SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Heatshield run

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-02, 08:35 PM
Aznteazer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

hey 933005spd, if not enough people want the heatshield, will there be a chance that you won't be making the heatshield??
Old 02-28-02, 11:17 PM
808state
Driver

I've found that the air moves so fast from the outside to the intake and into the engine that insulation doesn't do as much good as directing the flow of air. That's why a box that blocks all sources of air except that front one is preferable to one that's insulated but not well sealed.
why not do both?!?! insulate and direct flow?? remember form and functional should go hand in hand...

if you want those shiny boxes, hey, i say go for it!!! i don't think there's anything wrong with it. "I" just think you might as well go the extra yard since obviously you went 9.

the miata cold air intake link with useful tips and tricks. the links been posted quite a few times if you follow this forum...
http://www.2nd-gen.com/coldair_intake.htm

hey ikon, could you post that link that compared the different pod filters and how little they filter? don't we want to start another pod vs stock debate?? uh ohh...

by the way, i have an unpainted cold air intake from 933005spd. if you're interested, pm me...50 plus shipping. it doesn't fit a 97 cuz of the different maf....)though on the bright side i did a version of peter's BFI...gotta stick with the engineers you know??? ever tried to take thermodynamics?!?? fun course let me tell you

http://www.users.bigpond.com/pgscott/BFIDIY.html

i didn't dyno anything so take my opinion with a grain of salt!!! then again, i'm not selling you anything either so what do i have to gain??? if i was selling something, then yes, i would get things dynoed.

my stages of my intake...
1) stock box, stock filter, modifed stock snorkel...did the scissor snip on the snorkel...felt a very slight reponse but not much. though, my stock filter got dirtier where the opening of the box is. i also think scv8 did the sameat one time..

2) stock box, stock filter, no snorkel...like lex, i did get some bogging around 2000 to 2500 rpm... though i couldn't tell if it was just the car in the wrong gear or what... made a slightly louder intake noise but not as much go. with the snokel off, the filter did get much dirtier.

3) cut off the front end of the stock box, stock filter, heat shield on the side of the stock box that faces the engine and the top to direct the air (just like petes). though, i didn't do the front modification to scoop more air because my year has a slight grille opening already. also put some closed cell foam to try close the box more...all metal covered with high temp paint, and used themotecs on one side of the metal that faces the engine.

the now car really feels more reponsive and revs better....**opinion**

**food for thought... i've had my stock filter for 5 years and it's only slight dirty...that snorkel really does it's job of getting clean cool but restrictive air... with each phase i did, the filter got dirtier which means more air is getting to the box finally or i'm getting really dirty air???

**food for thought... from the pictures, it looks like powerhouses supercharged 400hp lexus uses 2 stock air boxes!!

http://www.powerhousecorp.net/gal_09.htm
http://www.powerhousecorp.net/lexus.htm

dont' think i'll mess with the intake pipe (pipe from the maf to the throttle body). it's already 3.5" i.d... that japanese intake pipe looked cool that pete had mentioned about but as he stated, it actually lost power. but looked nice while doing it!

to everyone out there...although this forum does have some great tips and knowlege, read between the lines!!! question everything...does it sound logical??? more isn't necessarily better...balance! you also have to think outside the box (no pun intended) too...
Old 02-28-02, 11:21 PM
MadMaxSC400
Lexus Test Driver

The only reason I'm talking about the box in that manner is that from 933005spd's perspective the thing's gotta be effective first, but simple to make. Otherwise it costs too much. Whatever you guys do to it afterward is all well and good, but I'm trying to help him out with making something that works and can be built on.
Old 03-19-02, 07:06 AM
933005spd
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Arrow 5 more left .....

Hi guys, I emailed those of you who placed the initial order. The shields are done at the fabricators. I will pick up Friday since I'm on the road. Will ship uncoated ones Friday or Monday at the latest. Black Texture powdercoating will be done next week Mon or Tues, these will be ready to ship on Weds

Anyone interested, email me. I'd be willing to sell all remaining ones to one buyer at a discount.

The coupe has been sold, no more work on the SC's for me. Sorry Guys. I'm off to Land Cruiser world so I'll still be around, but on the LX forums.
Old 03-19-02, 04:14 PM
methodmf
Pole Position

i would like to buy one
lemmie kno the price
email markfu80@yahoo.com
Old 03-25-02, 02:56 PM
933005spd
Lead Lap

Arrow Shipped today

Those of you in and paid have been notified and shields shipped today. Some people dropped out or not replied so I've got 2 black texture and 4 racing silver left. The silver ones were powdercoated free so no $15 upcharge on them.
Attached Thumbnails Heatshield run-d1.jpg  
Old 03-26-02, 01:46 AM
Ryan
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Hey Peter,

I sent you an email earlier, I just sent you another. I want to but the black texture one. I just need to know where to send the check and who to make it out to. Please send me a response.

Thanks,
Ryan
Old 03-28-02, 04:16 PM
methodmf
Pole Position

thanx
juss got it in the mail
that was some fast shipping
Old 09-30-02, 04:23 AM
ChronoJ1
Lexus Champion

any more of these for sale at this time?
Old 09-30-02, 05:43 AM
lex400sc
Lexus Fanatic

Chrono, 6 months late . He sold off his last heat shield a long time ago, as well as his Lex. Heck I don't even think Peter visits here anymore!
Old 09-30-02, 10:25 PM
EmeraldLexuSC3
Pole Position

Received 36 Likes on 18 Posts
Post Your are in Luck!

Originally posted by ChronoJ1
any more of these for sale at this time?
ChronoJ1,
There is one currently on Ebay (Non textured)
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...864079205&rd=1
Old 09-30-02, 10:37 PM
awj
Bluegr*** Performance

That ebay link is wild. That is my car in those pictures. Is that Peter doing that sale? I know it says nicholashorology, but there are some things there that are like deja vu. Anyways, if anyone is so inclined. I will sell mine for 60$. Black textured, all screw except the stock ones.

PM me if interested.
Old 09-30-02, 10:40 PM
933005spd
Lead Lap

Thumbs down nope not mine on ebay, but it is the original data sheet.

If anyone is interested, I can refer you to the fab shop which did these runs for me. (you will need to buy around a dozen of them however)

I am into land cruisers now so the sc runs are not my thing. I'll get another sc in a few years though and still drop by the boards every now and then.

email is in the profile.

Last edited by 933005spd; 10-01-02 at 10:55 AM.