SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Lexus SC300 vs BMW M3

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-03, 11:55 PM
howiedoit
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally posted by Baby ///M3
The M3 isn't a bad car at all. Compared to the SC3/4s, the BMW is lighter, more nimble and less prone to electrical problems as seen on many early SCs.
electrical problems on sc's? is that true? i haven't heard too much about that, besides the dash lights going out. i thought bmw's are the ones with the electrical problems? in fact, my gf just ditched her 97 3-series for a g35 because of all the electrical problems that came with the bimmer.
Old 06-09-03, 11:58 PM
Baby ///M3
Lexus Champion

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

Sorry, let me rephrase what I said.

I was referring to the needles going out and the LCD displays on A/C control unit darkening on earlier models.

BMW's dashboards and A/C control units (at least on pre-96's **** A/C units) usually last for a long time and do not have such problems.

As for other electrical problems, you're right, BMW still lags behind Lexus.

Jon

Originally posted by howiedoit
electrical problems on sc's? is that true? i haven't heard too much about that, besides the dash lights going out. i thought bmw's are the ones with the electrical problems? in fact, my gf just ditched her 97 3-series for a g35 because of all the electrical problems that came with the bimmer.
Old 06-10-03, 05:11 AM
Grimpy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

With your budget, I would go with the M3. If you have $15k to spend on mods, go with the SC and slap in the 2jzgte. Or... you could always do what this one guy is doing... 2jzgte on a 328i ...
Old 06-10-03, 08:17 AM
vondy21
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I would say

If you want a car you dont have to worry about get the lexus. If you want a car that is more fun to drive and handles the road better (stock) get the Bimmer. I had a 94 325 before I got my 98 sc300. True there were several broken parts to fix but IF you can do the work yourself it is no more expensive than fixing any other car. The same parts go out on all the Bimmers at the same mileage so you can at least know what is about to happen. The Bimmers are not as luxurious and quite... but they are road machines.... they are not supposed to be quite and perfect. They also have a 50/50 weight distribution front and rear.

BMW is NOT crap. American cars are crap. Kias are crap. Compared to Lexus/Toyota on a reliability scale, everything is crap.

I would get a 97 or above, 97 is when they made some changes. And dont get an auto on the 90 models....its a crappy GMC transmission that will go out on you.

Also check out www.roadfly.com, great forums there for BMW.

As much as I love my Lexus it still does not have that European feel. The Toyota parts like the electric window buttons and the stupid "I have to stop halfway when closing" moon roof get on my nerves. The Bimmers have no relationship to the regular cars. And the company is one of the few remaining Family run car companies.

So its up to you. But if you are going to race these than it doesn't matter.... they will both fall apart.
Old 06-10-03, 07:03 PM
D2-AUTOSPORT
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you are thinking of the Bimmer, then just read the E36 buyers guide that was compiled in European Car about 2-3 months ago. it chronicles the electrical nightmares, cheap interior bits, rear suspension carrier problems etc. Those things would really scare me away from BMW. Plus like many others said, the cars usually feel their age (in the interior), by that I mean creaky, brittle, etc. The Lexus interior stil looks fresh, and as far as burnt out needles, and displays go, there is one point that no one mentioned, ITS JUST THE BULB THAT GOES, the parts still works!! My climate screen bulb went about 4months ago (just to lazy to replace). I think reliability and premium vehicles go hand in hand. IMO there are not many cars that have held up styling wise with the SC. The car was introduced over 11 years ago, yet a clean 97+ model looks like it just left the showroom, the Beamer in comparison looks dated!

Get urself a SC and jam the biggest blowdryer you can under the hood!!