SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

SC Navigation Systems

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-02, 10:28 AM
Legends6spd
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question SC Navigation Systems

Did any SC's come with NAV sys's? I'm guessing maybe the 2000 model had it?
Since most of us probably don't, I wondering, how much would it cost to add an aftermarket one?
Other than Alpine, I've not heard anything else that's worthwhile...?
How's the fit going to be? Also would the audio get an upgrade too?
All information would be helpful (cost..etc) !
THANX.
Old 02-22-02, 10:55 AM
supercoupes
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Kenwood here

I just recently installed the Kenwood touchscreen headunit with separate DVD nav unit. The headunit has a built in 16:9 screen, which normally slides in and out of the DIN enclosure.

I modified my headunit so that the screen no longer moves and installed it in place of the original headunit (with the DIN enclosure completely hidden inside the console). The installation looks pretty similar to this one (without all the additional screens and stuff though):

http://www.speedoptions.com/news_article.asp?aID=2216

The screen fits pretty good in the original opening. Only have approx. 1/4 inch on each side which I yet have to cover with some custom made faceplate.

The reason why I got the Kenwood is that I can control both stereo and nav directly on the touchscreen, without having to use some kind of remote. The only problem I have is that the Kenwood software doesn't cover my country really well. But maybe their US data is better and more detailed.

I paid approx. $ 3500 for this system, not including installation. I did the installation in the center console myself, but had the rest (wiring, nav ...) done for another $ 500.

Btw, I don't think any SC400 came with a factory nav, but I'm not completely sure.
Old 02-22-02, 01:09 PM
Legends6spd
Lexus Test Driver

whoa :eek:

those pix looks SWWWEEEEEET!
but $3500 is ALOT to pay w/out installation.
i know someone who got an alpine nav system set up in his 5 series and the total was like $2000 something.
and would alpine fit better so there's no 1/4 inch gap ?
Old 02-22-02, 01:32 PM
AutoCoutureSC
Lexus Fanatic

acctis, i would like to see pics of your setup if possible. i have the alpine iva-c800 and dvd nav for my SC. i used a pocket to fill the rest. so basically i had the whole system upgraded.

i would like to see if the kenwood nav is as good as the alpine. kenwood has a nav system right?
Old 02-22-02, 02:45 PM
lex400sc
Lexus Fanatic

The Kenwood DVD/screen/nav (the new model is the 911) is the best combo out there, IMO. My friend has it setup in his 2000 Bora and I've played with it quite a bit. It has a pretty unique interface. I worked at a high-fi AV retailer for a bit and everyone in the car audio department jocked the Kenwood 910 nav above all others. I personally have no experience or knowledge on the various nav systems, but my coworkers were the pros at it.
Old 02-23-02, 12:11 AM
supercoupes
Lead Lap

Default Gimme your camera

I'll post pics of my installation as soon as I get my hands on a camera.

Legends6spd, I agree 3500 is a lot of money for a nav system. But remember that I bought the system here in europe, which is usually more expensive than the US market. If you want to check your local prices, the models I got are the KNA-DV2200 (nav unit) and KVC-1000 (touchscreen headunit). I think this is an excellent combo, as you don't need any kind of remote control, and the user interface for both the stereo and nav are better than any aftermarket or OEM system. As an alternative, Kenwood also makes the
I don't think you'll find an aftermarket system that will exactly fit into the original opening. If you want to make it look good, you'll have to fabricate some kind of custom faceplate. Also, I think that some of the other units I've seen (for example Alpine, don't remember which model though) would be too big to fit into the opening.
Anyway, before you buy ANY nav system, make sure the software (maps) are detailed enough for your area. I'm still waiting for Kenwood to update their maps for my country. Also, if you wan't to install it like on the pics, make sure the screen isn't too big to fit.

do-luck sc, Kenwood has a nav system. And if you believe the various (european) magazines that reviewed it, it's got to be at least as good as Alpine, Clarion, Panasonic or Blaupunkt. Actually, Blaupunkt even bought a license from Kenwood for the headunit. Now they have the exact same system, only with the Blaupunkt logo on it.
I have the system installed for about 3 weeks now, and so far I love it. Graphics, interface, dependability all work great for me. And as soon as I get that faceplate installed, it looks like an OEM installation.
Old 02-23-02, 12:12 AM
supercoupes
Lead Lap

Default Some pics ...

Here are a few pics of the headunit / interface:
Attached Thumbnails SC Navigation Systems-kenwood1.gif  
Old 02-23-02, 12:13 AM
supercoupes
Lead Lap

Interface ...
Attached Thumbnails SC Navigation Systems-kenwood2.jpg  
Old 02-23-02, 12:14 AM
supercoupes
Lead Lap

last one ... anyone pls teach me how to post multiple pics in one post ...
Attached Thumbnails SC Navigation Systems-kenwood3.jpg  
Old 02-23-02, 02:26 AM
lex400sc
Lexus Fanatic

Acctis, those model numbers and that unit are different from the United States models. The newest Kenwood screen just came out less than a month ago. It's the KVT-911DVD, which is the 6 1/2-inch screen with built in DVD player and tuner. It goes for something like $2500USD. I've seen an 8-inch screen model, but I don't know if that was seperate or not? In order to play DVDs in digital surround you need to buy the brain for an additional $500USD. The GPS nav is the DV2100 (additional $2500USD) which is an auxiliary input that is plugged into the 911. The software is updated regularly and the interface is very cool. It's a 3-d sketched terrain that follows your vehicle around and it has a cool night/day function. When the headlights flick on the colors on the screen invert (negatives) so white screen to black screen (trust me it's cool). Total package will run you close to $7000 including wiring and install labor. These prices could be outdated as it's been a while since I've been in the loop.