Is the SC right?

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-08, 12:20 PM
Mr. Burns
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Is the SC right?

Hi!

I'm new to the forums and have been browsing for a while as I plan on getting a Lexus SC300 from 1992-1993.

At 20 years of age, this is going to be my first car, which seeing as I'm a car buff, is quite a big deal for me. I must say I've fallen in love with the SC, I've always wanted a luxury coupe, and the SC is gorgeous. However because I'm a starving college student, practicality, economy and reliability are very important, and the SC does have quite a bit of competition on my list.

At this point the SC is purely an emotional consideration. My gut tells me to get an old Accord or Civic or something, but those cars are just appliances, my first car is important, it must be something emotional, sexy and fast.

The questions I have for you guys are: should I get an SC or would it be more of a headache than something like an Accord of the same year? How is the reliability and fuel economy of the SC300? Will insurance kill me? What is the highest acceptable mileage when purchasing a used one? Is maintenance/parts expensive? Are there major differences between the SC300 and SC400 when it comes to fuel economy and reliability?

And then there's the competition, I'm also somewhat in love with the Acura Legend Coupe and to a lesser extent the Nissan 300zx. Will any of those cars be better from a reliability/economy/insurance standpoint than the SC? I'm not too concerned with performance as it will be a daily driver and I do not plan on modding it or lowering it or buying new rims. I will be driving it no differently than I would a comparable sedan (i.e. ~speed limit, smooth acceleration, coasting etc...). I do not intend to race this car at lights with my friends' Preludes and Eclipses, but I do want a car that looks good next to the newer models of those cars.

Now I know, the sane thing would be to get something more practical like a civic, but I want something I can be proud of and keep for a while and I really love the SC (and the Legend and the 300zx)!

So is it worth it? Or would the cost of ownership be too high (compared to a civic)? Or would something like a Legend cost less to own (after purchase)?
Old 10-06-08, 12:47 PM
RolxuSC400
Instructor

Originally Posted by Mr. Burns
Hi!

I'm new to the forums and have been browsing for a while as I plan on getting a Lexus SC300 from 1992-1993.

At 20 years of age, this is going to be my first car, which seeing as I'm a car buff, is quite a big deal for me. I must say I've fallen in love with the SC, I've always wanted a luxury coupe, and the SC is gorgeous. However because I'm a starving college student, practicality, economy and reliability are very important, and the SC does have quite a bit of competition on my list.

At this point the SC is purely an emotional consideration. My gut tells me to get an old Accord or Civic or something, but those cars are just appliances, my first car is important, it must be something emotional, sexy and fast.

The questions I have for you guys are: should I get an SC or would it be more of a headache than something like an Accord of the same year? How is the reliability and fuel economy of the SC300? Will insurance kill me? What is the highest acceptable mileage when purchasing a used one? Is maintenance/parts expensive? Are there major differences between the SC300 and SC400 when it comes to fuel economy and reliability?

And then there's the competition, I'm also somewhat in love with the Acura Legend Coupe and to a lesser extent the Nissan 300zx. Will any of those cars be better from a reliability/economy/insurance standpoint than the SC? I'm not too concerned with performance as it will be a daily driver and I do not plan on modding it or lowering it or buying new rims. I will be driving it no differently than I would a comparable sedan (i.e. ~speed limit, smooth acceleration, coasting etc...). I do not intend to race this car at lights with my friends' Preludes and Eclipses, but I do want a car that looks good next to the newer models of those cars.

Now I know, the sane thing would be to get something more practical like a civic, but I want something I can be proud of and keep for a while and I really love the SC (and the Legend and the 300zx)!

So is it worth it? Or would the cost of ownership be too high (compared to a civic)? Or would something like a Legend cost less to own (after purchase)?

Your somewhat contradictory in your summation of what you want but there are a bunch of posts on here I think that will answer some of your questions. Also, I assume BC to mean British Columbia so costs for alot of these things will be different as I dont think alot of SC's made it up north due to exchange rates at the time.

In general there are a few maintenance items that have to be done after a certain mileage intervals (timing belt, fluids, control arms, plugs, wires etc) that can be expensive if you are having others do the work (cost of 90k service at dealer in Virginia is close to $2000 and the control arms alone at the dealer are $700/each for the part there are options for that too). In terms of reliability between the 2 dont think you can make a distinction as they are too similar and each have their own nuances. Also keep in mind one is a V8 other is an 6 for economy. "Safe" Mileage depends on previous owner, if car was kept well and maintained mileage depends on what you are comfortable with...some people freak when they see >100k others say thats just breaking in a Toyota...Judgement call for you.

