SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

New Sc400 Owner - What Now?

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-08, 08:59 PM
daudi81
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Sc400 Owner - What Now?

So I just bought a '92 SC400 the other day. I have yet to pick it up from the dealership because they are doing the whole inspection and detailing thing.

Here are some pics of the original ad: http://www.ksl.com/index.php?sid=&ni...view&ad=913051

Purchase price was actually $4500 cash, out the door.

The car is really clean for it's age. Much better than 99% of the newer cars I was searching for (2000+ Accords and Civics).

1 owner according to the Carfax. 108k miles, although it practically looks brand new (hasn't been washed or anything yet in the pictures). I couldn't find a small scratch or ding anywhere on the body. Crazy. Interior looks amazing for a 16 year old car.

Anyway, what kind of things should I look for, replace, and/or upgrade when I get the car home? I'm not looking for really any performance mods (although anything cheap and easy wouldn't be bad). I'm more asking about basic maintanence things, such as t-belt, alternator, suspension, etc. It IS a 16 year old car, and I'm sure the original 72yr old owner didn't do a whole lot to the car other than routine stuff.

As far as mods - I'm not much of a "modder", but I am an audiophile nut so a new system will be going in ASAP. Anything I should know before I get started in that area? I will be replacing everything: amps, speakers, subs, wiring, etc.

Anyway - what do you guys think?

Oh yea - forgot to mention the only noticeable thing that needs to be fixed ASAP is the power antenna. It's pretty much dead. The dealer said to get some type of kit from the local stereo shop but I thought I'd ask the experts here first.
Old 10-29-08, 04:12 AM
RolxuSC400
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by daudi81
Anyway, what kind of things should I look for, replace, and/or upgrade when I get the car home? I'm not looking for really any performance mods (although anything cheap and easy wouldn't be bad). I'm more asking about basic maintanence things, such as t-belt, alternator, suspension, etc. It IS a 16 year old car, and I'm sure the original 72yr old owner didn't do a whole lot to the car other than routine stuff.

Oh yea - forgot to mention the only noticeable thing that needs to be fixed ASAP is the power antenna. It's pretty much dead. The dealer said to get some type of kit from the local stereo shop but I thought I'd ask the experts here first.
I suggest reading the stickied thread titled "<<<<NEWBS READ THIS>>>>" then ask any other questions. WRT the antenna you'd know that that, along with the trunk supports, are common problems also discussed in the thread. Read up a bit on the car thats what this forum is awesome about is the wealth of tips and techniques regarding the SC's. Enjoy and happy reading.

BTW - love the Midnight Indigo Pearl not a very common color and Welcome.
Old 10-29-08, 07:27 AM
SC_coupe
Racer

Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts

Welcome. Looks like you got a clean one, the interior looks good. Power antenna broke on my '92 as well. Picked a new one up for $30, and installed it in ten minutes. It's an easy fix. I would strongly recommend flushing the transmission fluid with Toyota T-IV fluid, made a huge difference when I first got my SC400.

Look around, there are a bunch of "Just got an SC, what next..." thread around here. You should find everything you need. The search function is your friend
Old 10-29-08, 07:44 AM
captainsc
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks like a deal. Very clean and good looking. Love the color!!! Things to look for that are common on all of the SC's is the Front LCA bushings (expensive to replace), A/C compressor, at least thats what mine and many others have had to have done to them. I myself am an audiophile so here's what I recommend. Yor are already on the right route with replacing everything cause that's what you'll have to do anyways. The amp cant be reused after a new HU is installed...well only if you want to really mess with the wiring. Replacing the stock sub in the stock location can also done but it takes some modding. Go 2-din for the HU, I have an Alpine IVA-W205 going out to four Alpine 6.5" SPS17C's. Amps are an oldschool Alpine 4-channel, soon to be replaced with a MRP-F250!!! and a TMA 250.1 going to a Kicker CVX10 in the kicker ported box. Sound travel for the sub is tough so make sure to remove the old stock sub so that air can at least slightly travel into the cabin. Any other questions feel free to ask, Im always looking into new things to do with it.
Old 10-30-08, 08:31 AM
gabegtz84
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can get a used one for 20-30 bucks.

Though you can get creative depending on how far you wanna go with your SC.

I am not a big fan of the stock dated antenna, i think taking it off and welding over the hole, laying a little bondo then some paint.

After that put an aftermarket antenna on the inside glass of the rear window Thats super duper sexiness~!

My goal with my SC is to modernize it as much as possible!

Let your creativity be your guide.

Welcome to CL!