SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Repairing cracked window garnishes ...

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-08, 05:45 AM
lexdud
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Repairing cracked window garnishes ...

All,

I did a search and found this link:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...garnish&page=2

... on re-wrapping window garnishes (the good and the bad). I want to try and repair my passenger side window garnish but before I do so I wanted to hear from the forum on the issue. All I want to do is remove the garnish, reinforce the crack in the plastic and reinstall. The covering material is OK, I just want to make sure it does not get any worse.

So, if you have ever attempted this (seemingly) simple task:

- How did you do it?

- What glue/epozy/reinforcement (carbon fiber?) did you use?

- What were the results?

I know I could go out and buy new garnishes ... but isn't this what the forum is all about? I am a DIYer. I really get into many of your projects ... can you advise me on mine?

Thanks ...
Old 12-09-08, 07:11 PM
dwebb99
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lexdud, I have repaired many plastic door panels, window trim, interior car trim, etc, etc. Here's what works great. Carefully remove whatever trim needs repairing. Go to Home Depot and buy a small 12"x12" approx size piece of tin,some super glue and epoxy of your choice. Of course buy epoxy made for plastics and I usually get the stuff that set's up pretty fast (approx5 to 10 minutes at least) I do not buy the stuff that sets up almost instantly. You need the stuff that you can work with alittle BEFORE it sets up and dries on you. I use the super glue for very small cracks or repairs, I use the tin along with epoxy to re-enforce large cracks or breaks. Simply cut the tin with heavy scissors to a size that easily covers the whole break. Bend/form the tin to the proper shape you want. Apply your epoxy to the cracked area and place the tin over the epoxy. Makes for a really strong repair. I use rubber bands,clothes pins,tiny clamps, etc etc, to hold the repair in place till it's dry. I also use a dremel or sand paper to scuff the tin and the plastic before apply the epoxy for a strong bond. There are now alot of different glues/epoxy/etc out there for all kinds of diy repairs. I do like the epoxy and super glues(gels are cool) for car interior/plastic repairs. Have fun, and BTW the tin makes for a very strong repair and works like a charm.