABS.

You won't regret buying one.

I won't be doing much to mine because in a year or two I'm planning on buying an SC430.

Yes the Legends are absolute CRAP. My friend had a 95 Legend Type s or whatever the uprated engine was. Piece of total junk. Blew a head gasket at 143k. 300Z's are a pain to work on and aren't that much fun, especially the 80's ones....FUGLY. Get a 95ish 300ZX TT and you're golden.