SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Why my sig is a lie!

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-02, 04:43 PM
Ebanks
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why my sig is a lie!

In October (the beginning of October actually) we talked with Brian Crower on the phone, and the following day wired him the 50% deposit necessary to get him started on the stroker kit they make for the 2jz. About a month later we called to make sure everything was going smoothly, and that it would still be ready at the planned early Jan date. Well, Brian didn't even know that he was supposed to be making us a kit. He had been wondering where that money had come from apparently, but just didn't care enough to just see where/who the wire was from.

Anyways, at this point I was hoping they could move it up on the "to do" list and bust it out in 2 months to still meet our original date, after all he had our money for a month and had done nothing. But to my surprise he now said it was going to be 3 months from now (beginnning of November) even though it was his fault. So we figure that now he knows about it he should be working on it. We begin calling in mid/end of jan to check the status, and he doesn't know, etc., etc. He is going to have to call the crank shop to find out. Well, apparently getting ahold of the crank shop is pretty tough because he didn't call back after about a week. We call him again, and he tells us he will call us back when he hears from the crank shop. Anyways, after a few more days of things like this he informs us that he doesn't think he is going to be able to make the kit for us now, that he is too busy. I wish I had a business that kept me SO busy that I didn't need a $5000 sale.

Anyways, the point is that had he told us in October that he couldn't do it, we could have had the car up and running with stock displacement within about a month or two. Now we sat for 4 months and did nothing with the motor, only to do something we could have done in the beginning.

I will give him credit that he did quick work with my cams at a very reasonably price. I had them back within about 6 weeks (it took a few calls as well).

At this point we are now building 2 motors at stock displacement so we have a spare. We are using my old Crower rods in the spare, which are still useable from my last motor, and Pauter Rods (which is what I will use from now on unless I have a problem) in the motor that is going in the car. Both cars are getting Greddy Forged Pistons.

Just thought I would let everyone know my experience with Crower, and why my sig is a lie

-Ethan
Old 02-18-02, 06:38 PM
Rob_O
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nothing like good customer service to really make a project come together.

I feel your pain, I've had those "I'll have it done in a day or 2" jobs take 3 or 4 weeks at the machine shop.

Rob_O
Old 02-18-02, 08:23 PM
SCV8
Instructor

I've had a bad experience with a clutch I got from some place called West Coast Fiero(it was for that car).
Got the wrong parts,sent back parts that didn't work,broke the rest,and got nothing;clutch wound up costing $550!
They won't return calls either.
So,I always try and use oem parts,one way or another,since life's too short to mess with people that don't take their business seriously.
Old 02-19-02, 05:01 AM
SC300TURBO
Lexus Test Driver

ethan give toyomoto a call they have a 3.3 stroker kit...and could proablly get it to you pretty quick if you ask nice....Jeff 305-599-3050 Jeff
Old 02-19-02, 11:08 AM
Ebanks
Lexus Champion

Jeff-

I have already ordered all the other parts to go stock displacement. How much is the 3.3 kit and who makes it? Once I go through a few of these motors I may end up going that route eventually.

-Ethan
Old 02-19-02, 12:27 PM
Rob_O
Rookie

Originally posted by Ebanks
Once I go through a few of these motors I may end up going that route eventually
I like that attitude... it's not a matter of if you blow something up but when it will happen.

Rob_O
Old 02-19-02, 12:33 PM
CmputerWiz
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by Rob_O

I like that attitude... it's not a matter of if you blow something up but when it will happen.

Rob_O

Amen.

