SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

re: HID lights and this discussions going around.

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-02, 10:31 AM
Anthracite SC
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default re: HID lights and this discussions going around.

I see all these back and forth 2nd guessing going on in this forum, about HID aftermarket lights and that our sc 9006 projector lenses are not "designed" for it..etc etc.

Whatever.

Look, I've had the phillips HID for over 2 years. They emitted a bright 4000K bright white light very similar to the GS400 and equal to. I have a friend who owns a GS400, and there was no difference in the intensity of his stock set up and mine.
Whoever has had an issue about it, probably didn't set it up right or something of that nature.

Just recently, I traded in my phillips HID lights for vision's HID kit. The VISION kit is an INTENSE blue/green light that is JUST like the Honda S200 lights.

People who've seen my car at night w/my HID projectors and HID fogs, say my car looks like a freight train going down the highway.

On the road, no only did I light up my lane, on a 3 lane road, but my lights lit up the 2 lanes next to me as well. Thats how BRIGHT these lights are.

So people who go back and forth about whether these lights work or not, most likely don't own them and go by heresay. If they DO own them, I invite them to see my lights and I'll show them how they should look.

AFTERMARKET BULBS that IMITIATE HID are crap.

Bulbs are crap. They actually take AWAY light because of their color. HID bulbs are twice as bright and there is no comparison.

hoops_24, you SHOULD buy a TRUE HID conversion kit, if you want the look. They have a LARGE lights\ spread and do not have to be auto leveled.

Everyone else is just worrying too much. I can't believe sometimes how much complaining goes on in here. And so much second guessing.

They run COOLER than those aftermarket bulbs and have less chance of burning your wires than those bulbs.

HID lights work FINE in projector lenses like the ones in the SC400. GEt over it, to the ones who keep 2nd guessing. If you're that worried, don't buy them.

For those who do own the RIGHT ones, and installed them CORRECTLY there is no comparison. I am only selling because I can't afford it, not because the lights are bad.

Anthracite SC
Old 02-19-02, 10:35 AM
Anthracite SC
Lexus Test Driver

Default Currently.

Currently, I still run the vision HID light setup. No problems. Bright Blue/green light.

I actually BOUGHT the K2 headlight set, thinking I'd try a PURPLE hue, but realized my funds couldn't handle it. That is WHY I am selling my k2 kit. The K2 kit is supposed to be brighter than the ones I have now. That is why I'm selliing them

Anthracite.
Old 02-19-02, 01:57 PM
hoops_24
Pole Position

Where and how much is the K2 kit??
Old 02-19-02, 02:06 PM
Anthracite SC
Lexus Test Driver

Default email me.

email me at jibba_jabba74@yahoo.com

it's 400 bucks for the kit. I have a brand new kit that's not been opened that I can send over to you right away.

I bought it for 435 bucks on Friday, but I need the funds so I'm turning around and selling it. Online it's 435 bucks and the guy who sold them to me, isn't selling them anymore. He ran out.

www.hidconversions.com is where you can see what they look like.

If you want them hoops, email me and we'll go over the details.
Old 02-19-02, 02:10 PM
sc400
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Anthracite et al,

I'm very interested in getting an hid for my '96 sc400.
Consider how bright you described your hid is has any cops given you any troubles?

I've encountered quite a few racist cops and don't want them to use the brightness of the hid as a reason to pull me over.
Old 02-19-02, 02:18 PM
Anthracite SC
Lexus Test Driver

Default No problems

Where in the bay area are you located?

I live very close to San Francisco, and I haven't had any problems.
I think the cops here have given up. There are just to many hondas/acuras running around w/HIDs, supwhite bulbs, and strobes, and neon for them to bother w/a lexus like mine.

THey are VERY bright, but not bright enough to cause trouble. Again, the are just like stock HIDs in another cars.

You should be fine.
Old 02-19-02, 03:00 PM
lex400sc
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Anthracite, I don't know whether or not you were refer to me as well in this thread, but let me clarify my points...

Our cars never had an OEM HID lighting system designed for it. The system would have included three main pieces: the projector (the focal lens you see when you look directly into your headlight), the 9006 gas-discharge bulb, and the electronic ballast/ignition system. Also keep in mind that HID bulbs emit a 25,000 volt electrical arc to excite the noble gases within itself which is not the within design specifications for a halogen wiring harness. This is not neccessarily bad, just puts strain on your alternator and battery unless you put a relay directly to your battery.

An aftermarket HID 'kit' will provide you with two of the three essential pieces: the bulb and ballast (and a battery relay if they're really good kits). Currently, this is the BEST option and the easiest solution for vastly improved lighting for our cars. If you aren't a DIY guy and just want an easy plug and play kit, this is the way to go. I would recommend you buy Anthracite's K2 kits for $400 because that is probably the best system you can buy for that money (by the way they retail for $525-650). I believe he's offering no tax free shipping as well(???). The K2, Vision, Hiper, and Hana kits are all made by the same Korean company and have good reliability and no problematic track records as far as I've researched them. They are the most commonly used aftermarket kits on the road. I was going to buy these K2s off of Anthracite, but my funds fell through at the 11th hour ($750 speeding ticket).

