SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Lexus SC300 vs BMW M3

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-02 | 08:43 PM
Goose
Driver School Candidate

Default Lexus SC300 vs BMW M3

Okay, I'm in the market for a car, I don't plan on buying soon, but if a good deal comes along, I'll take it. Right now, I'm trying to find out as much information about these two cars as I can.

I'll say that my budget is right around $20K and I can pick up an old SC300, turbo it, do some visual mods and be happy. On the other hand I could pick up a 1995 M3 from anywhere between $15-20K and work with it. Though this leaves almost no room to modify the car, but I also get an awesome car that is a great performer and luxurous to boot.

I really don't know much about the M3s, are they reliable? I've heard that they tend to break the small things and are very expensive to maintain.

How do the two cars compare. Which car would you choose?
Old 02-19-02 | 05:48 AM
Rob_O
Rookie

Parts for either car will be expensive, no question about that.

As far as reliability, Lexus = Toyota and that's about all I need to say about that.

You will pay more for the BMW, you will get more out of it when you sell it. As with any modded car you will not get back the money you spend on mods if you trick out the lexus. You will, however, have a car that can hand a new M3 its @ss in just about any circumstance and that's gotta be worth something to ya

Rob_O
Old 02-19-02 | 08:49 AM
Goose
Driver School Candidate

Actually, I think that other than price, these cars are pretty well matched. I also think that the M3 is a more nimble car than the SC300. Both cars can be tuned into monsters, but since I probably won't be driving more than 15,000 miles a year, I think that I'd be okay purchasing a car that has around 100k-110k miles on it.

If I were to buy the BMW, I'd go the Dinan supercharger route.
With the SC300, it would be Toyomoto. The only problem is that I have been in neither car, so I can't really compare.

As of now, I'm leaning more toward the BMW side, but a string arguments for the SC300, would sway me over.

I like the big power capabilities that the SC300 has for the money (its a good bang for the buck car), but since my previous car handled very well, I am sure that I would want a car that could handle just as well. I see this in the BMW.

Both cars are a visual treat to look at. They are both very well designed and will turn heads.

Come on, someone make a strong argument for the SC300.

Last edited by Goose; 02-19-02 at 07:08 PM.
Old 02-19-02 | 09:51 AM
1BomexLex
Lead Lap

well.. in my opinion...
around my area you always see BMWs
two door and four door..,.. they are everywere
especially the 3 series... there are alotta lexus around here too
but you dont see as many SC models around
the M3 does look like the 3 series two door in alot of ways
i would go with the SC since there aer fewer cars of that model in the area just to be different
Old 02-19-02 | 01:46 PM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic
CL Folding 1M

the SC3 with suspension upgrades can hand easily with a E36 M3... they don't handle near as good as everyone says they do... from what I've heard is that the M3 can outhandle almost anything... which is BS...

I can count many many many cars that will outhandle a M3.

The SC won't be as tossable because of the longer wheelbase; but it can still hang in the turns; just not on auto-x courses.

And an M3 is typical BMW build quality; which is total crap. refined but crap.
Old 02-19-02 | 04:13 PM
lex400sc
Lexus Fanatic

Older BMWs begin to rattle and the engine gets louder and louder (not in a good way either). I drove a 1995 3-series once and when I started her up, the whole frame had a quick shake (possibly loose engine mounts?). Reminded me of older VWs or diesel trucks.
Old 02-19-02 | 04:24 PM
machinegt
Pole Position

i think the m3 looks ugly. the sc is sexier.
Old 02-19-02 | 05:01 PM
SupraCoup3
Lexus Champion

As far as Lexus vs. BMW goes, I'd go with the Lexus (duh) BMWs are very common -- In my town BMWs are more popular than hondas. Ok so my town is full of rich snobs. Which brings me to my next point. Look at the majority of people who drive them. It's just the "I've got a BMW" factor. I mean it may be different where you come from, but around here, people own them just to say they've got one. If you want something really unique, go with the SC, put a do-luck body kit on it for something agressive, or autoculture for more refinement.

And then when someone thinks, "it's just a lexus coupe."

Toss them, turn around, and give them their doors back that you just blew off.

You may not handle quite as well w/ the longer wheel base, but with all the supra components available for the SC300, you'll be close to rail riding.