With regards to the cars you are comparing to its not an apples to apples comparison as I dont think either off them were even close to Lexus's pricepoint or levels of technology. I'd ask for some folks with those cars to chime in. Both are nice choices though but would think the 300z will boost your rates a bit more than the other 2 cars as its considered a "sports car".

Good Luck
Old 10-06-08, 01:17 PM
Ryeno
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think the sc is a cool car but i wouldnt get it if i were you.

You live in canada right? That means it snows. The sc is a front engine, rear wheel drive. That means in the winter your gonna be lucky to even get it out of your drive way.
Old 10-06-08, 01:20 PM
J:M
Pole Position

I don't think the Acura Legend is in the same boat. Just IMO.
Old 10-06-08, 01:47 PM
Mr. Burns
Lexus Champion

A couple of things, here in BC (British Columbia) it almost never snows, rains quite often, but we'd be lucky to see snow during the winter, so it definitely is not a problem, besides I can always use my parents' cars if weather gets too bad. As for cost, the SC300/400 go for about $5k around here (150k kms/95k miles). This is roughly the same as comparable used Legends and 2k or so less than a 300zx.

I'm the most concerned with how much I would have to put into an SC after I buy it to get it running smoothly and safely. Is working on these cars difficult? I would love to work on it myself, but seeing as it's a relatively high tech luxury car I doubt it would be easy.
Old 10-06-08, 02:14 PM
Kaydee
Hacked CL to become a Mod

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Another BC member!!! welcome
Old 10-06-08, 02:36 PM
SC_coupe
Racer

Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts

I'm an 18 year old university student with an SC400 with 155000km currently. The short answer is I find myself spending a lot of my money to drive this car daily and maintain it. First, there isn't a huge difference in fuel economy when comparing the auto SC300 to the SC400 (2-3 mpg). Neither get particularly good mileage, and the tank is 78 litres. Expect to exceed $100 on a fill up.

As far as reliability, I have had to replace the alternator and power antenna. The previous owner replaced the power steering pump. Standard problems to watch out for on the SC include worn bushings, power steering leak (V8 only), power antenna malfunction, burnt out dash lights, and faded headlights. There are plenty of threads around here on these issues.

The most important thing is to find one that has been maintained. I have changed all my fluids, installed fresh tires, got an alignment and serviced the brakes and it drives like it should. There are no abnormal issues that required extensive labour or parts to fix, no 'headaches.' An SC will really end up costing you only if you buy a car that needs work. It is worth it to pay a premium for an example that has been looked after.

Yes, there are more practical, economical alternatives but I love the SC too much to have gone for anything else in the price range. Its comfortable, luxurious, and affordable. You will most likely have more fun driving a 300zx twin-turbo, and save money with a small car, but the SC strikes the balance between luxury and performance I was looking for. If this sounds appealing, the SC is probably for you.

Last edited by SC_coupe; 10-06-08 at 02:59 PM.
Old 10-06-08, 02:53 PM
SHOLEXMAN
Lexus Test Driver

If your a college student save your money till after school. The SC's are nice cars don't get me wrong ,but the insurance will kill you. If you are under the age of 25 your insurance will kill you. I am not talking about the gas cause that goes on forever (waste of time) its not good. 93 octane gas for both models because of high compression motors. My advise is get a reliable small Toyota,Nissan,or Honda. The way gas is bouncing around your best bet is small.
Old 10-06-08, 03:52 PM
Blkexcoupe
Lead Lap

Received 551 Likes on 370 Posts

I'm not too concerned with performance as it will be a daily driver and I do not plan on modding it or lowering it or buying new rims. I will be driving it no differently than I would a comparable sedan (i.e. ~speed limit, smooth acceleration, coasting etc...). I do not intend to race this car at lights with my friends' Preludes and Eclipses, but I do want a car that looks good next to the newer models of those cars.
Sounds like you just need a simple, reliable car that is cheap and economical. When you're ready to start modding you can come back to the SC.

I learned how to drive in a 93 sc300 when I had my learners permit and ended up with my sisters old 93 honda accord a year or two later because my parents were getting sick of my high insurance rates (I remember it was like $2500 a year for a 02 Camry!). Over the past 5-6 years I've had the opportunity to enjoy a variety of car mostly different civics, integras, accords, s2k, 240sx, evo, and other toyotas (both personal and friend's cars), but the one that has always stayed with me was the accord because of how little it had cost me to keep it, but I eventually I had to sell the accord because I couldn't fit the SC and accord in 1 parking spot. The accord saved me so much insurance money over the years when I claimed it as my daily and other cars as my weekend car.