The only point I was trying to make is that if you wanted to obtain the SAME HID effect as the Honda S2000, 2001+ BMWs, and Audi A-series, namely where the intense white light will shift and 'blink' different colors (green, blue, purple) when the car dips----that is an effect only obtainable with a true OE-HID system. The very time and labor intensive job that is entailed in retrofitting an SC with this true HID system would require you to remove/modify the projector, find a donor OE-HID system that is compatible with our headlight housing (they vary in price from $1000 - $2500), and recalibrate the verge points at 25ft and 75 ft distance on a white wall.

This of course is not a common mod for people, but it is the only way to obtain a TRUE HID system that looks identical to an OEM HID-fitted car. Anthracite is correct when he says the HID kit systems will offer the same light intensity and field of view as compared to an OE-HID GS400. But there are definitely some subtle differences from the two (which only trained eyes can really see). I hope this clears things up.

Last edited by lex400sc; 02-19-02 at 03:02 PM.
Old 02-19-02, 03:16 PM
Anthracite SC
Lexus Test Driver

Default No I wasn't referring to you.

I was referring to other posts on the forum concerning people who talk endlessly about bulbs and how great they are. Also they speak of bulbs and how they look the SAME as HID kits, and also that somehow HID kits will burn your wiring.

I just wanted to squash that above nonsense.
I was referring to that.

Lex400sc..you're points are well taken and I agree w/them.
So u still interested in the lights? =) I can get them to you in 2 weeks if u want. email or pm me.

Anthracite SC
Old 02-19-02, 03:52 PM
lex400sc
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: No I wasn't referring to you.

Originally posted by Anthracite SC
I was referring to other posts on the forum concerning people who talk endlessly about bulbs and how great they are. Also they speak of bulbs and how they look the SAME as HID kits, and also that somehow HID kits will burn your wiring.

I just wanted to squash that above nonsense.
I was referring to that.

Lex400sc..you're points are well taken and I agree w/them.
So u still interested in the lights? =) I can get them to you in 2 weeks if u want. email or pm me.

Anthracite SC
Anthracite, I agree. People often confuse xenon gas-filled halogens, with xenon gas-discharge HIDs. Halogens will always be halogens. Like the CRT tube television and VCRs, they have been around for decades and have grown to their technological bounds. The new technology of high intensity discharge is replacing the archaic halogen. Studies show that most accidents occur at night and that HIDs effectively reduce this effect by (a) allowing you to see more and (b) allowing others to see you. The same study showed that it takes a 60 year old 11-times as much light to perform the same task as a 20 year old (we all know how many 60 year olds we see on the road too). Anyway, there is a whole laundry list of reasons why HIDs are the clear choice, but I won't delve into all that. Just do not confuse a halogen bulb that says XENON on it for an HID. This is a marketing trick!

The real use of xenon in these halogens is to reduce the rate of tungsten evaporation from the filament and thus increase the lifespan of the bulb. Tungsten metal is pretty resistant to heat, however when heated to the growing level of wattage neccessary to compete with HIDs, the tungsten filament cracks more often from heat stress and evaporates making the filament thinner and more easily breakable. Also worth noting that halogen bulbs produce MORE heat than they do actual light. Xenon gas is vacuum filled in these halogen bulbs because it is a very heavy element which esssentially acts as an anchor when the tungsten vaporizes. Xenon-enhanced bulbs will give you a 30% lighting improvement, whereas HIDs can yield up to 400% improvement plus reduced infrared and ultraviolet light (the fatiguing elements in halogen lighting).

Now a xenon gas-discharged HID is completely different. Instead of using some flimsy metal filament, the HID uses two electrodes placed in a long glass bulb filled with inert gases and metal salts (the most prominent being xenon). The electrodes discharge a very powerful arc of electricity with excites the metals and produces an intense beam of light which is concentrated and focused by the projector and you knw the rest.

Just remember that buying a single bulb is NO solution. For HIDs you need the whole kit, the special bulb, ballasts, etc.

Last edited by lex400sc; 02-19-02 at 03:54 PM.
Old 02-20-02, 04:31 AM
'S'Low Rider
Driver

Post An observation....

The HID kits for sale are illegal in the United Kingdom......

Why?

Because they dont have the self levelling 'gizmo'......

Not that that stops some people

I thought that the same applied in the USA???????? HID kits for off road use only?
Old 02-20-02, 08:22 AM
howiedoit
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Re: An observation....

Originally posted by 'S'Low Rider

I thought that the same applied in the USA???????? HID kits for off road use only?
Supposedly it is illegal, but like you said, it's not gonna stop people...