Go get a Lexus SupraCoup 300
Old 02-19-02 | 07:05 PM
Goose
Driver School Candidate

Originally posted by Bean
And an M3 is typical BMW build quality; which is total crap. refined but crap.
Care to explain?
Old 02-19-02 | 07:16 PM
MadMaxSC400
Lexus Test Driver

If you like the BMW M3 as I did you'll realize their dealers are full of pompous as$holes. Next, their idea of a warranty (new or used) is more like an insurance policy, where you have to pay a deductible on certain repairs. The ealier M3's had a lot of plastic parts, like the water pump impeller, which has bbeen known to shatter for no apparent reason under hard acceleration. Very costly.
The more I researched the car the more I was afraid I wouldn't be able to afford maintenance. If you want performance, Dinan in San Francisco is a world famous tuning shop like AC Schnitzer. But everything German is overpriced, because it's "better". I compared the E46 to a ZO6 Corvette, and the salesman I was talking to said "a Corvette is fine if you want a secondary car..." meaning BMW is somehow superior. A turbo SC300 will be a fun, reliable car that will slaughter any M3, M5, Z8, whatever.. and you'll be driving an insanely fast luxury car! Can't beat Toyota.
Old 02-20-02 | 09:30 AM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic
CL Folding 1M

Originally posted by Goose

Care to explain?
I think MadMaxSC4 just did

BMW cars are really unreliable; and the only reason you don't hear about it in magazines is because its german and they also pay off companies to not put out bad things about them

did you know that the first set of new 02 M3s had series valvetrain problems? they wore the cams down to nubs

the many different bimmers also rattle, etc...

by refined i mean the interior and exterior design shape and ergonomics are very mature; but they are built with crappy parts; and they break

A Z06 would be a more reliable car than a M3 by a long shot. Its also faster, it handles better, every aspect of the car is better.

Not to mention there's a ***** 17 year old running around town trying to race everyone in his new "daddy's bought" silver M3. My friend busted his *** in the WRX. pulled about 4 cars on him out of the whole and had about 6 through 4th gear...
it was sickening
Old 02-20-02 | 02:05 PM
The Ikon
Lexus Champion

Two great choices my friend... It truly depends on your personality. The M3 is GREAT for what it is supposed to do and "M" value for the long term. The SC3 with turbo mod and MUCH better suspension(the M3 is GREAT in the curves and it has NO peer in it's class!) set up for what I've gotten is great too w/Lexus realiability... You can not go wrong...

Pick your poison and die happy!

The Ikon
Old 02-20-02 | 02:19 PM
Goose
Driver School Candidate

Thanks MadMaxSC400, that was the answer that I was looking for.
Old 02-21-02 | 12:32 AM
Camshaft
Lead Lap

I chose the SC3 because of aftermarket support over the SC4. Plus it has the stick. I also have looked at BMW's before I chose the Lex, and 95% of them rattled, and had dime store interiors. The leather is excellent, for some reason German cows must be better than Japanese. The Toyota factor is transferable to the shop work. Not many people can provide good work on a luxury car, but people that work with Toyotas can. That makes repairs and upkeep a lot cheaper. Find a mechanic that works on BMWs, and then find one that will work on Toyotas. Odds are there will be a substancial price difference. There are a ****-load of BMWs around this area, and not many SC3's. 6 in this area that I know of, to be exact. Also, Mercedes, after being bought out by Chrysler, has gone down in quality. Chrysler decided that the the quality program was too expensive, and downgraded. That means parts with less stress standards, thinner surfaces, and cheaper materials. Same engineering, just weaker stuff.

In short, new BMW's = near perfect cars. Used, I'll pass.
Lexus = there for the long haul. I know of a well cared for '91 ES250 that is spectacular.
Old 06-09-03 | 11:52 PM
Baby ///M3
Lexus Champion

The M3 isn't a bad car at all. Compared to the SC3/4s, the BMW is lighter, more nimble and less prone to electrical problems as seen on many early SCs.

With that said, I would have to agree with many of you that in terms of refinement, the M3 or any other 3 series does not compare to the Lexus model line ups. The muffler on BMWs tend to go bad after 50k miles, causing them to sound like ricers with aftermarket exhausts. Early 3 series' interior also suffers from build quality problems. However, according to my observation, the BMW's dashboard, A/C unit and leather seats definitely tend to hold up much better than many of the early built SCs.

While Dinan is a respected and well known tuner for BMWs, most of M3 owners actually chose to go with Active Autowerke turbo kits when it comes to FI. AA is known for creating the fastest FI M3 as great customer service. Other more popular tuners from the States include www.turnermotorsport.com, ERT, RMS, and Korman.

As far as used cars go. I'd say as long as it's been properly taken cared of, it should last a long time without causing too much troubles. It doesn't really matter if it's a BMW or Lexus.

Ask me how I know.

Regards,

Jon

Quick Reply: Lexus SC300 vs BMW M3