I returned to the SC world because I can afford to own the car now, and I really wanted to drive one again after all these years. My SC is about $1700 a year for full coverage insurance or 600 for liability only. The full coverage is pretty bad considering I'm 20 with no accidents or tickets on my driving record at all. I spend about $55 every 2 weeks for gas on my SC because it sits on my driveway 80% of the week.

If I was in your situation I'd take that accord or civic right now and get a SC in a few years if you still want it. Out of all the cars you listed the only car I haven't driven or worked on is the 300zx, but I've been told that the engine is a nightmare to work on because it requires dropping the motor. The legends engine bay is horrible (you need tiny hands to work) and they're known for blown head gaskets. The SC isn't a complicated car to work on, but it requires having the right tools which can add up fast if you buy them. I got my SC in January and until now I've had a couple thousand in maintenance done to it because it has had some big things done to it (t-belt service, spark plugs, all fluids flushed, rear main seal replaced). I like my SC a lot, but its not always the right car to have.
Old 10-06-08, 05:58 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 350 Likes on 226 Posts

You're over thinking this purchase. Either drive it and like it, or skip it and don't. Cars are not future plans, financial investments, or otherwise...... they are present transportation.

Some of you just said "wait they are financial investments" No..... they are not. They have the highest depreciation of anything on the planet you spend that kind of money on. If that's your investment portfolio, you got more problems than which car to buy.

They are for entertainment and transportation purposes only.
Old 10-06-08, 06:13 PM
DRFT103
Lead Lap

dude, i'm 22.. trust me, if you're in college, get an SC! you'd be suprised as to how many compliments on your car you'll get from chicks. come'on college is suposed to be the time of your life.. have a sick car to go along with it! you'll thank me later!
Old 10-06-08, 06:54 PM
Mr. Burns
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by O. L. T.
You're over thinking this purchase. Either drive it and like it, or skip it and don't. Cars are not future plans, financial investments, or otherwise...... they are present transportation.

Some of you just said "wait they are financial investments" No..... they are not. They have the highest depreciation of anything on the planet you spend that kind of money on. If that's your investment portfolio, you got more problems than which car to buy.

They are for entertainment and transportation purposes only.

Oh I really like it, but I just want to be aware of the costs it may present me down the road, compared to a relatively soulless car like an Accord or Civic. I think it's obvious that it will cost more to maintain than those cars, but I just want to know if its worth it and if its manageable.

Thanks for all the suggestions and feedback guys. I've been thinking that the only thing that will prevent me from buying one would be high insurance compared to an accord. Gas wont be a problem I guess and I really do want to learn how to work on cars so maintenance will be done by myself. And of course if it turns out to be too much then I'll just polish and detail it and sell it for 1k above what I paid for it

Question, and I'm sorry if it's a really stupid one, but if the car itself costs $5000, why would they charge $1700/year or thereabouts for insurance? In a few years you would have paid them more than the car is worth, isn't that kind of pointless? And would it be significantly cheaper if my dad insured the car as him being the primary user and the SC being his recreation car rather than insuring the SC as my car?
Old 10-06-08, 07:05 PM
SHOLEXMAN
Lexus Test Driver

Question, and I'm sorry if it's a really stupid one, but if the car itself costs $5000, why would they charge $1700/year or thereabouts for insurance? In a few years you would have paid them more than the car is worth, isn't that kind of pointless? And would it be significantly cheaper if my dad insured the car as him being the primary user and the SC being his recreation car rather than insuring the SC as my car?
The insurance company needs to make money man. Plus they have to charge a certain rate cause in your range people get in accidents a lot! It would be cheaper depending on how your dad's record is. If his record sucks with points it might just be the same or better by yourself.
Old 10-06-08, 07:24 PM
Mr. Burns
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by SHOLEXMAN
The insurance company needs to make money man. Plus they have to charge a certain rate cause in your range people get in accidents a lot! It would be cheaper depending on how your dad's record is. If his record sucks with points it might just be the same or better by yourself.
Well he's got 30 years of driving experience with a perfect record.
Old 10-06-08, 07:44 PM
Blkexcoupe
Lead Lap

Received 551 Likes on 370 Posts

The reason why the insurance is so high is because the cost to replace parts on this car isn't cheap. Everyone on the Policy has to have 1 car before someone can have a 2nd.

Quick Reply: Is the SC right?