SR
Old 02-19-02, 01:29 PM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I heard a similar thing with HMS as I'm sure most of you know by now.
Old 02-19-02, 04:25 PM
SCV8
Instructor

Does anyone make a kit to de-stroke the motor.
Seems to me that would be more reliable.
Higher boost,wicked cams,higher rpms...
Old 02-19-02, 05:39 PM
Lex Luthor
Lexus Champion

Ethan, you had mentioned to me that you weren't very happy with Brian, but that you would wait to make judgement. Well, I guess this is the result. Unbelievable. I won't get started on how livid I would be, I guess it's best to just get past it, but I won't give them my business after hearing that. Was Brian able to do the 272 duration that you wanted? As far as the Toyomoto stroker, doen't Lance use the JUN kit? I'm sure you can hit your target rwhp numbers on stock displacement, the stroker can be a treat for later, when you tire of 900hp. I like the Pauter rods, nice design and manufacture. The GReddy pistons have a nice dish, no? What CR are you looking for between pistons, combustion chamber, and head gasket, around 8:1? SCV8, the 2JZ already has a favorable rod to stroke ratio, at least IMO, I don't see the need to destroke it, unless you're looking to rev it past 7000rpm, and then you'd have to re-engineer everything for high-rpm usage, port size and configuration, combustion chamber size, bowl work, the entire valvetrain, etc. Besides, there's already such a proven combination, 1000hp on 3.0litres no problem, stroked to 3.3litres i'd estimate (without doing the math, and without getting into the diminishing gains in volumetric efficiency at those levels) another 10% or more in rwhp. Big things.
Old 02-20-02, 12:31 AM
Ebanks
Lexus Champion

The cams did end up at a 272. Also, we have some wild tranny stuff in the works, so you guys will have to wait and see... Hopefully if we can get the gear ratios selected correctly my car may be faster than I thought it would be Also, I should be able to post pics of the cage by the end of this week.

-Ethan
Old 02-20-02, 05:16 AM
SC300TURBO
Lexus Test Driver

the toyomoto stroker is made by toyomoto..he has had it for several years just dosent advertise it much....the hp differance is about 10% but the TQ is alot higher also...you get alot of low end TQ....i think the kit retails for $5500....with crank ,pistons, and rods...i dont know what else is included......will definitly help....

as for revs..the 2jz can handle 9000rpms with upgraded valve springs and buckets.........so reving isnt a factor..the 3.0l revs like a mother fu-ker and makes alot of hp...no need to ever destroke the 2jz....that would be a crime....
Ethan...cant wait to see the completed product...youll be giving us lexus guys some respect from the supra owners
Jeff
Old 02-20-02, 10:32 AM
Ebanks
Lexus Champion

Jeff-

Hopefully it will be done soon and we can see that massive money wasted makes a 13 second lexus j/k

So Toyomoto has the facilities to make cranks, rods, and pistons? I am assuming they source that out to someone and have it made to there specs... Do you know who does it for them, or do they really manufacture it themselves?

Thanks

-Ethan
Old 02-20-02, 03:02 PM
Lex Luthor
Lexus Champion

9000rpm w/ springs and buckets? Didn't know that, impressive. Even the 377c.i. de-stroked SBC 400 we built a few years ago didn't rev like that. A 2JZ @ 9000rpm must sound wild. I wasn't aware that Lance had manufacturing capabilities like that, if not, I wonder who he farms it out to. I would never hesitate to buy product from Mr. Ho Lung. Ethan, interesting things with the trans, keep us posted. Are you not using the Lexus auto? Lance hit that 10.94 with a built Lexus core, didn't he Jeff? If not then lemme guess, a TH400 or, if you're really serious, a 2spd PG. 13sec, funny, only guys I know that talk like that are lookin' to make some money with the car, hehe.
Attached Thumbnails Why my sig is a lie!-compressed-formula-eng-on-stand.jpg  
Old 02-20-02, 03:21 PM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

9000 seems quite feasible

I6 motors rev high easy...

take the RB26DETT for example; its even more rev happy... lots of bore and low stroke; while the 2jz is nearly equal if i'm not mistaken...

my point is that the 400R can rev to 10k as a stock production vehicle; i think a 2jz could do 9k without too much work

9k really isn't all that much really... the big hp Skylines are running crazy powerbands over in japan... some have 13,000rpm+ redlines...

I6 at 9k sounds like... well the second most beautiful sound in the world

--------------------

Lex you did the destroked 400 sbc? damn i always wanted to do that setup... SBCs that rev high sound sweeeet... 377s rev like mad for a pushrod motor

Quick Reply: Why my sig is a lie!